FLCLFANMAN

Like the title says, this card is severely underated

90 HP stage one with a lockdown attack for one energy. Effectively shuts down:

Gigas X
Alakazam X
Palkia X
Snorlax X
Infernape E4 X

and the list goes on. Its second attack isn't bad; being able to hit a max 60 for 2 energy.

Thoughts?

It can be teched and should get better with time. When Unown G cycles out, many pokes will be unable to protect themselves from effects.

It can be teched and should get better with time. If Unown G cycles out, many pokes will be unable to protect themselves from effects.

Fix'd. I'm not trying to rain on your parade (since I play Gengar, and see Unown G taken out would be hilarious), but we can't guarantee whether Mightyena will be worth a damn yet or not.

Fix'd. I'm not trying to rain on your parade (since I play Gengar, and see Unown G taken out would be hilarious), but we can't guarantee whether Mightyena will be worth a damn yet or not.

true, they may keep GE around to fight off Macheap, but I still like it, especially early in the game before your opponent can set up

true, they may keep GE around to fight off Macheap, but I still like it, especially early in the game before your opponent can set up

I wouldn't belittle it's value in a MightyTank deck, to be honest. In an SP heavy metagame, LA Mightyena might be handy disruption in a deck that revolves around Mightyena in general.

I wouldn't belittle it's value in a MightyTank deck, to be honest. In an SP heavy metagame, LA Mightyena might be handy disruption in a deck that revolves around Mightyena in general.

I thought about that too. Since the PT Mightyena has free retreat you can set up a Psuedo-basic lock w. poison on their poke. Second attack is somewhat controllable so it helps against gengar

I still don't think it is all that great.

Not only do you have to waste 2 spaces to fit in a tech that comes in handy maybe 2 turns a game, you also have to play Dark energy (or Rainbow, perhaps Multi depending on the deck, but Multi is essentially useless now a days) and there are not a lot of good Dark decks out there in today's format (T-Tar and G Toolbox using Weavile and Honchkrow are pretty much the only ones)

so when you use up 2-4 spaces for your Mightyena tech, you could have used it to put in trainers/Uxie/Claydol to boost consistency or do something for the deck

Consistency>Fancy Techs

A strong SP deck would bring it down faster than you could build it.

Warp or Poketurn then smack it for a KO or.. at least a good smack for 50 - 70 damage.

It's ALWAYS bad math when you're hitting for 30 and they're hitting for double or triple that.
and... NOT KOing something is always going to buy time for THEM to build a benched monster....

Let me propose this idea. Every card that Mightyena is good against, Machamp is good against. They are both good against the same pokemon for the same reason, because they are basic. Now, lets look at the overall metagame. Which card is better against everything else?

There are plenty of cards this format that are overlooked and underated, but in this case, I feel people chose the better overall card.

Let me propose this idea. Every card that Mightyena is good against, Machamp is good against. They are both good against the same pokemon for the same reason, because they are basic. Now, lets look at the overall metagame. Which card is better against everything else?

There are plenty of cards this format that are overlooked and underated, but in this case, I feel people chose the better overall card.

The real question is which one is BALANCED. One requires some thought and playtesting, while the other is a broken donking machine. Machamp is the perfect example of card design gone terribly wrong.

Like I said, it may take time for Mightyena to catch on, but it certainly isn't a bad cad IMO.

Back