Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mixing Themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHarris71

Hello, I am making some decks for my two sons. I have aquired over 700 cards. I have found the multiple themes to be annoying. A pikachu from one them is different than others. Then you add Gym Leader pokemon on top of that.
Here are my questions.
Can I mix themes? For example:
Can I have an origional pikachu and a neo pikachu in the same deck?
If so, can I evolve them to a raichu from a different theme alltogether?

Lastly, is it normal to have trainer compete against eachother with different theme decks?
For eample can a fossil deck compete against a Team Rocket deck?

Thanks,
Doug

Sure. You can mix and match to your hearts content. The only thing you have to make sure is that the names match correctly.

For example, you can use Base Set, Jungle and Neo Genesis "Pikachu" in your deck and evolve them to Fossil "Raichu". In fact, since there is no Fossil "Pikachu", the only way to evolve to a Fossil "Raichu" is to use one from a different set!

Note that the names match. Raichu says "evolves from Pikachu". That is what makes it work.

If you had a "Lt. Surge's Raichu" you would not be able to use one of your "Pikachu". That is because it says on it "evolves from Lt Surge's Pikachu". In this case, you need to have what the card is asking for: A "Lt. Surge's Pikachu".

While it seems complicated at first, it all boils down to going by what the card says it evolves from (or into, in the case of Baby Pokemon). That's all you have to check.

Last edited:
Oh, and as for decks from different sets playing against each other: Sure. No problem. Especially in non-competitive play.
Now, if you were to play in a tournament, you might need to worry about what sets are legal in the format of the tournament. But for playing fun games with your kids, go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back