Masterball search....can it fail intentionally?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Lawman, Jun 1, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Lawman

Lawman Active Member

As the title says, since MB's language was changed from a "may choose" to a "if you find....then take"....can it fail since the deck's content's are not public knowledge. The Comp EX has a ruling from early 2005 that says the player must take a poke, if one is found. The Comp lvl X doesnt keep this ruling. I believe that is bc of the meta rule of deck searches can be intentionally failed, that you can fail a MC search intentionally.

My other reasoning is this...how would the oppo make a proper challenge there? They cannot see the 7 cards the MB player does. Would your ruling change if the MB player says, I'm looking for "claydol" and all I got was a "insert lame poke not needed/wanted now" OR even further, if the MB player shows the "junk" poke from the 7 drawn? Can they then still "fail the search and put it back? The card states to only reveal the poke taken to the oppo. If they reveal the poke, then I'd have to say the MB has now "chosen" to take that poke and must keep it. (It fulfills the cards requirements).

Thx for your time on these Qs related to MB.

Keith

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Every ruling that applies to the current Modifed got moved to the Level X.
    You are correct that since that ruling didn't get moved, it is no longer valid.
    The deck contents are private and so a search can fail on purpose.