My connection sucks

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Orange Soda, Feb 10, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

Long time, no see!

Basically, I left for Christmas break, and when I came back, I discovered something wrong with my internet connection, where after a few minutes of net-surfing, I'd get nothing but "Page cannot be found" errors. For a while, I thought this was something on my end, but was a bit reluctant to fix it due to being preoccupied with classes and stuff I got for Christmas.

Then just the other day I learned that I'm not the only one having this problem. Turns out it's something wrong with whoever it is that provides high-speed internet for the area.

Now, last week I discovered that if I leave the computer on long enough (a couple hours or so, and only tested with a browser window open with a non-error page), my internet will work fine for most of the rest of the day if I leave it on.

However, I'd rather not have to do that. It's wasteful of electricity, and probably is slowly wearing down my computer parts. If anyone a bit more hardware savvy can give me some tips on how to better get around the problem until the provider fixes itself, I'd appreciate it, though I doubt there's much I can do.

2. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

unless your computer is less than abotu 6 months old, there won't be much wear in the parts of your computer if you put it into "sleep" or "stand by" mode, which is technically "on" but many of the less necessary parts of the compter (such as the hard drive) are turned off. It also saves energy vs leaving the computer on the entire time.