Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Muk ex/Umbreon - Power Trap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycodad

The straight MUK ex beatdown decks posted so far are weak to psychic. This week @ the shack I faced 4 psychic decks (one was a grumpig/amphy deck) and lost to 3. Kecleon and Wobby were not enough to win for me against psychic although I did take down a gardy ex with kecleon. I have decided to try playing Muk EX like the old dark muk decks and add dark pokemon to cover my psy weakness. Here's my new list

Note-Umbreon list is lower in the post
Pokemon: 17
4 Grimer
4 Muk ex
2 absol
2 murkrow
3 Roselia - I like this card but do not use it that often
2 zangoose - may switch out one for a tech seviper

Trainers: 25
4 Oak's Research
4 shaman
2 birch
2 fan club
2 TV
3 potion
2 Fast Ball
2 masterball
2 poke nav - may drop for another masterball and potion
2 Low Pressure System

Energy: 18
13 Grass
4 dark
1 multi
I find with this deck the trick is to get a muk ex active by turn 2 or 3. You typically loose the first one which is fine. Then I use another muk or an absol. Absol is great for late comebacks. Even so, I find that you really need to focus on keeping a muk ex active as much as possible. Support pokes are use situationally. This list is basically a fast swarm deck which shuts off powers.

Last edited:
psycodad said:
The MUK ex decks posted so far are weak to psychic. This week @ the shack I faced 4 psychic decks (one was a grumpig/amphy deck) and lost to 3. Kecleon and Wobby were not enough to win for me against psychic although I did take down a gardy ex with kecleon. I have decided to try playing Muk EX like the old dark muk decks and add dark pokemon to cover my psy weakness. Here's my new list

4 Grimer
4 Muk ex
2 absol
2 murkrow

4 Oak's Research
4 shaman
2 birch
2 fan club
2 TV
3 potion
2 Fast Ball
2 masterball
2 poke nav - may drop for another masterball and potion
2 Low Pressure System

13 Grass
4 dark
1 multi

I find with this deck the trick is to get a muk ex active by turn 2 or 3. You typically loose the first one which is fine. Then I use another muk or an absol. Absol is great for late comebacks. Even so, I find that you really need to focus on keeping a muk ex active as much as possible. Support pokes are use situationally. This list is basically a fast swarm deck which shuts off powers.

Hey

Anyway I am beginning to like Muk Ex as a solo deck because of its speed and that it slows down many other decks. Which Murkrow are you playing, SS? I understand that you want to play Darkness to get rid of weakness to Psychic, but I dont Absol is the card you want X\ At most it does is 40 without darkness, which isn't very good. You may want to try Sneasel Ex. So here is a list of what I would play..

4 Grimer
4 Muk ex
2 Sneasel Ex
2 murkrow

3 Oak's Research
3 shaman
4 birch
2 fan club
1 TV
4 Oran Berry
3 Fast Ball
2 Oracle
2 Low Pressure System

13 Grass
4 dark
1 multi

I guess you could say I sort of play a Muk Ex deck, i play it with Shedinja/Victreebel. It has some problems with Aggron Ex, and I have Shedinja, so I think you may have more troubles with Aggron Ex. Anyway I really like the deck, very nice job on it.

~Colin

b/c ur opponent would draw all htey're prizes if they knocked them out. Not that I agree with that logic, but that's the reason...
O and BTW the deck I posted, Poisonous Roses isn't weak to Psychic...
-Swampert

swanton1717
Thanx for the reply. I am using the SS murkrow. You are correct, agron is tough. I may run more multi and less dark and drop the 2 zangoose for 2 entei. I am also considering using muk ex / houndoom or muk ex / eevee(umbreon/espy/flareon) but this would be a major tear up

Swampert,
you are correct, your deck is less weak to psychic. My point is this, in testing in tournies, muk ex gets owned by psy.

