Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Metagross (MD-on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnpsy

I was going to build Jumpluff, but its price is now $15+ USD. :frown: Since I no longer have many good ideas for next season, I decided to go through all of the remaining cards. I saw this.

Active Control (60)

Pokémon (18)

1 Azelf [LA]
4-2-3/1 Metagross [LA#83-SV-LA/SV]
4 Sableye [SF]
3 Uxie [LA]

Trainers (19)

Trainers (16)

1 Luxury Ball
4 Poké Healer +
4 Rare Candy
4 Super Scoop Up
3 Switch

Tools (3)

3 Expert Belt

Supporters (11)

2 Bebe’s Search
1 Cynthia's Feelings
3 Judge
1 Palmer’s Contribution
2 Pokémon Collector
2 Professor Oak's Visit

Energy (12)

4 :colorless::colorless: Energy
4 :metal: Energy (Basic)
4 :metal: Energy (Special)

Strategy

The focus here is Metagross LA. Jirachi and Sableye in general allow a quick and easy set-up. A large amount of the trainers are what you would expect, drawing, searching, recovery, the basic toolbox-like cards. The Energy also explains itself. Special :metal: Energy allow for Metagross to tank. :colorless::colorless: Energy allows for quick charging. Metagross LA itself messes with the active and proceeds to hit for 120 repeatedly (aside from its first turn, which does 70). A Crobat G was added in order to avoid things such as Reversal and Warp Point messing me up completely. Also, Metagross SV is in here to make KOs even easier to get. Poké Healer + helps Metagross survive with Gravitation weakening its survivability.

Last edited:
I don't know what to do about it but everything has a relitively low HP making Mother Gengar practicaly an auto loss if they get set up.

I think Jirachi RR would be a better starter for this deck. Free retreat, and with 11 supporters the chance of not getting one in your opening hand is rather slim.

Well, Jirachi does look a great deal more useful here. However, while it lets me get ready quickly, it loses value as I run out of supporters.

OK, I'll add it.

EDIT: Metagross UL appears to be horrible. The deck runs best with 3 Metagross LA out together. I'm changing the build to reflect this.

Last edited:
It's been 24 hours.

Testing reveals that I cannot consistently draw into a T2 setup. I replaced both Quarries and 2 Basic :metal: with 4 Pokédex HANDY910is.

Also, I'm considering another 2 SSU, but I'd need a way to deal more than a maximum of 70 on the first hit from Extra Comet Punch.

Thoughts?

Pluspower... sounds horrible. I think you are going to have to just luck out w/t weakness there. I think that there is no solution.

Apparently, I can use Crobat G to do it. I could add 4 Crobat G and 2 more SSU, then I can handle that issue and a few others. I can then re-use Uxie and such as well, you get the idea.

The problem now is finding space for said 6 cards.

-???

+4 Crobat G [PL]
+2 Super Scoop Up

What can be removed from this build? Drawer and Pokedex appear to be just filler, so I can easily remove those.

-4 Poké Drawer +
-2 Pokédex HANDY910is

+4 Crobat G [PL]
+2 Super Scoop Up

Last edited:
I's been 26 hours, so I can post again.

Another attempt at fixing problems with damage dealt was made. With a set-up like:

In Hand:

Pokémon Collector or any amount of Crobat Gs
Any amount of PokéTurns
2 or more Poké Healer +

On Bench:

Metagross SV

Active Pokémon:

Metagross LA w/Expert Belt, Special Metal Energy and DCE

One ends up with the ability to essentially perform mass OHKOs without needing repeat attacks. As long as said setup is made in a timely manner, it's nearly impossible to stop me from taking 6 prizes.

Next up is the real problem here - speed. The current build is effective, but is ever so slightly too slow. I can't find room for things like Pokédex HANDY910is or Poké Drawer + that essentially make the deck smaller. If I could add both, then this deck would essentially contain 52 cards. Of those 52, 7 go to my starting hand, making it 45. Of those 45, 6 are prizes, making the deck essentially start at 39, minus 1 because Luxury Ball is pretty much a stand-in for any Pokémon of my choice - so 38. If Unown R can be added without causing bad starts all around, it further decreases this to 34. More than half the deck gone through instantly, that would help speed quite a bit.

Too bad that's not possible, so what can I actually do in here for speed?

I think 4 Bats is way too much. Even SP decks rarely run more than 2. My suggestions:

-1 Crobat
-1 Jirachi
-1 Rare Candy

+2 Pokedex
+1 Uxie Lv. X
(Or +3 Pokedex, but if you can get a hold of Uxie X it's great.)

While Uxie LV.X looks good next season, there are two overall problems I have with it:

Monetary Cost ($35-65 USD is too much - cheaper than Jumpluff + Luxray but still too much)
Retreat Cost (I can't really afford the extra energy to retreat)

...I'll try it, but I don't like the idea all that well.

Why lower the Rare Candy count?

---------- Post added 06/10/2010 at 05:14 PM ----------

Yeah, I can't consistently get the Uxie out quickly. It's useful when I get it, but it's not quickly enough.

Also, Rare Candy isn't being drawn nearly often enough with only 3.

The major issue with Uxie helping me is hand size. In that case, perhaps I should remove one of the culprits. Also, I almost never get a chance to use Bebe's.

-1 Interviewer's Question
-1 Bebe's Search

+1 Rare Candy
+1 Pokedex

Uxie LV.X took too much to get up. I swapped it out of the deck.

The regular Uxies aren't very good most of the time because I usually have more than 7 cards in hand - typically 14 or so.

