Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Managing the league

Pokealjovin

Administrator
I'm still adjusting to our league. We've grown a lot in the last few weeks, and I feel disorganized, so I'm turning to you to figure out if there is a better way to keep the league organized.

We don't have an official league yet, but we'll have an official tournament in 2 weeks. However, I'd like to get a good start with our non-official league, so that when we start, we are able to grow.

Here's what I do in order to keep track of the members:
- I have a spreadsheet with the Player ID, First and last name, Date of birth, phone and email (not everyone, but I'm getting there)
- We keep a count of the games played for each players (so that they can get the promos, when we'll have some, right now, it's out of my collection)

Do you do more ? or even less (no need for phone number?)

I feel I'm always running around trying to answer new members. Any suggestions?

First off, welcome to the fun that is leading a league. It is very rewarding, but also very draining.

Second, to give some advice.

Get some help. An assistant league leader or two will be a great help to you in recording points, helping newer players and keeping you less stressed. Even a non player parent is great, as they can track the points.

The information you are collecting seems about right, even the phone numbers - I did this for emergency purposes. I had a lot of kids that were dropped off and if there was a problem, I would have the numbers to reach mom or dad. The parents were very agreeable to giving the information once I explained why.

However, with the information that you are collecting, you need to keep it secure from anyone else. This is where the non official status of your league gets messy. Since you are collecting personal information and keeping it for your records, I would suggest tracking points on a sheet that just has their first name and last initial and keeping all the other info in a binder that you are the only one that has access to.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have an assistant that helps me when we're having a league day. He's going to work on getting his Professor's status as well (just got mine 3 days ago, on the 3rd Try). I've been approved for TO, and we'll have our first tournament on the 17th.

When we started in May, we were 7, at this point, we've been averaging 15 for a couple of weeks, with a total of about 28 people that came at least once.

I was thinking of making "Registration cards" so that I can pick it out without getting the others. But it would take a bit too much time, I guess.

I may be taking a bit too much on my shoulders, I'll have to delegate a bit! ;)

Do you use the league's play tracking cards? Or do you track the game separately anyways?

Most folks I've heard from (myself included) has a shorthand way to track games played, then transfers them to the official league card at the end of the season. Two key reasons for this: 1) if you have 10 scorecards and 12 players come week one, you've got two players who don't get a scorecard - if those two players end up being the most dedicated and play the most games, they still don't get a scorecard. 2) They are small and tricky to keep in order and pull out every 32 seconds (at least it seems like that often on busy days.)

So, you can get a notebook page of some sort - or even a pre-printed list with players names - and mark the games each week, then the folks that fill the scorecard, or at least fill 1 line can be first in line for the "real thing" if you run into shortages. Or, depending on the ages of your players, leave the sign-up sheet out for each player to fill in. However you work it out, you're definititely on the right track with a strong attendance. Keep it up!

Have a sign in sheet. The information you collect is what i have on the sign in sheet minus the phone number - i no longer collect that since i haven't had to cancel league at the last minute and i'm not responsible for opening & closing the store. I don't enforce email address (though i like to get it the first time a new member joins). Transfer this information to your personal record that only you have access to.

Sorry if i'm not posting in the correct thread but i searched a little and couldn't find a help managing league thread.

I've read ultimatedra's guide for making and administering new leagues and i've got a question. I'm from outside the states, from Argentina, and i want to make a new league. I've already set a pokemon.com account, got my play! pokemon activated and filled the application form many times, but i've never had any answer.
Could you please tell me how long should i wait before having an answer? Or in case this online registration method never works, could you tell me what could i do to be able to contact pokemon company?

Thanks!

Most leagues outside of the US get their supplies through a local country distributor. I don't know who that would be for you, but that's the company you need to find. Are there other members of the Argentina Pokemon community you could reach out to so you can find the correct contact. I also am not sure if your leagues go through any different approval processes, but hopefully the distributor would know that as well. - Good luck!

I had no answer from the distributor or the pokemon company so i try a local comicbook shop. They told me that only approved shops could have a league but this contradicts the rules & requirements listed on pokemon.com. A league could be opened anywhere as long as it's clean, confortable, etc. Moreover, i'm more interested of focusing VG play instead of TCG so getting in touch with a distributor won't do much good.

Could someone that is already managing a league, ask the pokemon company for advice please? I've tried to contact them many times but they never reply any emails whatsoever.

Thanks!

I've filled my application in May, I still haven't received an answer for the league,but I did get an answer for being a TO. It does take time, I don't know if it's situationnal, or normal though.

It really sucks to wait so long just to see if in my country has the same proceeding as NA. I've tried contacting some other comicbook shops but no one answers. They all want to keep their ugly, ugly monopoly.

Btw, you mean you've received an answer for being a TO, you mean that they sent you a "your question has been received, we will answer as soon as posible" kind of thing?

It really sucks to wait so long just to see if in my country has the same proceeding as NA. I've tried contacting some other comicbook shops but no one answers. They all want to keep their ugly, ugly monopoly.

Btw, you mean you've received an answer for being a TO, you mean that they sent you a "your question has been received, we will answer as soon as posible" kind of thing?

Nope, I mean that I've been approved as a TO.... and as of noon today, our league has been approved! (I made the request on May 23rd), I'm guessing that they are reducing their backlog, hopefullly.

Congrats!

So i guess i'll have to wait 3 months for a bloody answer =/.

I suppose they have way to many requests, but they are a huge company so they should be able to manage it...

Back