Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magnaton with Crystal Energy

OK, so if I have the new Magnaton out, its attack says that it does "10 damage times the amount of energy on all of your pokemon". Now, crystal energy says that it provides one of each basic energy attached to any particular pokemon. So let's say I've got 3 pokemon in play, each with a crystal energy as well as a lightning, fighting, and water. Does Magnaton do 180 damage?

I think a similar thing has cropped up before, I think the wording is what's misleading. In the top field of the card there's a single energy symbol, so one would presume a single energy. Mostly this card is to pay for multiple 'specific energy type' costs associated with attacks in a multiple energy type deck (not overly useful IMO), i.e. W,crystal,G,G attaches to AQ kingdra would give W,W,G,G for rapids.

Flippin treeko said:
i.e. W,crystal,G,G attaches to AQ kingdra would give W,W,G,G for rapids.
my interpetation of the card is that it is replaced by one energy of each type - so in the case you're using above, the crystal energy would provide a water and a grass, therefore, the total amount of energy would be 5: the original water and the original 2 grass (3 total) PLUS one water and one grass instead of the crystal. I don't think there's any doubt about that

But the question is what is the ruling for attacks thaty depend on the "amount" of energy.

In your case, Crystal Energy only provide 1 energy which is both Grass and Water type in the same time. So the total amount of energy is 4.

This concept is the same as the well defined Ranbow energy rule.

Last edited:
but how could the ruling be the same as rainbow energy? rainbow clearly says that it only provides ONE at a time. Crystal provides one of ALL types.

Yes but it only provides one at any one time for the payment of attack costs so it may be able to provide W & G but in paying attacks it is still only viable for either OR not both.

Excerpt from compendium :

Q. Crystal Energy states that it provides Energy of all types (colors) of basic energy attached to the Pokemon Crystal Energy is attached to, does that mean that if you have a fighting energy and fire energy attached to the pokemon it provides one energy
A. Crystal actually just provides one energy from the look at the top right corner of the card, so it would either make one Fire or one Fighting. It's sort of a limited Rainbow Energy. (Jan 30, 2003 WotC Chat, Q753)

And you can't argue with the rule makers.............well you could but why?

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: If your interpretation of a card would be ridiculously broken, it's wrong.

The card says it provides on of every type(color)of basic energy attached the the pokemon it is attached to. So, for example, If you atached crystal energy to an onix from aquapolis with a fighting and a grass NRG attached to it, Crystal Energy would provide a fighting and a lightning. Isn't it the same thing with Magneton?

Penguin master: nothing wrong with offering an alternative interpretation of crystal energy. It is possible to read the card so that it would provide double,triple, quadruple, or more energy. However as Pop has said that would make the card broken. Which is not a good thing ;)

If you stop reading the card just after the second occurence of the word energy you get....

Crystal Energy provides 1 Energy..... which is the accepted interpretation. The remainder of the sentance explains what type(s) this single energy is.

It is a pity that it didn't follow the templating for rainbow/multi energy.

This goes back to the general rule about the difference between energy type and energy quantity. The quantity of energy that any particular energy card provides is printed at the top of the card. That can NEVER change unless some game text changes it (like Meganium's power). If the game text on the Crystal Energy card worked like the PheonixSong wished, there would be numerous energy symbols printed on the top of the card. But, there's only one symbol; therefore, Crystal provides only one quantity of energy.

Also, just for clarification. Crystal provides colorless energy when attached to non-Crystal Pokemon.

Last edited:
Back