M&A Prerelease Report - New Jersey

Discussion in 'Prerelease Tournaments' started by mozartrules, Mar 7, 2004.

1. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

The tournament at TimeWarpComics was well run and there were thirty something participants so we needed 6 rounds of Swiss. Age division was about 50/25/25 percent with 15+ being the largest as usual.

I was not too happy with my 6 boosters, mainly because I only got 4 trainers in total and no Schemers at all (I met a guy who had 5 of them!). The cards were evenly split, but my good cards were Aqua cards so I ended up with this sorry collection (I know the Rhyhorn don't belong there, but I had to pick something that wasn't weak to fighting. Being grass weak is no problem in this set).

3/2 Aqua's Manectric (one holo)
    2/2/1 Aqua's Walrein (one each of the Spheal, one each of Sealeo)
    2 Meowth
    4 Rhyhorn
    2 Aqua's Carvanha (Confuse Ray, a great pick)
    1 Corpish (Toxic Grip)

1 Archie
    1 Aqua Conspirator

11 Water
    5 Electric
    3 Fighting (should not have bothered with those)

I somehow managed to go 6-0 with this :confused: ; all my evolutions were doing well despite my significant weakness to fighting and lack of draw power. I was in serious trouble only once (against Mike T., a very good player who ended up second) where I needed two Thundershocks from Electrike to both paralyze in order to stay alive and that just happened. It was a great tournament, it was interesting to play while knowing so little about the cards (Nick15's spoilers only covers the main Japanese set and most cards are from the decks).

I also had to help an 8-year old with her deck since this was her first tournament. She ended up with a 6-2 Manectric and 4-2 Houndoom deck and had drawn no less than 9 total trainers! She did unfortunately not do very well :(