Magneton/TA Lanturn

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by swanton1717, Apr 4, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

Hello

Well a little while ago I was thinking of new deck ideas as I try to be rogue and such. So I was looking through the scans of T A/M and I saw the Lanturn. And I thought it would be cool with Magneton. So I made up this list..Also with the help of stoney.

Pokemon: 19
    4x Magnemite AQ
    3x Magneton
    4x TA Lanturn
    2x Rayquaza
    2x TA Chinchou
    2x TA Manectric
    2x Wobbuffet

Trainers: 21
    4x Juggler
    4x Archie
    3x Professor Oak’s Research
    2x Professor Elm’s Training Method
    4x Oran Berry
    2x Crystal Shard
    1x Pokemon Park
    1x Town Volunteers

Energy: 19
    13x Electric Energy
    2x Fire Energy
    4x Multi Energy

Ya so there is A LOT of little techy things in this. So here I go explaining them..

AQ Magnemite- The Metal one. Its first attack is awesome, free gust of wind first turn. Then 2nd turn own that card with Magneton.

Rayquaza- Its an over all good card and it fits the theme and it can help V.S. other Rayquaza decks.

TA Manectric- I have the Archie so I thought it would be awesome if I could Archie for it then lay down like a Rayquaza. Move energy from the Lanturns to it then KO whatever they have active.

Wobbuffet- Helps V.S. Gardevoir and Blaze.

Crystal Shard- If its not obv by now..kill yourself. =P

Pokemon Park- Helps remove pebbles from the Lanturns.

Ya so Ideally I would like to get a Magneton 2nd turn with 1-2 Lanturns on the bench. Ya so fixins would be nice. Thanks

~Colin

2. St0neh

St0neh New Member

Now the deck is revealed:

This is my version here. I chose consistancy over TecH, since I beleive I don't need Rayquasa/Manectric to do big damage. I think getting the combo off quickly is just more important. I took this list to a tourney and got 1st, doing a solid 100 damage most games and beating a TM fighting deck too :p Props to Fulop for the Furret/Birch/Boost in this deck, getting multiple lightning every turn is important. Boost is a lifesaver against EX pokemon.

4 Magnemite (2 magnetic bomb, 2 random spark)
    4 Magneton
    4 TA Lanturn
    2 TA Chinchou
    2 Sentret
    2 Furret

15 Lightning
    4 Boost energy

4 Oak's Research
    4 Professor Birch
    4 Archie
    4 Dual Ball
    3 Pokemon Park (backbone)
    2 Copycat
    1 Town Volunteers
    1 Switch

This deck IS capable to go toe-to-toe with Blaziken, the best thing about this deck is that losing a Magneton is never a big loss, just 4 cards. This deck is an auto-win vs water too. No flipping involved either, like all good decks in all Modified formats. Props to Swanton too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  3. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Nice job guys, but I really don't think you should have released this on here. It actually looks really good and people might start playing it. I'd like to see this in action against Bex. I'm glad that Lanturn has finally gotten some use! I thought it looked like a usuable card but I didn't know how to make use of it. I think this probably is better than Flygon since it's quicker. You may wanna get some Sparce in there so you can get Magnemites out. I think I'll try experimenting with this deck.

4. annisarich

annisarich New Member

I like this.

Just was watching the States yeaterday and I wonder how usefull healing cards as weak as Oran and potion are.
    (with all the big hitters) I'd place more searching trainers...... get out fasterer :)

5. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Pretty cool, Colin. I have a few suggestions:

First off all, make sure you deck has sixty cards. Lol,

Your deck is one card short. Your pokemon say twenty, but 4+4+3+2+2+2+2=19.

Like St0ner said, consistency is important, so let's go with a combo of consistency and tEChness. Drop the wobbuffet, add Azurill: they get out Archie, which are needed to fuel the deck. The rest is good, adding a third Rayquaza could be done, but w/e.

