Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Moltres...Zapdos...Articuno...Dragonite...the four Legendary Cards

Crystal Hikara

Now, some of you, I’m sure, haven’t been playing since the GBC days. Some of you might’ve, but never picked up the TCG game for the Game Boy Color. And for those of you who have, well…no need to introduce the four legendary cards that the hero, Mark, sought to obtain, I hope?

Regardless, I’m not here to reminisce about days long past. I’m here to get advice on how to make the Legendary Moltres, Legendary Zapdos, Legendary Articuno and Legendary Dragonite that the Grand Masters of the TCG for the GBC wielded better and still legendary, even in today’s format that has cards that can knock out a Pokemon with two energies. (I’m lookin’ at you, Garde.)

Why? The Pokemon Online project. I’m one of the few designers or staff in general for the [currently offline and still undergoing programming] game that will feature all four regions, the Orange Islands, and a playable TCG featuring all of the cards to date (even some Japanese sets, like the Johto Versus series, that never made it to the US), including POP obtainable lookalikes from attending league in game. I’m one of the few advocates for the TCG part of the game, but I won’t bore you too much with the details. Basically I get the fun part of scanning in cards, keeping the rules up-to-date, making the outlay for the card game whilst playing Pokemon Online, getting sprites for TCG GBC exclusive characters (Mark, Ronald, the Club Masters, Imakuni?, Mint, the Grand Masters, etc.) and so on, but this Legendary card thing has got me all riled up since I saw the DP4 Zapdos doing 80 damage consistently to the opponent and it had just as many energy cards. (Granted, there’s that fact that it does damage to your bench, but it still caused a catalyst to change these cards.)

So, here’s the goal, and keep these other things in mind when posting up suggestions for changing the cards:
-Make a card that could beat top decks of today and of past (GG, Mag, etc.) without having the cards be Lv. Xs.
-Starting suggestions are taken word for word from the TCG game itself. This is back in the days of Fossil, Base, and Jungle, so they definitely need help.
-The game only allows for two of each Legendary card to be passed upon max to the hero, so there is no need for a * or shining rule where you can only have one of the legendary cards in your deck.
-People that help with the concept of these cards and the card concepts are passed through the top designer of the game who’s in charge of everything, Platinum, will be listed and given credit for their work on the POL site (once it gets back up!)
-Each Legendary card is simply named as a species instead of ‘legendary’ such-and-such’. Advise on how to prevent these from having Lv. Xs being playable on the legendary cards, if possible, would be appreciated.

So, let’s start things off…

Legendary Moltres (known as Moltres Lv. 37)
Type: :fire:
HP: 100
Pokemon Power: Firegiver
When you put Moltres into play during your turn (not during set-up), put from 1-4 (chosen at random) Basic Fire Energy Cards from your deck into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
[Fr][Fr][Fr] Dive Bomb 70
Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing.
Weakness: None
Resistance: Fi -30
Retreat Cost: [c][c]

Legendary Zapdos (known as Zapdos Lv. 68)
Type: :lightning:
Pokemon Power: Peal of Thunder
When you put Zapdos into play during your turn (not during set-up), do 30 damage to a Pokemon other than Zapdos chosen at random. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.)
[L][L][L] Big Thunder
Choose a Pokemon other than Zapdos at random. This attack does 70 damage to that Pokemon. Don’t apply Weakness or Resistance for this attack. (Any other effects that would happen after applying Weakness and Resistance still happen.)
Resistance: Fi –30

Legendary Articuno (known as Articuno Lv. 37)
Type: :water:
Pokemon Power: Quickfreeze
When you put Articuno into play during your turn (not during set-up), flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now paralyzed.
[W][W][W] Ice Breath
Does 40 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon chosen at random. Don’t apple Weakness or Resistance for this attack. (Any other effects that would happen after applying Weakness and Resistance still happen.)
Resistance: Fi –30

Legendary Dragonite (known as Dragonite Lv. 41)
Type: :colorless:
Pokemon Power: Healing Wind
When you put Dragonite into play, remove two damage counters from each of your Pokemon. If a Pokemon has fewer damage counters than that, remove all of them from that Pokemon.
[c][c][c] Slam 30x
Flip 2 coins. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads.
Resistance: Psy –30

Okay…now that that ugly mess is outta the way, I’ll put my suggestions to improve these once-called legendary cards and ask for some feedback. You’re also welcome to entirely do over the format of the card if you want…just try to keep the powers and general names of the attacks in place, as well as the fact that they don’t have weakness. Oh, and the ‘chosen at random’ part can be kept, given this will be for a computer format.

