makin' a comeback....hopefully

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Ninjask_161, Jul 30, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjask_161

Ninjask_161 New Member

Okay so, im now 19 years old( 20 in just a few weeks), and as i feel a little bit old to be playing this game, I still love it all the same. now, after about a 4-5 year pokemon TCG hiatus, i had a dream a few weeks ago about my days in the local toys 'r' us pokemon league. I was the first gym leader, brock, using my fighting deck, which back in the day, seemed almost unbeatable. on average, it won about 9/10 games. Since then i have lost most of my cards. Anyway, i went a picked up a few new packs of cards the other day, including the new glaceon, and leafeon decks, the Dialga deck, and the lucario/manaphy starter kit(to reinforce my knowledge of the game and the recent changes). I would like to ask a few things of you guys here at pokegym, first of all, are there other players here that are my age?:pokeball: If so, is there any chance at my age to play on a large scale again as I once tried to? Secondly, If anyone could share some advice on deckbuilding (I.E. basic to evolution ratios, how many energy per deck, that sorta thing) or if you could give me a link to another post that has been done on this sort of thing, that would be awesome too. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks a ton.

Ninjask

oh and here is a decklist of my current deck:

Energy:
    12x grass
    12x water

Trainers:
    1x super scoop up
    1x energy restore
    2x quick ball
    4x energy search
    3x Mom's Kindness
    3x potion
    3x Poke'ball
    2x warp point

Grass pokemon:
    4x Turtwig (77/100)
    2x Grotle (37/100)
    1x Torterra (30/100)
    1x Leafeon (24/100)

Colorless pokemon:
    4xEevee (62/100)

Water Pokemon:
    4x Piplup (71/100)
    2x Prinplup (44/100)
    1x Empoleon (17/100)
    1x Vaporeon (34/100)
    1x Glaceon (20/100)

Yep. thats it, my card collection is kind of limited at the moment, but i can order singles if i need to. Personally, i think it has too many trainer cards Any advice will be super appreciated. thanks a ton in advance, peace out:pokeball:

2. Alazor

Alazor Active Member

Maybe just focus on a few pokemon:

Like:

Pokemon: 19

3 Tropius (Mysterious Treasures)
    1 Chatot (Majestic Dawn)
    4-2-3 Torterra
    1 Torterra lv. X (Diamond and Pearl)
    2-1-2 Sceptile (Great Encounters)

The trainer line should look something like:

Trainers: 23

4x super scoop up
    1x Night Maintnenance (Mysterious Treasures)
    2x quick ball
    4x Prof. Oak's Visit (Secret Wonders)
    3x Bebe's Search (Mysterious Treasures)
    3 Roseanne's Research (Secret Wonders)
    2x warp point
    4 Rare Candy (Great Encounters)

Energy: 18

18 Grass

3. shinygyarados

shinygyarados New Member

You can never be too old to play Pokemon:lol:
    There are tons of players around your age(not me personally 16 in a few weeks(woot) Of course you wont be playing with the little kids, but masters(15 and up) is a bigger section than Juniors(10 and under) anyway.
    Its not a total loss about losing your cards. If you want to play competitivly you would have had to buy new ones anyway. The decks you chose were pretty good ones, IIRC the leafeon and glaceon decks come with espeon and umbreon. If so you should definatly but them in. Also having three pokemon lines is a bit much. Try to take out one of the lines so that you have more room to grow on the others.
    In almost any deck nowadays a starter is a good idea. Just pick any basic pokemon that search for things for not that many energies. Stantler, Lapras, and Spinda are ok ones. Pachirisiu and Phione are really good ones.
    Ordering singles seems to be the way to go nowadays so its good that your ready. And by the way you can never have too many trainers.
    Good Luck.:biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. Sandslash7

Sandslash7 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Welcome Back!

To answer your initial questions, there are many players of your age here, including myself. Any user with the "Pokemon Professor" title is over 18, so you should be able to easily spot a bunch of players.

A general beginning strategy for building a deck involves using 20 Pokemon, 20 Energy, and 20 Trainers.
    This gives you a good base from which to work and allows for a thrust into the correct ratios for current competitive deckbuilding.

In addition, the standard Evolution ratios are one final evolution for every Basic, with variable ratios of the middle stage.
    A first example would be Lumineon from Mysterious Treasures.
    A strong line of Lumineon would be to run 4 Fineon and 4 Lumineon.
    This is standard of most stage 1 lines to be found in the game. (with a few exceptions) If you are playing a main attacker, you want to play them in the most multiples as possible, to increase the chances of getting the card on your draws.

The few exceptions to the 4-4 rule is pokemon which are supporting pokemon, and have a minor role in attacking.
    A common example is Claydol from Great Encounters. It is a staple card in the format, and most prevalently run in a 2-2 line. This card increases effeciency in the deck, allowing for swift drawing of the cards in your deck. (It's pokepower allows you to place 1-2 cards onto the bottom of your deck and then draw cards until you have 6 in your hand.)
    Another example is Bronzong from Majestic Dawn. Seen regularly in Empoleon decks due to its Damage spread abilities, it is generally used in a 2-2 or 3-3 line, as it sees normal attacking usage, but is not maxed due to space restrictions and the more powerful Empoleon line.

