3 Dusk Ball
4 Technical Machine TS-01
2 Night Maintenance
1 Potion

Energy: 15
8 Lightning Energy
5 Water Energy
2 Grass Energy

Luxray has massive potential in the DP-on metagame. My version here is a disruptive and spontaneous build. The ideal start is to use Shinx's recharge turn 1 and get some sort of KO turn two, via Luxio doing 70 or Luxray doing 100. If you can get Luxray or even Luxio out with 2 or 3 energy charged fast (and this is very realistic with Shinx's attack), you ideally want to use wager for disruption. Turn 1 wager is also viable with Chatot: use your hand, wager, use your hand, shuffle for a new hand with Chatot if needed. That sort of thing.

It's called a gambit, because you're making quite a bold risk early on to lock the game down. If you get your Luxray out, or even a Luxio, in matchups such as Kingdra, winning a wager before they get Claydol seals the game.

You have lots of surpise tactics to keep them guessing, such as Ditto, who is very useful in a lot of matchups and gives you that extra turn you might need before everything falls into place. Togekiss is possibly the most random addition to the deck, but I think it has great potential. With Luxray's free retreat and the way it uses the energy, even 1 or 2 extra energies from Serene Grace gives you a lot of firepower for a number of turns. Technical Machine 1 is useful with roseanne's if you can't use Shinx's charge turn 1. Generally, if you can't do that, you want to setup with TS-01. I love the TMs because once you have Claydol in play, you can "discard" them from your hand to draw more, and from the deck for better draw and serene grace by just randomly attaching them to something.

Potion allows Luxray to survive two hits from Kingdra's dragon pump, and turns the tables. Also very useful for Ditto to sway the balance where you are matching another pokémon hit for hit. Perhaps if they are trying to snipe Chatot, it can live for another turn. Those sorts of situations.

I may well be testing this on Saturday, possibly just across the early turns. This deck, or Armaldo (the other imo amazing LA card that just isn't getting enough hype).

Hello,
i wanted to build a Luxray deck too. I think you should drop Ditto and [w] and [g] energies. Then u have 9 slots. You could play some draw supporters, pokeradar maybe or call energies.

Why not a :fighting: or 2? I don't think you need so many :grass: and :water:; though, I understand their use.

A good pokemon, that use [F] energy`?
Most will play
Leafeon variants
Kingdra
Sniper like Froslass

EDIT: Energy patch is good in this deck in my opionion.

If that's the case, cut each by 2 and add 4 Multi.

Magmortar will play with Leafeon - :fire:
Gliscor and Rhyperior will each see play - :fighting:
AMU and Mewtwo will see play - :psychic:

Using Basic Energy over Multi- is preferable for Luxray's second attack (leaving it with an energy/2), but there's only so much room in a deck.

Sticking with 15 Energy:
8 :lightning
3 Call
4 Multi-

i dont think that anyone will play rhyperior. It isn´t good. But you are right with Gliscor.

but basic energies> multi because of Togekiss and Roseanne

I think a couple Rotom (MD) would be better than Togekiss here, especially since you're only running 1-1. The support they offer also makes this less of a gambit because with them you can actually recharge safely and prepare for a longer game if you don't get the early lockdown off. I also think you could benefit from Energy Pickup. That's the best way IMO to follow up one Shock Bolt with another (have LL plus something else on Luxray, Shock away the 2 LL, drop a L from hand next turn, gets heads on a Pickup and grab one of the discarded L from last turn and voila).

I don't know, maybe Dusk Ball and the Potion. I can see the usefulness of the latter against something like Kingdra but you're OHKOing it anyway and with only 1 and no way to search for it or reuse it, I think it can go for sure. As for Dusk Ball, it just seems a bit unnecessary since you already have maxed Roseanne's, Bebe's and those evolving TMs.

I'd drop the togekiss/ditto. Ditto isn't going to come in use with just electric energy. Togekiss isn't really needed with a pokemon that recharges itself and only being able to do it once. I'd put in Call Energy instead of Water, so you don't discard all 3 energy on luxray. If that isn't enough, I guess one of the new heal energies wouldn't be so bad (be a decent way out of paralyzation maybe).

My first thought with Luxray was Dusknoir as the 1-0-1 line, just for the added disruption, but it'd be really hard to power it if you wanted to attack.

Rotom is not a bad idea, but it can definitely be a liability against any deck that can snipe the bench. Thankfully, Luxray can OHKO Empoleon, one of the most popular sniping decks.

I'd definitely throw in a plus power, so you can OHKO those Magmortars or do 100 damage with Luxray's first attack with a lv.X on the field.

Good luck with the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back