More rare Candy and the New BELTS!

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by NoPoke, Mar 9, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

summary
    Rare Candy: 'evolves from'

Star Piece: 'evolves into'

Pokemon Breeder: 'put the stage 2 on the matching'

Wally's Training Method: 'evolves from'

Team Aqua Belt: 'evolves from'

Team Magma Belt: 'evolves from'

And the rulings:

Rare Candy: can skip a stage

Star Piece: next stage in the chain only

Breeder: must be a stage two.

Wally: next stage only

Belts:??????????

So which way will the new Belts be rulled?? There is no consistancy in current rullings on 'evolves from'

FWIW I believe that the Rare Candy rulling is incorrect if play as written is used as the primary way of deciding rullings. So I would favour the two Belts only being able to take the next stage in the evolution chain.

[aside: If this is rulled to allow skipping a stage like rare candy then I suspect that we will see a can't play Tools on the first turn shortly after the yet to be introduced no supporters rule from Japan ]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You're pulling the Stage skipping part of the Trainer's effect just from one piece of the text and it's not the part of the text which determines that effect.

Rare cany can skip a stage because:
    1. It specifies that the target is a Basic
    2. It specifies a Stage 1 or Stage 2 as the "effected" card.

It's that combination of text that let's Rare Candy "Breed".

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Stage 1's can count as basics when in play. It always seemed to me that that was what was refered to by the subsequent text.

so if you have a stage 1 on the bench acting as a basic pokemon then the only card that can evolve from it is a stage two. There are lots of ways of getting stage ones onto the bench that are treated as basics.

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

The TO at the pre-release I went to ruled that belts could evolve the pokemon. ONLY because it says between turns. So when your pokemon evolves, it actually isn't your first turn, but after your first turn in which you can do anything now.

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Yeah, we have actually discussed that point with PUI, but they were firm in that it referred to allowing a stage skip.

My point, though, was that the "evolved from" and "evolved to" texts did not impact the level skip, only whether Baby Pokemon, Basic Pokemon with the Baby Power Poke-Power, Fossil cards, etc. can use it or not.

6. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

That was covered in the FAQs and he ruled correctly

7. Clefable73

Clefable73 New Member

I had an additional question about the belts. If I play a belt on an Aqua's pokemon my first turn in between turns it evolves. When it comes back to my turn can I evolve into the stage 2 or does it count as already evolved during my turn? Clarification. I go first, turn one I play a aron with a Magma belt, in between turns the Magma belt searches for the lairon. My opponent goes. My turn comes, I draw and use a conspirator pulling the Magma's Aggron, can I evolve the lairon?

8. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Yes. It did not evolve during your turn, so you can evolve it. The limitation is that it can't evolve the same turn it was played, not that it has to wait until the next turn.
    It's similar to the card Challenge! from TR.
    If you accept the challenge from your opponent, you can fill up your bench on his turn and then evolve them when it comes around to your turn even though they weren't put in play during your turn.

9. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Yes you could play a Stage 2 onto your Belted Stage 1. The Evolving happens between turns (between your turn and the start of your opponent). When it is your turn again, you can normally evolve any Pokémon already in play.

10. PokeMasterFlabface

PokeMasterFlabface <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Man I can't wait to have those belts, its going to make a lot of non-Ex Pokemon a lot stronger. Looks like TA & TM Pokemon are good enough to take on the toughest of the Ex Pokemon. :)

11. beatlerat

beatlerat New Member

All that is fine except you can't use Team Magma's Conspirator to pull Magma's Aggron. Only Basics or basic Energies.

Team Magma Conspirator:
    Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of Basic Pokemon with Team Magma in its name and basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck aftewards.