Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Midlothian Spring BR {Win}

Sandslash7

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Sandslash7
6/6/10
Midlothian/Battle City Games Battle Roads
So this is my first event in over a year, though I’ve kept up with the game sort of, having played some variation of SP Jank since the start of the year. I decide to go with Luxchomp, and wrangle up the cards I need for the deck from people. I came up with a decent list based of my other SP stuff plus some other input, so I decided to stick with it.

Forgive the brevity and lack of gameplay detail, i wasn't planning on writing a report and with so many games played its a bit fuzzy.

Pokémon: 17
2-2 Chomp X
2-2 Lux X
1-1 Ninetales MT
1-1 Claydol
2 Uxie LA
1 Ambipom G
1 Lucario GL
1 Crobat G

NRG: 14
4 DCE
4 Call
4 Fire
2 Lightning

Trainers: 29
4 Cyrus
4 Rosy
2 Bebe
1 Aaron
4 Turn
3 Gain
3 Spray
3 Radar
2 Belt
1 Luxury Ball
1 NM
1 TS-02

So the list is interesting, and I knew that Torterra was big in my area, so I had Ninetales in there for Belted/Lucario OHKO on Torterras... TS-02 for Candy+Torterra/Gyarados KOs mostly.

Round One: Tyree with Flygon/Nidoqueen/Torterra
This is the only matchup I’d practiced with Luxchomp other than some randoms on RS with R_A, so I thought I knew what I wanted to do in the game. Unfortunately, I prized Claydol, Vulpix, and Ambipom. I wanted the Pom to Tail Code his 3 Grass energy to Nidoqueen then sweep everything else with DragonRush/Ninetales. However, I couldn’t get anything going, and his Flygon Lv X Extreme Speeds at least one of my Lv X’s, so in the end I Bright Look and Dragon Rush a Belted Flygon to take my second and third prizes, and he KO’es my Garchomp FTL.
Record: 0-1

At this point I know I have to win out to get into the top cut, so I buckle down after going to Burger King for food after the round ends.

Round Two: Yoyofsho with Luxchomp
I’m asked how good my mirror is, and ponder it a bit, before asking how good his mirror is, to which Time for Pain says: Good Question. I believe that I can get the game, so we deal up and start. I start decently, with Garchomp and something else. I get some stuff going, and meanwhile I take out 1 Uxie and a Uxie leveled up as he tries to string stuff together. Hes got a Luxray with a gain and energy and a Crobat/something, and tries to Uxie with ONE card left in his hand. I spray it, and he’s left with practically nothing. I continue to snipe things off with Garchomps and I’ve got my Claydol out, so I let him keep Flash Impacting and damaging himself. I Dragon Rush a promocroak, and he KOes my Garchomp. I promote a belted Uxie and Psychic Restore for the KO on Luxray. He sends up his 30 damaged Bronzong G, which I flash impact for the win.
Record: 1-1

Game Three: Charizard
I start awesomely, and Dragon rush his Claydol after he Darkness Graces’ for it. I take 6 prizes through Luxray/Garchomps, never giving up one.
Record: 2-1

I’m very happy I was able to pull out the mirror, and that I had a Spray at the right time.
Game Four: Daryl with Pl0x
This is Game One of the battle against the store owners, hahaha. I start with a pretty good hand, with Garchomp, Ambipom G, call, Rosie, Luxury Ball and a Garchomp Lv X. I go first, start with Ambipom, and Call for Baltoy and luxray. Has a Ralts, but lays down a Downer Material Azelf and a Mesprit, Psychic Binding me. He also gets out a Uxie within a turn, so I’m now stuck attaching extra energy to do anything to him. A few turns later He gets a Gardevior up, and begins to Plox for 80 (with Belt). I Earthquake him 50. He levels up, teleports, brings out the Azelf, leveling up and deep balancing for 2. I use Cyrus to get another turn and turn Crobat twice to put 2 on Gardevior Lv X. I then Dragon Rushed the Gardy for 2 prizes, and I had 3 left. He loses his azelf before conceding with only a mesprit, uxie, and Kirlia on the field.
Record: 3-1

Game Five: Random water deck.
I start with Uxie, Call, and Belt, but I go first, so I psychic restore for 20 against her lone Totodile. She does 10 damage, and I Belt for the KO.
Record: 4-1

Well, I find out I made top cut, so I arranged my deck and rolled my eyes when I found out I had to play the regional champion.