An example of a Stage 2 would be Machamp from Diamond and Pearl.
    A general list of a Machamp deck would include 4 Machop, 2-3 Machoke, and 4 Machamp.
    Now, the way to get around the fact that you only have 2-3 Machoke is the Trainer Card "Rare Candy." This card allows you to directly evolve a Basic into a Stage 1 or 2 Pokemon. It effectively skips the middle stage, while greatly enhancing the speed of the deck. (personal preference dictates how many of the stage one to use, as well as it's usefulness. DP Prinplup is a very good damage spreader, and is usually used in 3-4 ratios in Empoleon decks.)

These matching Basic-Final Evolution ratios allow the most amount of your main attacker to hit the field simultaneously, and give you a chance to continue the assault on your opponent even if your first pokemon is KOed.

Another practice in Pokemon is to use a "starter." This pokemon gives you an initial buffer against your opponent, and also reduces your own setup time. Regular starters are Pachirisu from GE, Chatot from MD, Phione from MD, Sentret/Furret from SW. These pokemon will Search for Basic pokemon, Evolve your pokemon, Refresh your hand, or search for specific cards, depending on thier abilities. This added boost allows for an over-all faster deck, because you are not relying on the luck of the draw on topdecking the cards you need.

Most commonly, the Energy count will be anywhere from 16-18 in a deck nowadays, since the days of Holon's Castform, DRE, Scramble, and so on have passed. Many decks now play 1-4 Call Energy, and then mostly Basic Energy that matches the type of Pokemon you are playing.

Trainers are the last topic.

Most decks now have a pretty basic trainer line that is standard across the board with few changes.
    4 Bebe's Search (for finding any pokemon)
    3-4 Roseanne's Research (for getting Basic Pokemon and Energy)
    4 Felicity's Drawing/ Professor Oaks Visit (for brute card drawing)
    1-2 Professor Rowan/Team Galactic's Wager (for Shuffle drawing a bad hand or disrupting the opponent)
    2 Warp Point (for moving the active pokemon)
    2 Night Maintenance (for getting back KOed Pokemon)

After that base, cards like Premier Ball, Rare Candy (a 4 staple in Stage 2 decks) are also added, depending if you run Level X's or Stage 2s.

I hope that gives you a good jumping off point for getting back into this game!

SS7

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  5. Ninjask_161

Ninjask_161 New Member

cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'm definately gonna have to order some rare candies, those are sick. but until then I'm gonna have to run my lines in a 4-3-2 or 3-2-1, depending. I took all of the water cards out of my deck, added some steel (Dialga for drawing capability and deevolution, and added 2x skarmory to help take out some of their energy early game, also with skarms steel wing and leftovers, he makes for a decent mini tank.) I also added porygon Z and his assistants. running them at a 3-2-1 while focusing on my 3-2-1 line of torterra. So far it hasnt lost yet, had a close call, but i pulled it off in the end( only had 1 card left in my deck at the end of the game!)

Ninja

6. mikeynumber1

mikeynumber1 New Member

i recomend getting cards in bulk, especially trainers, to get your decks running efficiantly such as Proffesor oaks visits, rare candys, roseannes researches, bebe's searches, and night maintenances. for pokemon i would get claydols and baltoys, chatots, phiones, or any other good starter pokemon. this is a great start to getting back into the game, making almost every deck you build run decent.:thumb:

7. kd0220437

kd0220437 New Member

You are definitely not alone when it comes to playing this game after your best years LOL. I am 20 and still enjoy this game. It is very strategic and fun to play.

Usually now Energy is not as prominent in decks just because your focus of a deck usually has a central theme or strategy that the deck focuses on. That being said an average deck, just by my estimation would have anywhere from 8-14 energy. My deck I play with now has 16 but you aren't limited to that and obviously it is your choice to play how ever many you like.

Pokemon wise you really want to look into a central theme with how things play together, and not so much as I think these types go well together. You may look into just Empoleon Glaceon, and if you can get Glaceon Lv.x that would help your deck even more.

With Trainers and Supporters, you really want to try and run multiples of most of them just so you have better odds of coming up with the cards that you need such as draw cards, or search cards.

I hope this helps you somewhat and good luck on getting into the game again! God Bless!

8. Ninjask_161

Ninjask_161 New Member

where would i be able to buy cards in bulk? kinda on a limited budget here >.< starting college in two weeks. But another thing is, Its so hard for me to find tournaments in my area, as me and my friends are really the only ones who play it here any more. It's sad, so im stuck travelling 150-200 miles just to compete!

9. Sandslash7

Sandslash7 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

I hear you.

I'm starting in 2 weeks as well, and no car + 2 hours away = no pokemon events for a few months.

There is a possiblility of starting a league where you are studying. That way you can still play without travelling.

In addition, there is a Program called RedShark (you can find it on www.pokebeach.com) that allows you to play online with other players using Hamachi/Direct IP link. This can be a temporary fix if you cannot play the game with physical cards.

10. ShuckleLVX

ShuckleLVX Active Member

Im 20 myself (21 in a couple months) and play avidly ^_^ Saddly, im starting college too, about 6 hours away from most events. Luckily theres a couple leagues in the area, so i should be okay. Where you at Ninjask?

11. Ninjask_161

Ninjask_161 New Member

stuck here in west virginia at the moment. when get my nursing degree i hope to move to a larger city. ill try to get a group together where i will be going. but i dont want to seem like a nerd....but that shouldnt matter anyway. i dont care if they think i am or not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.