Energy: I'm not really sure what the good balance here would be, I'd need to playtest it first, and I'm already playtesting what.....six decks? I'll leave this be... but drop a multi and add a fire, making it 3/3, Magneton's power makes fire energy a good choice. Because we dropped Wobbuffet, I'm not sure 3 Multi is necessary, but...meh, just for consistency. :D

Trainers: Here's where I'm going to butt in. Consistency, consistency, we need consistency! 2 Lanette's Net Search, 2 PETM, 4 Archie, 3 Juggler, 3 Reporter, is what I'd do: it's simply more stable: I think your's relies a little too much on the perfect setup. 2 Shard, Pokemon Park is very very original, me approves! Volunteers, Oran, check and check.

New list:

Pokemon:
    Pokemon: 19
    4x Magnemite AQ
    3x Magneton
    4x TA Lanturn
    2x Rayquaza
    2x TA Chinchou
    2x TA Manectric
    2x Azurill

Trainers: 22
    3x Reporter
    4x Archie
    3x Juggler
    2x Professor Elm’s Training Method
    2x Lanette's Net Search
    4x Oran Berry
    2x Crystal Shard
    1x Pokemon Park
    1x Town Volunteers

13x Electric Energy
    3x Fire Energy
    3x Multi Energy

One problem with my deck: only ten basics. Here's an optional list in case you want 11 basics for sure. This list subtracts Lanette's Net Search (that's what it was in there for anyway, getting Rayquaza and anything else just in case) and adds Rayquaza like things:

Same List as above, but:

-2 Lanette's Net Search
    -2 Azurill
    +1 Rayquaza EX
    +1 Reporter
    +1 POR
    +1 Lightning Energy

Two lists, take yo pick.

Woop

6. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

I think the deck needs Wobby, incase of Blaze ex. It would just KO your Lanturns on the bench, but if you put the energy on Wobby via Manetric or your hand, you would have a lot better chance. And it helps against Gardy and Muk ex too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  7. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

Whoa yay lots of replies.

Well after testing against a Bex this afternoon I have made a few changes. BTW I went 3-1 against it, we both had our shares of bad starts though.

Pokemon: 23
    4x Magnemite(Thundershock)
    4x Magneton
    4x TA Lanturn
    2x Rayquaza
    3x TA Chinchou
    2x TA Manectric
    2x Sentret
    2x Furret

Trainers: 18
    2x Copycat
    4x Archie
    4x Professor Oak’s Research
    3x Professor Birch
    2x Dual Ball
    2x Pokemon Park
    1x Town Volunteers

12x Electric Energy
    3x Boost Energy
    4x Multi Energy

I am starting to agree with stoney, consistency is better in this. However I do want to keep the Rayquaza/Manectric thing. This deck is SUPER fast and can easily be doing at least 50 by turn 2. The only really big weakness to this deck that I see are Muk Ex, Slaking and Fighting. But those luckily aren't played too much and fighting shouldnt be too hard as ray resists. SO thanks for the posts and keep them coming

~Colin

8. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Woah, I just made my version of the deck and it looks a lot like your new list. Weird.

Anyway, I like the Thundershock Magnemite. First turn paralyze Sparce, turn 2 evolve to Magneton and Boost. Also, is Furret really needed? It only gets you one energy, but then again I guess you can Birch after that and try to get more.

As for trainers, I think you should use a couple PETM to search out your Magnetons instead of relying on drawing them. Also, if you weren't using Furret you could take out the Birch for Juggler/TV Reporter to draw a bunch of cards, discard energy and get it back with Magneton.

And just to let you know, you have 23 pokemon, not 22.

9. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

Lol K fixed.

10. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Hey Colin, TA Lanturn is sooooo purdy ^_^ I tried it on appr before, but my list was nowhere near as thoughtful as yours was. I really like this.