Top 4: Time for Pain with Gyarados/Jank
I start with swarming 2 Luxray with 1 Garchomp and a Baltoy and Ambipom. I Dragon Rush his Solrock, but I forget about the other Lunatone protecting it from Lv X’s, so the game goes downhill and I scoop with 2 prizes left for him and 3 for me.
Game 2 starts much better, and I get out 2 Luxray again, and Trash Bolt with Lucario out and sweep about 4 prizes before he scoops.
Game 3 is similar, and I grab 2 Luxray early. I KO a Solrock, Lunatone, 2 Sableye, and a Gyarados. He brings out a massive basic threat, but I Bright look out an Azelf and Trash Bolt for the KO.
Record: 5-1

Top 2: Cary with Torterra/Flygon
Again, I’ve played this a few times, so I think I know my way around the matchup. Also, Game two versus the store owners.
I start ok, but lag behind after taking an early lead. Forest Murmurs took away my Claydol, which put me behind. I was able to get 5 prizes, but he took the game after 30 minutes.
Game two is much better, starting with Ambipom and Tail Coding and Snap Tailing for a few prizes off of Spiritomb and Azelf. I also Dragon Rush his Claydol, which really helped. I rush to get the fourth prize to legitimize the game, and grab it by Bright-Looking a Baltoy (I think). He Judges, but I take another prize before time is called, and he only had taken 1 on me.
Game Three: It is Sudden death, so 1 prize. I start with: Luxray, Call, Turn, Gain, Cyrus, Luxray Lv X, Luxury Ball. AMAZING HAND! I KNOW I can pull off a T1 win if I go second, grabbing Ambipom G and Snap Tailing for the KO. However, I go first, so I Call for Ambipom G and Baltoy. He had a lone Turtwig, but plays down a Baltoy and Azlef, grabbing a Nidoqueen from the prizes. He Belts the Turtwig and Judges. I was dreading this card, and he just ruined my win. He plays a psychic and does 30 to my Luxray. I draw: Cyrus, Aarons, and two other cards that don’t matter. I rip a Luxray Lv X topdeck, Cyrus for a Lightning, and Bright Look/Flash Impact the Baltoy for the win.
Record: 6-1

So, my first constructed tournament win! Yay!

Props:
People who lent me cards to make the deck
Power Spraying at the right time
God for being awesome
Ripping Luxray FTW
Great prize packs (2 Primes, Steelix/Kingdra)
Ambipom G for being PRO
Great Wingmen taking out stuff I didn't want to face

Slops:
This being the first constructed tournament I’ve ever won prizes in.
Ninetales and the Devoluter for doing ABSOLUTELY nothing in all 11 games I played today…

Last edited:
Taking down both the regional champ AND the guy who's paying the rent so you have a place to play???

Just COLD, SSlash, as cold as ICE!!

Congrats on a great event!!!

WHosE HoUse ?

Brad's House (*wicky wicky 'say whuh'*)

See there. We should RedShark moAr :biggrin:

This is awesome! I feel like I ran right wing for you all day taking down on things you didn't want to face :lol:

R_A, Duly noted in the props, my man. And yes, we should RS more, that would be fun.

Totoro ~ Thanks, it was a tough but fun fight. Tho I still feel bad for TfP for beating him though. :thumb:

Dude, don't feel bad for beating me, you got the win.

GJ on the win, it is well deserved and had to happen sooner or later. :thumb:

Back