MD Torterra

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by kiwill, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwill

kiwill New Member

The card I wanted to try out after a quick look in the scans ... no idea way ... neway, here's the list :

4 Turtwig DP
    2 Grotle MD
    4 Torterra MD
    2 Sunkern SW
    2 Sunflora SW
    2 Magikarp MT
    2 Gyarados MT
    =18

4 Call
    2 Heal
    5 Grass
    2 DRE
    2 Scramble
    =15

2 Warp point
    2 Switch
    3 Leftovers
    2 Castaway
    1 Strengh charm
    4 Celio's
    3 Roseanne's
    4 Candy
    3 Copycat
    2 POV
    1 Steven's
    =27

The strategy is to focus on Torterra's first attack which does nice damage for a few energys. Sunflora allows you to remove the damage counters (except on Gyarados of course) and Call Energy/Roseanne kinda acts like a starter (no decent enough grass starter for this). I wanted it to be a fun deck to play, it explains the 4 switching cards and the 4 candys which perhaps aren't necessary but they allow more flexibility for the deck. Leftovers is nice combined with Sunflora and Torterra's 140hp.
    I'm lacking a bit in draw cards but dunno what to do 'bout that. Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. roaringforest

roaringforest New Member

I personnaly think you need Exeggutor or Sceptile

3. Chu51595

Chu51595 New Member

Take out Lefties, cut down on Torterra MD and add 2 Torterra Lv. X. Add 1-2 Stregth Charm/Candy and maybe 1-1 Porygon 2 to speed up.

4. kiwill

kiwill New Member

I was undecisive with the Torterra Lv.x issue, I guess I could play 3-1, 2-2 seems too much though.
    Leftovers have proven to be very usefull, I could possibly take one out but all of them, not sure.
    I can't add a candy as I have 4, I'm looking for room for a pluspower though.
    As for Porygon 2 I don't like having an unhealable pokemon sitting on my bench taking damage every now and then.
    Thanks for the Suggestions

What about cutting Gyara down to 1-1 ?

5. tyranitarpownzor

tyranitarpownzor New Member

wat about
    4 celebi (as a starter 2 spread energys)
    2 torterra MD or DP or 3 torterra
    2 torterra lvlx (or one which ever u perfer)
    2 grotle
    4 turtwig MD
    2 sceptile( for its uber ability)
    1 grovle
    2 treeko
    2 or 3 tangrowth( for the senergy w/ sceptile)
    2 or 3 tangrowth

lots of draw...a ball system or something
    celios
    in order for this deck 2 run it will need 4 rare candys and something to switch creatures(like switch or warp point)because retreat is way 2 much(thats were the new eveelutions come in)
    new stadium

16 grass energys because secptile takes care of the rest

hope that helps

6. Dusk Norman

Dusk Norman New Member

I really think a sceptile in a Torterra deck Is a must play. 1 energy for 60 and 2 energy for 100, As long as anybody doesn't run any cessation crystal.

7. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

Play a level X so you can do 100 every turn. I don't like Sunflora in here at all...maybe replace it with Claydol, which would solve your draw problem.

8. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

Lati-lock messes with Sceptile too .. but I agree that it's a nice play.

9. kiwill

kiwill New Member

I really don't see the point in Sceptile/Torterra. I'd rather just run Sceptile/Tangrowth or max out the DREs in Torterra. Like I said, it's mainly the first attack I find attractive.

A list with more draw :

4 Turtwig DP
    2 Grotle MD
    4 Torterra (3 MD, 1 Lvx)
    2 Sunkern SW
    2 Sunflora SW
    1 Magikarp MT
    1 Gyarados MT
    =16

4 Call
    2 Heal
    5 Grass
    2 DRE
    2 Scramble
    =15

2 Warp point
    2 Switch
    2 Leftovers
    2 Castaway
    1 Strengh charm
    1 Pluspower
    4 Celio's
    3 Roseanne's
    4 Candy
    3 Copycat
    1 POR
    3 POV
    1 Steven's
    =29

I might consider a 1-1 Sceptile but I'm really not sure about it honestly

10. vanderbilt_grad

Sceptile is amazing since you only need 1 energy for the first attack or 2 for the 2nd attack and the level X's attack. It makes Torterra astonishingly fast. Heck I've even used Turtwig's Razor Leaf doing 30 for 1 with a basic early game with Sceptile in play. Plays like bench Turtwig, RC to Torterra, attach 1 energy, Warp Point ... 60 damage become possible in a single turn.

Unlike Tangrowth where you load him up with energy, here you manage to do 60 or 100 damage with amazing energy efficiency.

11. Alazor

Alazor Active Member

You want a good grass starter? Maybe Shuckle (SW)?

12. Allin

Allin New Member

Is pachi not good enough here i mean i so no reason to not use him being able to fech all three of your gamebreakers sounds amazing :). And if you must run Call why not run the Wish engine 2?

13. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

Ppl said the same thing about Dragonite ex d w/ Sceptile, but look at that deck...oh yeah that's right no one plays it. Getting out a stage 2 to power up a stage 2 is inefficient. Honestly, turn 2 60 is game breaking, and then sitting on 100 a turn after that is amazing. It only takes 4 turns to do that, and Torterra is a tank, so it'll be able to take a few hits.

Maybe some Dawn Stadium, since you like healing?

14. vanderbilt_grad

The difference being that Dragonite is both an EX and has low damage attacks.

15. kiwill

kiwill New Member

Finally someone who understands what I think (not saying that I'm right ...)
    I forgot about Dawn Stadium ... not sure it would be very effective. Worths a try, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.