Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Last Compendium EX Update

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
The Rulings Compendium is a service, hobby, passion & obsession. And man, Team Compendium has been hanging with it for a while! Check this out:

"[FONT=&quot]Beginning around February 2000, Wizards of the Coast began to hold weekly chats in which players could ask any ruling question."
-- Compendium History

Did you know, we still have 3 of the founding members of Team Compendium? They took over the Compendium database from Koriboros when he moved on just a few months after the Chats began: Big Daddy Snorlax, Chrisbo & PokePop. Wow guys, 8 years this February... you ROCK!

The current Compendium EX succeeded the original WotC Compendium in late summer 2003. The EX version is about 4 and 1/2 years old!

I took over the updating of the Compendium EX from its original web author, IPGeek21, in Summer 2004. If you look inside the code, you'll still see his mark. There have been a few changes to make it easier to update and keep consistent style -- editing a single HTML document with 13,673 lines at 616 Kilobytes is a bit like 'tipping' a Piloswine, you need some judo -- but by and large its still the same document I inherited in 2004.

The info is solid, and as accessible as Chrisbo and the guys can arrange it. Still, I'm really amazed at the fact that no one has ever called me on our 'signature' typos or completely out of date hyperlinks. If you're thinking now might be a good time to stow some comments about that kinda stuff for the EX, you're too late!

Eight years after the chats started we've arrived at the end of another era... the last update has been made to the Compendium EX. The document will be there for your reference, just like the original, for as long as there is a Pokemon TCG Rules Compendium, but the Compendium LVX is coming later this month. There are a host of additional features in the new document and a whole new Compendium site coming. Please stand by!

I think this is a good time to take a moment to say thanks to the Pokemon USA folks. When the Compendium EX was started, the TCG was on the ropes. Collecting was down and Organized Play was out. Our beloved and sometimes whacky POP folks, Dave, Mike, Pete, Susan, and all the rest at Pokemon USA, rescued a signature product of a fine brand. We in TC are grateful to have a wonderful game and enjoy doing our part with our work on the Compendium. Special thanks to Master Trainer Jimmer, who not only puts up with his dogged Rules Team members, but enjoys us and the meetings. Are you nust, man?!

There is more to come, but for now the Rules Team has prepared a solid final update with rulings on Flash Cannon (you thought we forgot), a few of the Bring Down questions, the recent Errata for Electrode & Bannette, Dark Genes vs. Downer Material, Shocking Tail vs. Waterlog and Dice vs. Rock, Paper, Scissors -- plus more.

Thanks to each of our readers for your support of the Compendium.

Enjoy[FONT=&quot],
[/FONT]

Kim, for Chris, Mike, Rich & Tymon -- Team Compendium EX - Feb 2008
[/FONT]

You guys do a great job and I'm sure I speak for everyone in the pokemon community to Thank you and that we appreciate your hard work.

Whew, I thought this was a retirement thread at first!

Keep up all the great work you guys do. I'm positive the OP would be nowhere near where it is today without YOU guys.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your hard word. The Compendium is invaluable to players and judges. Good luck with the future.

Thank you so much for all the efforts you've put up. I highly appreciate it, and I look forward to Compendium X.

Whew, I thought this was a retirement thread at first!

Not ready for that, but I could do so now, and not leave the team in the lurch... more news on the features that make that possible after Compendium LVX is released, mid month.

I just thought I'd mention while I am replying to Red5bv06's comment, that there is a new poll up on the Compendium Site, and it would be really great to get any responses or comments you folks would like to provide.

Wow, I don't know what to say, and i'm NEVER at a loss for words!

Guys ..... (with a tear in his eyes ...) Thanks.

This is the most elite set of resources any TO has at his fingertips.

You all have done an elite job in not only dealing with keeping this updated, but also in dealing with people who have a tendency to get impatient from time to time.

Kudos....woot and chaw!

Thanks Kim and the rest of the team!

Vince

The Compendium level's up from EX!

Awesome! Woot!! Woot!!!

Can they make a card that does that too?

I think it just means it's the next major revision/rewrite of the document. The original was just the Compendium, the next revision was EX (named for the EX Pokemon), and this one is Lv. X, named after the new Pokemon Lv. X that are being created in the Diamond & Pearl sets.

The Compendium is a document (series of documents, I guess) where every single ruling made about cards for the Pokemon Trading Card Game has been collected and organized for player and judge reference.
We've been doing it for 8+ years now, so we're about to shift into our third document.
We hope this version is more user friendly. Bulbasnore has incorporated some new features and the document will be more responsive to changes over time.

Back