Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

More Darkness questions

NoPoke

Q. The wording on Darkness Energy from the EX:Ruby/Sapphire expansion says, "if the Pokemon Darkness Energy is attached to attacks, the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokemon." Does this mean that you get to add +10 even if an attack does no damage at all to the Defending Pokemon (i.e. EX:Sandstorm Murkrow's "Surprise" attack)?
A. No, it still applies only if there was initial damage to add to. So in other words, you still have to do some damage in order to have "10 more" done. (Sep 18, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

So what of the folowing:

The attack is designed to do damage but you flip tails and end up with zero damage? The card text would have me believe that the attack would still get the +10 from the darkness energy card but the rulling says otherwise.

A pokemon power on the defending pokemon reduces the attack to zero? Is the +10 then lost even though its addition would be sufficient to get past the barrier pokemon power.

Resistance reduces the attack to zero. So again the +10 from the card is no longer added?

All of these hinge around the fact that you can start with a card that could do potential damage, flips may reduce that to zero (initial damage???) and then powers or resistance could reduce the actual damage to zero.

Actually doing damage is quite different to having an attack that can potentially do damage.

yeah it gets me confused too when it says "attack"

btw

Resistance reduces the attack to zero. So again the +10 from the card is no longer added?
you only +10 damage after applying resist and weakness

Darkness bonus damage is done before applying W/R. So if a Dark Type Pokémon with DC attacks a D Resistant Pokémon and does 20 damage, it gets increased to 30 but Resistance kicks in to reduce the damage to 0.
(R&S Rulebook - P17 step b)

What about "Placing Damage counter" attacks? Since the card specifies "attacks" and not "damage" does this type of attack get the bonus? (Can't think of an attack that this would apply for and can't remember if it's already been asked).

I was wondering about that too. SR murkrow first attack places a damage counter on one of your opponent's pokemon.

The difficulty with the wording in the answer is that it contains the statement that damage must be done before you get the +10 bonus. This is like the wotc darkness.

Personally I like the idea suggested by ????? that to get the benefit the attack must be templated to actually damage the defending pokemon. This would then be extended by example to either include or exclude those attacks that just place damage counters.

[Sorry ????? whoever you are.]

Back