Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nats '11 (includes decklist)

Rambo1000

Just a little background information, I hadn't been to Nats since Origins '07. It was easily one of the most fun experiences of my life. After an extremely good rookie and sophomore season as a player, I took a 2 year long hiatus around the time SF came out. Gengar and Machamp basically ruined what was once a game based on skill, at least in my opinion.

I came back to the game this year for Regionals. I picked up the LuxChomp deck from a friend and went 4-4 after starting out 4-0. The format still seemed extremely "auto-pilot" and luck based. I had almost decided to just pick up playing again next season, until the mid-season rotation was announced. Immediately, Bobby and I made plans to go to Nationals.

Our plan was basically this: Wait until the LAST minute, scrounge up some money, make it to Indianapolis. The plan worked. Bobby's mom let us borrow her car since Bob and I's whips are... whipped.

Once we arrived, we hung out with Sabelhaus's, Dan, Kershner, Burnanating Torchic, and the rest of the AG/WinonTime crew. The night before Nats, BT and I decided to play Legends, which is essentially the best deck in the format. I had amazing hands and starts all night and was 100% confident in my deck choice. I could have chosen to play literally any deck, but Legends was my baby I had been working with since I started playing again, and it was probably my last chance to play it competitively.

Bob decides to play Chinkdra, and Kersh decides to play Combee.

Round 1 - Craig Abley - ZPS
I went first. Started with cleffa, eekd. Don't remember much except him telling me that Legend Box just never works as I hit a fully powered RDL, searched out an ERL, dropped a shaymin, and had both legends fully powered. I won this game 6-1.

1-0

Round 2 - Dude - Gengar
So the guy starts by telling me he just beat my friend Kershner the round before... I started zekrom, went 2nd, and drew passed all game. He ripped a pokemon t1 with mime jr and hit some verrrrry favorable flips, but what ya gonna do. He also got up a t3 Vileplume!!! In the end, I took 5 prizes with a lone zekrom, and he topdecked twins for Lost World the last turn of the game.

1-1

Round 3 - Rob Downs - Donphan/Serperior
I've heard of Rob and know he's top 4'd Nats and is a well respected player. My kind of game. I believe he went first. I remember him getting up 2 serperiors somewhat quickly, but I got out a Ho-Oh legend just as fast. With Indigo Plateau in play giving Ho Oh 170 hp, plus the fighting resistance, there's really nothing donphan can do to it. Didn't help that his only backup with fire weak. VERY enjoyable game from a very solid opponent. Looking forward to more in the future, Rob!

2-1

Round 4 - Dude - Donchamp
I started Shaymin, junk arm, junk arm, junk arm, fire energy, fire energy, flower shop girl, then topdecked a zekrom. i drew passed for 4 turns til i topdecked cleffa. he had a full field of donphan and machoke/champ. i sent out cleffa, seekered my shaymin, and eeked. i drew full ho oh legend, DCE, DCE, legend box, PONT. aka OMFG I JUST WON. EXCEPT, he seekered and ko'd cleffa with machoke.

2-2

Round 5 - Cheater - Cheating Deck
Basically the guy was playing Mew/Muk/Plume/Jank. At the beginning of the game, he pokegear'd and didn't show me what he got. Shuffled his hand, then goes "OH I GOT COPYCAT." Ok, i thought, it's cool, maybe he messed up. I also don't like calling judges unless it's 100% necessary. I am frantically playing my legend boxes knowing Plume is about to hit play. I hit a Ho-oh, but with only 1 energy. I am failing to get anything going, and he gets up a vileplume t3 or 4. I basically had to let my ho-oh die because I couldn't draw any energy to retreat!! Eventually, I play a Shaymin and take a prize, putting the game at 4-2 in his favor. Time is called. It's my turn 1. His field is 2 mew, plume, 2 HURT yanmegas, I had been preparing a move during his previous turn. I would Seeker my Shaymin, move my energy to my ERL, allowing it to be able to attack twice, while still leaving a DCE on both of my benched Zekrom's to be able to retreat if he Sludge Dragged, effectively giving me an out and probably the win, since he would be 3 shotting my ERL which has free retreat, and anything I have in play and ohko anything he has in play. Unfortunately, I forgot to discard my supporter from the turn before, and the kid IMMEDIATELY says I already played it, and that if he called a judge, it would be his word vs mine. I looked around, saw 3-4 of his friends watching our game READY to agree with this kids lie, and decided it wasn't even worth it. There was no way I could prove I hadn't played the PONT, since my hand had 6 cards in it as if i had just played it, and I DID leave it next to my active accidentally. Either way, the kid is a huge cheater and knows what he did. His name was Cory something, so if you're reading this, just know that you're a huge scumbag.

After this I just dropped and hung out with friends, which is the whole reason to go to Nats anyways.

Props:
Bertolli's Pizza
Beatin' It
the AboveGround/WinOnTime team
Legends
BT
j-wittz bustin a Rap for me
justin sanchez, a florida player, florida is the best, etc
Captain Morgan and Admiral Nelson. Thanks guys.
budew
shiftry
blaziken
fire energy
torchic
nuzleaf
EVERYONE I GOT TO SEE THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN IN FOREVER. LOVE ALL YOUZ GUYZ.