Venusaur
I like a gaurenteed 4 cards and the ability to screw with my opponents oracle, or whynaut attack. Shaman are anti most every deck in this format. I find that with birch or copy cat, I have had times that I just could not use them and I needed cards. Sure I could bill's maintainance or tv reporter but I am also a big fan of shaman with murkrow. And btw, getting 9 nrg to kill crow (and 10 for absol) in play with shaman and muk has been at times difficult in my muk ex matches with gardy. I am actually having a tougher time with techy psychic like grumpig and espy.

Here's my eevee version. It's basically an anti power beat down.
Pokemon: 18
4 Grimer
4 Muk ex
1 absol
3 eevee - ss
3 umbreon sky -Dark Gaze stops benched poke powers
1 espeon SS
2 meditite - amphy tech
Trainers: 24
4 Oak's Research
4 shaman
2 birch
2 fan club
1 TV
4 potion - I may switch all of these for nrg removal 2's for total nrg shut down
2 switch-amphy tech
3 masterball
2 Low Pressure System

11 Grass
4 dark
3 multi

I like roselia too :) but I only play it in dark dex with grass heavy energy (like yours) powering up a zangoose in 1 turn rox!

Muk ex is a good card, it's in my sky haunter/gangar/hypno deck, but I only rate it as a tech card. You can power it up a notch using ariados slimy goo (I think) gives you the extra 10 for slimy water. This card totally shuts down chicken and kitty, and slows building of god eh? I also use aerodactyl ex to slow healing and knock off other tools

3 gastly
2 haunter (nightmare)
2 gengar (chaos move)
2 drowzee
2 hypno (sleep pendulum)
3 grimer
2 muk-ex
1 Aerodactyl-ex (want 2)
(17)

4 elms training
3 switch
2 mysterious fossil
4 claw fossil
3 potion/Mr briney and let muk ex die/ hide for chaos move later
2 Town vol.
3 PFC
4 professor oak's research
(25)

4 grass
4 rainbow
10 psychic
(18)

Alternatively I play no hypno, a 3-3-3 gangar and throw in a coupla mew (exp) for killing those God's on the bench.

Last edited:
After playing the deck again at the shack, I really like umbreon/muk ex combo. Here is where I am now.

Power Trap

Pokemon: 18
4 Grimer
4 Muk ex
2 absol
4 eevee - ss
4 umbreon sky -Dark Gaze stops benched poke powers

Trainers: 24
4 Oak's Research
4 shaman
2 birch
2 fan club
1 TV
3 potion
2 oran berry
2 pokenav
2 masterball
2 Low Pressure System

11 Grass
4 dark
3 multi

Last edited:
Flipping Treko and Pokekid
You are missing the point of the deck. It is an anti power deck that shuts down
Blaziken
Septile
Gardivour
XatuTop or Zatu Wailord
Amphys power
Shedinja
Delcatty!
Gengar
Victorybell
etc...

Much of this format is power based. This deck is designed to shut them down. Why 4 muk ex? Odds! I want the best chance to have powers shut off by turn two. That's why I am now playing 4/4 on both muk ex and umbreon. I kept thhe absols for instance when I am behind which often happens when you loose a muk ex. Plus the resistance to psy of both umbreon and absol allowed me to beat 2/3 psy decks I played this week. And veasaur, I like sitting back and relaxing while my opponent trys to figure a way out of my power trap. Oh, and by the way, that is the decks name. Power Trap!

Last edited:
Venasaur
I get what you were saying, I was jumping in on your take! It was quite funny. And yes, I loose 6 prizes occasionally but not because I play 4 muk ex. BTW, with the 6 dark pokes, this deck does ok against gardy. The resistance of the dark with healing, low nrg attacks, and both muk ex and umbreon stop gardy players from double attaching (unless gardy is active against umbreon) and the shamans are for messing with whynauts and oracle. Definitiely teched to beat gardy but not a 100% thing. Certainly if you keep grady active to double attach the only way to stop that is and active muk ex which usually results inn 2 free prizes for my opponent. That's why I like umbreon. The biggest problem for this deck has been amphy. So far with all the different Muk Ex versions accounted for I am 2-3 vs amphy.