Legendary Moltres (Moltres Lv. 37)
Type: :fire:
(area text where * text would be) You may not level up Moltres Lv. 37.
HP: 120
Pokemon Power: Firegiver
When you put Moltres from your hand onto your bench, you may search your deck for 1-10 Basic Fire energy cards (chosen at random), show them to your opponent, and add them to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
[Fr][Fr][C] Dive Bomb 120
Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing.
Resistance: Fi –30, G –30
Retreat Cost: [C]

HP has been upped to be reasonable against most Lv. Xs to 120. More of a tech card than anything, though.
The count has been upped to 10 for a possible random draw for Firegiver, driven by Javascript intergers. It’d be similar to Togekiss, with two major exceptions, one positive and one negative:
+ Searches the entire deck for basic fire, not just the top ten cards.
- Do not get attached to Pokemon in play.
Another good thing that works for Moltres is that it’s a basic; if SSU works (or you’re allowed the oldschool Scoop Up) you can continuously pull more and more energy into your hand- great for an energy drought.
One fire energy requirement has been dropped and colorless was put in for Dive Bomb. Damage lifted to 120, enough to knock out most stage twos…if you flip right. (Reference, Dragonite EX from EX Dragon.)
Grass was added as a resistance…makes sense to me, given Moltres has some serious resistance to grass types in cartridge games. Resistance kept at 30 for a superior, nostalgic feel.
-Retreat cost was taken down, given it’s more a tech card.

Legendary Zapdos (Zapdos Lv. 68)
Type: :lightning:
(area text where * text would be) You may not level up Zapdos Lv. 68.
HP: 130
Pokemon Power: Peal of Thunder
When you put Zapdos from your hand onto your bench, do 30 damage to all benched Pokemon in play (including your own) except Zapdos. This Poke-Power isn’t affected by Poke-powers, Poke-bodies, Weakness, Resistance, or any other effect from an attack on the Pokemon Peal of Thunder does damage to.
[L][L][L] Big Thunder 90
Flip a coin. If heads, discard two :lightning: energy attached to Zapdos. Choose one Pokemon other than Zapdos in play at random. Place 4 damage counters onto that Pokemon.
Resistance: Fi –30, M -30
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

HP has been upped to 130 to make it similar to Gardevoir X. This could actually work well for decks that take advantage of spread damage, but can be a little unpredictable.
Peal of Thunder now affects all Pokemon on the bench, getting around things like Bastiodon’s Pokebody, doing 30 damage to both you and your opponent. Great if you have no bench and your opponent has 3-5 on the bench. Can backfire if not put into play properly (if, say, you chose to put that 50-lower basic on your bench before playing Zapdos).
Big Thunder now does damage that is appliable by weakness and resistance to the active Pokemon steadily. However, the unpredictability of knowing which Pokemon will get hit if you flip a heads and discarding two cards can deter players from using this move. Still kept in the same general area as its chaotic first part.
Metal has been added as a resistance, as most lightning Pokemon these days have resistance to most metal cards.

Legendary Articuno (Articuno Lv. 37)
Type: :water:
(area text where * text would be) You may not level up Articuno Lv. 37.
HP: 150
Pokemon Power: Quickfreeze
Once during your turn (before you attack) you may flip a coin. If heads, all active defending Pokemon are paralyzed. If tails, all of your active Pokemon are paralyzed. This power can’t be used if Articuno is affected by a special condition.
[W][W] Ice Breath 40
Does 20 damage to one of your opponent’s Pokemon chosen at random. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)
Resistance: Fi –30, G –30
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

HP was upped to a whopping 150, given it can’t do a lot of damage. (That and Articuno was always the legendary bird that had the highest Def. and Sp. Def. stats.)
Quickfreeze was made a once-during-your-turn Power to help even out the odds (making it similar to Vileplume Delta’s Poison Pollen, except with paralysis instead) that it may not work one turn. Great as a tech card if you flip right. Leveled out with chance of paralyzing yourself (though useful if you’re asleep/confused, as paralysis cancels it out- possible strategy counter to Darkrai’s double sleep condition?).
Ice Breath’s energy cost has been taken down to two Water Energy. Does consistent damage and spreads, making it similar to Lucario’s Aura Sphere.
Added resistance to Grass, because ice and flying types do well against grass types.

