Multi-Energy and Rayquaza EX

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by DarkTyranitar, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkTyranitar

DarkTyranitar New Member

I have a question pertaining to Multi Energy cards when used with Rayquaza EX.

This came up during this past Sunday's Exton/Pa State tournament. Although I seem to remember something like this being discussed here in the past, I can't seem to find it's thread nor can I find its reference in the Compendium so I figured I'd pose the question.

Here's the deal: 4 or 5 Fire energies were on an active Rayquaza, along with one Multi-Energy.

Multi Energy's description reads:
    "Attach Multi Energy to 1 of your Pokémon. While in play, Multi Energy provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card when not in play.) Multi Energy provides Energy when attached to a Pokémon that already has Special Energy cards attached to it."

Rayquaza's Dragon Burst attack reads:
    "Dragon Burst 40x
    Discard either all Fire Energy or all Lightning Energy attached to Rayquaza ex. This attack does 40 damage times the amount of Fire or Lightning Energy discarded. "

Now, what ended up happening was the multi-energy was counted as both Electric energy (fulfulling the electric energy cost) along with being counted as an additional Fire Energy, (giving the user an additional 40 damage to dole out).

I'm thinking that it should not have been counted as both, since it states in the description "...but provides only 1 Energy at a time.." and if anything should have only been counted as the Electric Energy in the attack, (which enabled Rayquaza to attack).

Ultimately, the judges ruled that it could be counted as both and Electric and Fire Energy, (which it also states in the description) so the additional 40 damage was allowed.

What's the correct ruling on this????

Thanks!

- Tony

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Sorry, the Judges were right!
    Pokemon Rulings per the Compendium (http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium.shtml):

Q. If I have a Rayquaza-EX Active with three Lighting energy and a Rainbow Energy and used Dragon Burst, would I have to discard the Rainbow Energy along with the Lighting energy? Would the same apply with a Multi Energy?
    A. Yes, Rainbow Energy counts as all types, so it would have to be discarded along with the rest of the Lightning Energy (if that's the type you choose to discard). Same goes for Multi Energy as long as no other special energy cards are attached at the time of attack. This is a REVERSAL of what was stated in the EX-Dragon prerelease FAQ. (Feb 12, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.