Any ideas? The main thing missing is drawpower. Cynthia's Feelings even generates negative card advantage with its "draw 8" version of the effect working, even if I search it with Jirachi.

Also, I have less use for the PokeTurns with Metagross SV. I'm considering removing one or two.

-2 Uxie
-1 or 2 PokeTurn
-1 Cynthia's Feelings

+???

What can be added for more speed? I've heard that Unown R may be good, and PokeDrawer may be worth consideration...

---------- Post added 06/11/2010 at 05:40 PM ----------

I'll just remove the one PokeTurn and make it 4 PokeDrawers for now. Any other ideas are appreciated.

---------- Post added 06/11/2010 at 05:50 PM ----------

Messed with it a bit more.

Sorry for asking, but what have been the main problems with this deck? Once I know that, I can probably help.

If you have rising rivals jirachi then you only need 2 pokemon collectors. Since you only have one uxie perhaps a few dusk balls might be of use?

Sorry for asking, but what have been the main problems with this deck? Once I know that, I can probably help.

Right now, it's the draw engine. Everything was OK until the draw engine stopped working due to excessively large hands. Uxie now only works early-game (and even then only sometimes) because Collector and Cyrus will fill up my hand too much. I also constantly run out of bench space - another big issue with Uxie.

It's because of that that I had to remove the 2-1 Uxie LV.X. Either way, I could barely ever use the LV.X...

This build has to be fast - it loses quite quickly otherwise. For a while, it was speedy but weak. Now, it's stronger but slow.

If you have rising rivals jirachi then you only need 2 pokemon collectors. Since you only have one uxie perhaps a few dusk balls might be of use?

Uxie actually barely helps at all. A constantly large hand size has been making it not work out.

However, if the build is reworked to keep it small, than I could simply run 2 Uxie and voila.

I'm now removing a Cyrus and a Collector. They will be replaced with a 4th Bebe's and a second Uxie.

Hmm... this is for next season. correct? I would suggest Claydol, but that isn't legal anymore.

I would suggest, maybe, Professor Oak's Visit, which is fairly decent. Otherwise, I don't know. I'm not sure if you even need Cyrus, because I noticed that you only have 2 SP's- the Crobats. However, you have the Poke Turns, which could cause problems with those being as consistent.

Hmm... this is for next season. correct? I would suggest Claydol, but that isn't legal anymore.

I would suggest, maybe, Professor Oak's Visit, which is fairly decent. Otherwise, I don't know. I'm not sure if you even need Cyrus, because I noticed that you only have 2 SP's- the Crobats. However, you have the Poke Turns, which could cause problems with those being as consistent.

Claydol wouldn't have worked anyways. Currently, I'm trying to solve the 14-card hand issue. that makes Uxie not work, and Uxie has a slightly higher tolerance for this.

As for removing Cyrus... it all depends - what can survive after losing 90 HP that's notable?

The answer is simple - most SP LV.Xs. I can't KO those with Metagross SV benched and Metagross LA active and set-up with Expert Belt. I need the Crobats to top off the damage. As I also need the Crobats to vacate their bench spaces, I need PokeTurn. However, I could always replace PokeTurn with SSUs and Cyrus with something else. If I replace Cyrus, one of the newly added SSUs, and two Bebe's with three Supporter draw cards and a fourth Jirachi (or just 4 PokeDrawer), it could work out.

Now there's selecting the supporter draw. The Supporter draw available that's not already in use are:

Mom's Kindness
Buck's Training
Looker's Investigation
Underground Expedition
Volkner's Philosophy
Cynthia's Guidance
Professor Oak's Visit
Bill
Copycat
Professor Oak's New Theory
Cheerleader's Cheer
Emcee's Chatter
Engineer's Adjustments
Judge

Of those, the following are playable here:

Buck's Training
Professor Oak's Visit
Cheerleader's Cheer
Copycat

However, Buck's secondary effect won't have many chances to be used, and Copycat is reliant of the opponent. So one ends up with:

Professor Oak's Visit
Cheerleader's Cheer

So what's better? Placing one card on the bottom, or allowing the opponent to draw? Since Uxie's in here, the placing one on the bottom is better, so it seems you were correct.

Changes end up as:

-3 PokeTurn
-1 Cyrus's
-2 Bebe's

+2 SSU
+3 POV
+1 Jirachi

OR

-3 PokeTurn
-1 Cyrus's
-2 Bebe's

+2 SSU
+4 PokeDrawer+

Which one makes more sense?

Until I get a response, I'll use PokeDrawer since my hand size is kept smaller - I'll test the other one

---------- Post added 06/11/2010 at 06:51 PM ----------

Also, I'm considering Sableye or Spiritomb instead of Jirachi.

Last edited:
So, you have big hands. Got the perfect idea.

A little story. So, in my deck (see 1st link in my signature) my main attacker, Masquerain SV, has an attack that also lets you draw two cards. Draw engine right there. However, it thins my deck, making me almost lose several times, because my deck was so small. So, I put in 3 Night Teleporters. Check it out in the Researching Tower here, it's quite nice. The thing that stinks about it is that it makes you flip a coin...

Otherwise, Cynthia's Feelings is quite nice to keep your hand smaller.

I'd choose the 1st set of changes, over the 2nd, but use what you like better. I don't have a chance to actually play this deck, so I wouldn't know.

Good choice on putting Jirachi in there. I just checked out the card, and it ain't too bad.

Night Teleporter... That cards looks VERY risky, but I'll add 1 and give it a shot.

Messed with the build a bit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back