Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mario for Nationals!?!?!

Professor Elm

I know what you're thinking.
"You mean that stack of cards with no strategy that just luck sacks every match?"

I know, most of y'all refuse to refer to Mario as a deck.
Well, it came to my knowledge yesterday, that Lucario is a very good card even in an environment filled with Plox and GG.

I was playing Plox in my BR yesterday, and my 3rd round matchup and top 2 match was against Speed Lucario. A lot of yall automatically assume that Plox completely shreds Lucario to pieces.
AND, it could have been that it was my first tournament using Plox/GG EVER, but I was extremely surprised at how well Lucario did against me. One thing is for sure, Psychic weakness means nothing in that matchup. What is Gardy gonna do Psy Lock for 70 with a DRE or 80 without?
Either way I could never OHKO a Lucario with it, and second of all, Stance is a great power that when combined with Cessation Crystal can be quite annoying because now you have to hope that you topdeck that Warp Point or you go behind a turn. I did win all 3 games I played against it, BUT they were all extremely close, one going into sudden death the others being within just 1 or 2 prizes the whole game. To say Lucario has an auto loss to Plox is a horrible misunderstanding.

NOW, back to Mario. I was messing around with ideas after BRs yesterday just flipping through my binder and on Pokegym and I came across the Mario Article. I kinda just laughed and remembered all the bashing it got even after multiple premier event wins and showings across the nation. It even made like Top 4 in worlds Juniors last year.

Well, I looked at the list and remembered Ben's Speed Lucario deck I had just played. It was extremely annoying to try to overcome those Cessation Crystals as I (along with most other Plox players) did not pack any windstorms. My DREs and Scrambles were literally the ONLY things that kept me alive in those matches. SO, I went on to construct a New Mario deck for the current state of the metagame. I knew that the key focus of the deck HAD TO BE 4 Cessation and 4 Crystal Beach. Both of those cards COMPLETELY DESTROY the current state of the metagame. DRE, Scramble, and Claydol abuse are more widespread than ever and being able to counter both of those mechanics is extremely vital in many matches.

I then did some testing with my new mario list. Granted this was just playing against myself as I have no one in my family who plays. It turned out that Mario won the majority of games and the ONLY reason that a Plox could win is due to a bad hand with Mario or a Wager win.

SO, laugh all you want, BUT Mario has the potential to do great things in the right persons hands. I am not saying it will be played at Nats but I think some of yall should seriously consider a wider range of decks. ESPECIALLY those that abuse Cessation Crystal and Crystal Beach.

Just some ranting and thoughts.

So... your trying to get everyone to play Mario so you can use Plox and have easy matches all the way to the top. :/

Any good Plox will destroy a Mario, and thats why NO ONE plays it anymore.

So... your trying to get everyone to play Mario so you can use Plox and have easy matches all the way to the top. :/

Any good Plox will destroy a Mario, and thats why NO ONE plays it anymore.

Evidently you didn't read anything that I just posted.
VERY FEW Plox decks can handle 4 Cessation Crystal and 4 Crystal Beach.
Read what I said again.
I did some testing yesterday and Plox is at a a disadvantage.

Hmmm, I dint think it was implied that everyone should play Mario, but it does remond us that some of the older cards in the format are very disruptive. Crystal Beach is unbelievable against many decks used nowdays. And Cess Crystal, well, considering how many decks rely on powers to set up,,,,,

Just mt 2 cents:thumb:

Hmmm, I dint think it was implied that everyone should play Mario, but it does remond us that some of the older cards in the format are very disruptive. Crystal Beach is unbelievable against many decks used nowdays. And Cess Crystal, well, considering how many decks rely on powers to set up,,,,,

Just mt 2 cents:thumb:

Thank you for realizing what I said.
Maxing out on Beach and Cessation can create an amazing magnitude of annoyance on any opponent.

Evidently you didn't read anything that I just posted.
VERY FEW Plox decks can handle 4 Cessation Crystal and 4 Crystal Beach.
Read what I said again.
I did some testing yesterday and Plox is at a a disadvantage.

Those very few Plox are the good ones I was talking about. The best Plox lists are ready for anything. :tongue:

And again, with so many decks needing Claydol, Mags Body, Porygons, or whatever is in soooo many decks, the Cess is great. And being secachable with Castaway, thats actually makes it realistic to use.

And again, with so many decks needing Claydol, Mags Body, Porygons, or whatever is in soooo many decks, the Cess is great. And being secachable with Castaway, thats actually makes it realistic to use.

Somthing tells me that the smart players will use Cess again, and the smarter players will run windstorm. :lol:

Those very few Plox are the good ones I was talking about. The best Plox lists are ready for anything. :tongue:

If you're saying the best Plox decks pack multiple Windstorms, multiple Warp Points, and multiple stadiums, then you aren't playing any Plox deck I've heard of.
I ain't saying it's an autowin for Mario by any means. It's still a difficult matchup, but so few Plox/GG builds run Windstorm. Warp Point is highly played as well as 1 or 2 tech stadiums, but that really doesn't cut it if you ever try playing against a deck with maxed cessations and beaches.
I may not have the best plox list but I certainly wouldn't say that my list is garbage either.

If you're saying the best Plox decks pack multiple Windstorms, multiple Warp Points, and multiple stadiums, then you aren't playing any Plox deck I've heard of.
I ain't saying it's an autowin for Mario by any means. It's still a difficult matchup, but so few Plox/GG builds run Windstorm. Warp Point is highly played as well as 1 or 2 tech stadiums, but that really doesn't cut it if you ever try playing against a deck with maxed cessations and beaches.
I may not have the best plox list but I certainly wouldn't say that my list is garbage either.

Plox haven't run windstorms, and they really haven't needed to, but I think its going to be a smart play at nats.

Any good PLOX beats anything though...
So by your logic EVERYONE that goes to Nationals should play PLOX.
Then you will never get beaten because it beats EVERYTHING!
Its the new Hurricane!
OMGZZZ!

This is an excellent read, thank you Prof. Elm

*goes to make Andrew C. to run Mario again at worlds*

Tehehe :)

Any good PLOX beats anything though...
So by your logic EVERYONE that goes to Nationals should play PLOX.
Then you will never get beaten because it beats EVERYTHING!
Its the new Hurricane!
OMGZZZ!

Yes EVERYONE GOING TO US NATIONALS SHOULD USE PLOX!!! *goes and gets arithmetic form deck box*

We have already been through that one, I was given the list, I did not buy it. Just because I bought 1 deck list (btw it won 2 states) doesn't mean I buy everything. >.<

Back