Legendary Dragonite (Dragonite Lv. 41)
Type: :colorless:
(area text where * text would be) You may not level up Dragonite Lv. 41.
HP: 140
Pokemon Power: Healing Wind
Once during your turn (before you attack), if Dragonite is your active Pokemon, you may flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, remove 10 damage from all of your Pokemon in play. This power can’t be used if Dragonite is affected by a special condition.
[C][C][C] Slam 60x
Flip three coins. This attack does 60 times the amount of heads.
Resistance: P -30, W –30
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

HP upped to 140, making it a threat that won’t go down easily.
Healing Wind is now a flip-based once-during-your-turn Power. Can be used with Cresselia/Base Alakazam to easily sweep damage away if you flip right? Has to be active to use to level out the playing field and make it less of a tech card.
Slam’s times damage was doubled to 60 to have possible 180 per turn, putting it in the same field as Gallade/Mag in terms of damage abilities.
Water was added as a resistance, given Dragonite is a dragon type and Dragonair is found in waterish areas.
Retreat Cost was bumped up by one colorless energy to make this beast a little more fair.

I tried to balance out these cards, even if they’re supposed to be extremely ‘legendary’ and difficult to beat, because I didn’t want them to be unbeatable; the player must beat the four Grand Masters in order to inherit these cards, and they themselves use two of each card in their decks. I’m looking for serious feedback concerning these cards, to see what strategies people would want to use these cards in unlimited and in modified decks, see if they’re still underpowered in comparison to today’s cards or if I made them overpowered, etc. I feel as though all four could still use some work, and I’m not talking about the resistance department.

…6 pages on word. I really, really need to stop doing this. >_>

Oh, and I’ll start a list of suggestions- just give me a hyperlink to your post so I won’t lose it.

Other suggestions for the Legendary Cards:
None Currently

Whoah, those cards are just... wickedly powerful.

You have WAY too much HP on them. I mean, nowadays, Basics have usually 100HP, 3 Retreat. Defense Deoxys is going for the modern record with 100HP, 2 Retreat. The original record was Chansey (120HP, 1 Retreat), but its attacks were horrible in comparison.

Papi/Manny- Javascript. This is for an ONLINE GAME. Not for actual card format, though I imagine if it was, there would be coin flipping involved.

charmander rox said:
Whoah, those cards are just... wickedly powerful.

You have WAY too much HP on them. I mean, nowadays, Basics have usually 100HP, 3 Retreat. Defense Deoxys is going for the modern record with 100HP, 2 Retreat. The original record was Chansey (120HP, 1 Retreat), but its attacks were horrible in comparison.

These are 'legendary cards', meant to rival even Lv. Xs easily. They're to be only given out, like in the old TCG, when you beat the four Grand Masters, whom played two of each card in their deck. Thus, they'd be far rarer than TSD to get, they would not be sold, could not be traded for, etc.

Doesn't anyone read anything? -.-

Just nitpickin', but Dragonites dont have P Resist anymore. Maybe alter that.

Funny. Just as I picked up that game again.

I read it, it's just that those guys are so powerful, they almost can't be defeated.

Exactly the point; they make the cards that much harder to defeat, and that much more worthy to win. :3 Besides, if all else fails, snipe the bench like mad and use oldschool Hurricane Pidgeot to swipe the legendary back into the deck.

Scipio said:
Just nitpickin', but Dragonites dont have P Resist anymore. Maybe alter that.

Funny. Just as I picked up that game again.

P resistance was kept for vintage feel, and to make Dragonite a little more decent, not to mention here are countless psychics out there. You'd also note the -30 resistances I kept for them all.

Such a great game. Far too easy to beat though. :/

Back