Last edited:
With 4-4 Umbreon do you really need 2 Absol? Maybe 2 Dunsparce or Wobby. I haven't played Absol however so I haven't seen what it can do in the format. Also if your still worried about Gardy (its the only weakness you've really mentioned besides Amphy) Espeon SS can be a good counter though it really needs Boost to be affective so maybe thats too much a burden. Or a small help against amphy would be Wobuffet. Your already playing Multis and when its active Muk won't shut it off. The other popular deck I don't see it beating would be Aggron unless you stop it dead by stopping Furret. Good luck with this.

Hey PT
I like absol for the following reasons.
1) He's dark-resistant to psy
2) His attack increases by 20 if you are behind which happens with this deck when you put a second turn muk ex out to stop powers early in the game
3) Highest HP dark non ex basic (70hp)
4) low nrg attack
5) The card looks cool!
Yes, agron is a problem if they get nrg. I can however, consistantly stop bench powers by turn 2 with this deck. I am still considering the er2's for that reason. I use to play wobby but the aggron players here play switch and with a 3 nrg attack and no means to double attach nrg I decided to shoot for as many 2 nrg attackers as possible

Last edited:
Hey I really like this deck. I think you need Dunsparce in it though, and DEFINATELY Meditite, since you say you have trouble against Aggron. Just get 60 damage on it and bye bye. And I think you need a little work with your trainers, but just keep testing to see what works. I may even play a variation of this I like it so much. :D

plaidlesspez
Thanks. It's a different kind of deck but good luck with it. I liked the meditite idea but it did not work very well in my list. If I were to play it again, I would drop one grass and add one fighting nrg. I have tried 4 multi's but muk needs 2 grass and it seemed like I often times had a grass and a multi on muk and a only a multi in my hand! Not good. If it were a fighting, I would be OK. I still like 3 multi's in this deck. As far as trainers my list is set to get a 2nd turn power stopper active and keep one active the entire game unless I am way behind. It is a big deal with this deck. I guess I could go to 3 oracle/3 nav and drop the shaman but I like to mess with my opponents hand after they use oracles, eevvee, whynaut, etc.. You could play sparse but if you start with it it cost you a turn of attaching nrg to your main attacker (muk, umbreon, or absol) which hurts. In this deck I have found you need a fully powered power stopper as early as possible.

Flipping Treko and Pokekid
You are missing the point of the deck. It is an anti power deck that shuts down
Blaziken
Septile
Gardivour
XatuTop or Zatu Wailord
Amphys power
Shedinja
Delcatty!
Gengar
Victorybell
etc...

OK, I hope you dont think Muk EX's Power/Body whatever stops Gnegars Power. As far as I know, come into play powers still work even with Muk EX out. Unless it has changed, if so LMK....

Spectron,
I was refering to the exp chaos move/hide in the shadows gengar which believe it or not is now again playable. Yes, muk ex does not stop come into play powers. My last list has problems with amphy ex and flygon. If I add a goose or two Ican beat flygon but it slows the power stopping down some. Another deck that has beaten me is the bite back deck. I am not sure if it is a bad match up or if I had a few bad games.

Last edited:
I would think Shaman would be giving you plenty of help against Flygon. Or you could try Crystal Shard if your that worried. I see more people playing to combat Rayquaza ex. I can't really see much to help against Amphy besides the Meditite already mentioned. Or maybe Sudowoodo. You have Multi.

Pidgeotto Trainer
I guess I am to the point where I'll except a loss to amphy in order to stop powers. I don't always loose but I have lost the last 3 to amphy/psy. While shaman helps against Flygon, it's not enough. Flygon does not rely on powers, has a higher HP, and is not and ex! It kills this deck if played correctly. If I add 2 zangoose I have a chance to win. But it comes down to metagaming to a best guess on what will be played. I expect to see more powers than flygon. But how much amphy will be played is the real question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back