Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Masters Report ONTARIO Regionals

Throne0fLegends

Better late than never. That thought swirled around my mind as I looked at my phone to confirm the time. It was 2 am the night before Regionals and as usual, myself, Curtis L, Geneses P., Anthony S, and BJ A. were seeing what we were going to play later on that day. The only difference this time was everybody else had already decided on the deck; a deck I had refused to play from Day 1 but in desperation, I saw no other choice that could handle the deck consistently enough to pose a threat. I picked up the Rayeels that Curtis had made and played a game with it. Lost. I wanted to go through some more games to get some practice in, but everybody was tired and wanted to call it a night. I went to sleep that night and it took me an hour or so to accept the choice I had made. No matter what happened the next day, I would just accept it. The morning came, and I asked Curt to play one last game with me. Lost. He told me I would be fine, and I hesitantly agreed.

When we got to the Double Tree, I borrowed some cards (Tynamos mainly) and was prepared to hand my decklist in. Before handing it in, I met up with this clown Simon, and he showed me his deck choice. It was the same deck I played for BR's and it looked like a really good choice at that instant but due to the time restraints of registering I walked away from it. Round 1 Pairings soon came up, and I was ready to see how far I would go.

Round 1: Ryan M. (Darkrai/Hydregion)
I told my opponent that I wouldn't set up until the opening announcements were closed to being finished since I hated the feeling of seeing a dead hand with a lone Tynamo and having to wait through the opening announcements before getting donked. Announcements finished and I drew my 7. I saw the lone Tynamo, but at least I had a supporter. I called the dice roll and let a sigh of relief out knowing I would at least get a game going. He flipped for a Deino (dragon type) and I double checked my hand. I double levelled ball for 2 more tynamos, played an ultraball for a Shiny Ray, played the Skyarrow and Junipered for 7. I hit the lightning and got the turn 1 Dragon Pulse for 80. He didn't realize weakness at first, but then he saw it. I wished him luck for the next rounds and apologized for the short game.
1-0

Round 2: Alec M. (Ho-Oh/Terrakion)
I introduced myself and found out he came from Quebec along with a few others. Chatted for a bit before the round started and set up. I look at my hand -- lone tynamo. Great. On top of that I missed the dice call as well. He flips over a Ho-Oh and I wait patiently to see if he can get the KO. I looked at my hand again, and I had no supporters. Great. He didn't look too confident either and was thinking a lot about his plan of action. He plays an ultraball (I thought he was going for a Mewtwo) but he goes for a Virizon instead. Attaches a grass onto his Ho Oh and N's me. Passes. I get set up with 3 eels along the way and every turn he can only draw pass while retreating his Ho-Oh for a Mewtwo and X-balling my Ray's for 40. I was ready to sweep, but I couldn't find any Lightnings. I Junipered until I had about 12-15 cards left and still saw no lightning. My 3 eels were sitting there doing nothing, while Alec just kept X-balling away. I finally get a lightning and get my first KO with 4 cards left in my deck. He has 2 more EX's on board, and I knew I had 2 Catchers left -- One in my prizes. It comes down to me having about 2 cards left, and 2 prizes left and him with a Ho-Oh with 2 energies on it and a Virizon. I grab the catcher out of my prizes from the last KO and manage to get the final kill on the Ho-Oh. Wish I coulda had another game with you, seemed like it coulda been a good match.
2-0

Round 3: Ha Do (Darkrai/Terrakion)
I look at my hand and I see a Raikou EX by itself =.= Great. Luckily he didn't get the turn 1 Nightspear ;) so I could at least start to up. He got the turn 2 Nightspear though =.= and started killing off my tynamos and eels. He took the early prize lead and started setting up his Terrakion too for that Raikou that should be in my discard pile and out of harms way. I mount a comeback with a manually powered RayEX kill on his eviolited Darkrai by hitting a scrapper on him. His Terrakion was still a problem, but I knew he was running out of resources -- he had around 8-9 cards left in his deck with N's as his only supporter. He had 2 prizes left and he decides to Junkhunt a Random Receiver and a catcher back. Time's called and I KO his Sableye knocking all his energies off the field accept for 1 on Darkrai. Both his terrakions are gone at this point, but that didn't matter, since I had 60 on an Eel and another fresh eel. If he can get the nightspear off then I'm done for. He catchers up my eel, attaches a dark and N's me. Passes. I'm turn 2 and I know he still has one more catcher. I'm just not sure if it's in his prizes or not. I hit a switch off the N (still had 3 left with a minimal deck) and I double motor onto Raikou. I thunder fang him and hit the paralyses. He had to pass, since he ran no switch leaving me in the prize lead. He had the energy, but the last catcher was indeed prized. Really good game.
3-0

Round 4: Peter Ma (Zekeels)
Peter's come a long way and we've become pretty good friends. We always manage to face off either in swiss or in the finals somewhere so it was no surprise that we were matched up again. I flip over my favorite Tynamo and we began the game. He had a slow start and could only DCE on Zekrom and outrage me for 20. Throughout the game, I used a lot of catchers to continually dragonpulse his Tynamos. I discarded some pretty useful things, but by playing 2 superrod, I got most of em back. The turning ponit of the game was when he opted to paralyze my Ray with his Raikou, hit me with an N and hoped to buy a turn to set up some eels. I responded with a switch, Juniper 3 Lightning away and into 3 Eelektrik, evolved them all and dynamotored onto a fully powered RayEX and dragon bursted his Raikou for the KO. That was just too much to handle and it was soon over. Neither of us could believe what a huge hand I drew from that N but it was what it was. Sometimes you just run hot. GG man
4-0

Round 5: BJ A. (Rayeels)
It was inevitable. I had to face a teammate sooner or later. It was nice that we were both 4-0 and reached it this far. We get deckchecked. I get a caution for not putting the set for my Ray EX, but I did put the set number. =S Oh well. This game was pretty lopsided, even though our decks differed by 1-2 cards. I had the early shiny Ray and swept his tynamos leaving him with nothing while I set up 3 eels. It was quickly over after that. Sorry man, but you kept the dream alive anyway! XD
5-0

Round 6: Curtis L. (Rayeels)
Here we go. From that morning until now. Couldn't believe it myself that I would be 5-0 and facing off with Curt. It was a pretty uneventful game where both of us were looking for a supporter or catcher or anything to knock out the others set up RayEX on the bench. After 2-3 turns of draw passing I hit the Juniper, grabbing the switch, catcher and lightning and KOing his RayEX. He scoops shortly after. Unfortunately, thats just how the mirror goes. If one can't set up or draw a supporter, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're not coming back. Likewise, Curtis keeps calm and finishes off the next round strong.
6-0

Round 7: Matthew C. (Zekeels)
So last round. Guaranteed cut. Couldn't believe how far I came with this deck. I know Matt from the Hamilton league I'm at, and we get started. I finally "***-ed" (Geneses came up with that reference cuz it rhymed with koo sigh -- it's whenever you draw dead with no supporters =.=) and saw as Matt stacked 9 energies onto his Mewtwo and sweeping my board. Oh well, not much I coulda done about it. Good game!
6-1

After day 1: I finish 1st, Curtis is 2nd, and BJ 3rd. Nice clean sweep. Geneses whiffs cut at 18 and Curtis and I see that were facing our worst matchup at numbers' 16 and 15 --- BMT.

I'll do top cut another day... =)

Good job, this one happened so early, I didn't even have time to help you guys :p

ps: why do you have time to write a report when you complains about being busy all the time :(

Back