Ok, jut a few thngs. Do you reallly need the Town Volunteers? Maybe its just me, or the decks I play, but I am finding more and more that I really DO NOT miss TV in any of my decks. Do you ever find it essential to use? If not, drop the crap out of it, I don't think you'll miss it a whole lot, unless you find that it is useful.

Dual Ball in only a count of 2? Ehhh... I'd replace em with PETM or something. Like Plaid said, getting a magneton out faster is always good. Also, with 19 energy, why are you not playing Juggler my man!??? replace the Oak's Research with them dude. If not Juggler, then TV reporter! I know you're running Birch, but you can play almost everyting down in this as you have Lanturn and such, so I think it'll be fine.

Thats it from me, good luck with it man, I hope to see you at the GCs, it sucked you couldn't make state.

11. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Ok well here's my version so far, it gets set up quick, I just haven't had a chance to play anyone with it yet!

Pokemon-21
    4 Magnemite (Thundershock)
    4 Magneton (Rare)
    3 Team Aqua’s Chinchou
    4 Team Aqua’s Lanturn
    2 Team Aqua’s Manectric (Holo)
    4 Dunsparce

Trainers-20
    4 Archie
    4 TV Reporter
    3 Professor Oak’s Research
    3 Pokemon Park
    2 Copycat
    2 Professor Elm’s Training Method
    2 Warp Point/Crystal Shard

Energy-19
    15 Lightning
    4 Boost

12. the black guy

the black guy New Member

I think this is a great deck but u need to run a line of 2 oran berry 4potion because of lanturn.

13. St0neh

St0neh New Member

Plaidlesspez: is Manectric really needed? It's only use would be to divide the energy between the Lanturns, which is kind of situational IMO.

Black guy: the first versions did use oran berry and stuff, but now Pokemon Park makes up for a lot.

14. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Yeah I'm not really sure if it's needed yet, but it does help if I get a late Magneton so I can power it up or a late Lanturn so I can power it up with no damage in one turn. I played a few games today and it did help once getting a late Magneton powered up for a win. BTW, I just figured out today that Pokemon Park only lets you use it's effect once per turn, which makes it not quite as good but still helpful to the deck. I also really don't think you need Furret, I draw plenty of energy fine without it and it frees up a spot on the bench.

15. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

Well another thing thats cool about Manectric is you can attach an energy to like a Lanturn when Pokemon Park is in play to heal it..then move it to a different pokemon. So thats cool ^_^ But I mainly play the Manectric to suprise my opponent with the Rayquaza. So thanks for the replies keep them coming please.

~Colin

16. registeel

registeel New Member

....... every one that has made this deck w/o Rayquaza I have to say this..... PUT RAYQUAZA IN!!! ok sorry nothing againts you it might actully do better w/o Rayquaza I'm not sure but from what I know of this deck so far I really suggest that you put Rayquaza back in it works great in this deck..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  17. MrMeches

MrMeches New Member

Just a Question.. why not use a 2-2 Delcatty Draw Engine?? With Manectric, you can move enregy to Catty if needed and do a similar type attack with her... just a thought.. this would open up some draw space for more healing or nrg if need

18. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

We were considering it but we decided Furret would be a better choice as it also helps with anti-decking and we wouldn't need to fit in Oracle like we would for Delcatty.

And some like the Rayquaza but some like it without Rayquaza because they want to focus on setting up quicker rather then having it. I prefer the Rayquaza myself.

I'm going to be playing this at the Tennessee State Championship and I will report back with its record and such.

~Colin

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  19. Pablo

Pablo New Member

hey colin, i think the deck is good, id just add a full 4/4 chinchou line, and mr brineys, so u dont stop using its power when its got alot of damage on it, and blazikens bench damage could stock quickly on lanturn, preventing you to use it further, and then maybe add in 1 or 2 tech walreins or something, to have a better channce vs water

-MuD

20. GOROY

GOROY New Member

Without Ray, what is the main attacker, and with Ray, you do have some fire energy right? Because Multi will run out without anyway to get it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.