Slops:
Cory the Cheater from round 5.
my deck crapping out on me and BT :(
Indianapolis aka Methville

EDIT: FORGOT DECKLIST

Redshark 4.00 Deck List
Date: Mon Jul 18 18:02:10 2011

Name: LEGENDBOX
Comments:

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 20
Legend: 12
2 : Ho-Oh LEGEND (2/2), GS-112
2 : Entei & Raikou LEGEND (1/2), UL-90
2 : Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND (2/2), UD-90
2 : Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND (1/2), UD-89
2 : Entei & Raikou LEGEND (2/2), UL-91
2 : Ho-Oh LEGEND (1/2), GS-111
Basic: 8
1 : Tyrogue, CL-36
4 : Cleffa, Promo-112
2 : Zekrom, BW-114
1 : Shaymin, UL-8

TRAINERS: 24
Trainers: 13
4 : Pokemon Communication, BW-99
2 : Switch, BW-104
3 : Junk Arm, TM-87
4 : Legend Box, UD-75
Supporters: 9
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83
1 : Seeker, TM-88
4 : Copycat, CL-77
Stadiums: 2
2 : Indigo Plateau, TM-86

ENERGY: 16
Special Energy: 6
3 : Rainbow Energy, GS-104
3 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
Basic Energy: 10
4 : Lightning Energy, DP-126
6 : Fire Energy, BW-106

Only thing I would've changed is -1 cleffa -1 zekrom + 2 manaphy... also there was a Flower Shop Girl but I can't remember what I dropped for it..

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for saying this on this article but i still never received any of the cards in the trades we agreed upon although i've sent my part, if you dont have the cards i would like my cards back please. it's been almost 2 months already.

had to get my message to you anyway i can because you're inbox is full.

@coolcapworld i sent em bro

@blisseyrocks yea man i think i saw you once in the open play room?? amazing job winning though dude

Legends seriously didn't lose a game in testing, I hope you don't regret playing that at all. That cheater kid can go to hell.

Yeah man thanks. I really like your deck though! Not sure if you would have been able to fit it in, but 2-3 research record could have been cool to increase your chances of hitting an opening legend box?

I am not trying to offend you or anything. I highly respect you actually for playing LEGEND's at Nationals, since i would never have the guts to do that, but the kid was not cheating. You simply forgot something and that's all part of the game. I lost in top 4 once, cause i twice in a row had forgot to lay out price cards and my opponent got a win for our last match. Does that mean my oppoent cheated cause he forgot to mention i had no prizes? No, i simply made a stupid mistake forgetting something important. Still, props man.

Jellyberry, i realize my error, which is the main reason i didn't call a judge. The way the guy went about it was what let me know he was angle shooting to win, which in my book, is cheating. but thanks for the props man, try the deck out.

@jaeger it did, which is why i added the 2nd zekrom. going back, i would've played 2 manaphy instead of 1 of the cleffas and a zekrom for sure. Other than the game machoke killed cleffa, the 5 30hp basics didn't affect anything or lose me any games.

Last edited:
Jellyberry, i realize my error, which is the main reason i didn't call a judge. The way the guy went about it was what let me know he was angle shooting to win, which in my book, is cheating. but thanks for the props man, try the deck out.

I think you should have called a judge and forced him to lie to your (and the judge's face).

Granted, the judge would never know that the guy was a liar (and if he's lying about this, he's definitely cheating) but at least you would have forced him to just flat out be a cheating liar.

I think you should have called a judge and forced him to lie to your (and the judge's face).

Granted, the judge would never know that the guy was a liar (and if he's lying about this, he's definitely cheating) but at least you would have forced him to just flat out be a cheating liar.

You're probably right. I was so frustrated at that point that I kind of wanted the match to be over before I flipped the table or worse.

Just because his opponent was technically in the right doesn't mean that what he did WAS right, or in the SOTG for doing what he did. That wasn't even something harsh, like using a power and then asking for it to be taken back, it was just the case of a card being there that should've been discarded.

Could it be possible that he really believed you had played that supporter that turn (was distracted, etc)? Or worse, you did play it and forgot?

Yo dude good to see you round 2 man! I was hoping I would see you around again, but I missed ya. Definitely wanna chill sometime in the near future dude!

Zach,

Your match was one of my favorites. I love going to Nat's every year, I love it when people just play to have some fun, and sometimes with decks that are flippy, risky, but who cares. I definitely wasn't expecting to see Legend Toolbox, but that is the fun at Nats. I still remember we were having some much fun, I made about 3 misplays, one deserving of a game loss, but you were so cool.

Very sorry about the Round 4 junk. You don't go to Nats for games like this. Agree Gorn here, make the guy lie to the face to a judge. So when this guy tries it again, Judge will get the picture.

Rob

@Swordfish1989 the way the guy acted about the situation, and the fact that he said "my word against yours" let me know that he knew i played the supporter the previous turn. i was down 4-2 and with very little time on the clock, discarding my supporter slipped my mind. i know they're supposed to be immediately discarded now also, so i do recognize the fact that this is my fault. what i'm most upset with is the complete and utter lack of SOTG displayed. i would NEVER EVER pull something like that on someone... all i want out of a game is the most competitive, thought provoking, skill intensive match possible.

@Magnechu definitely good to see you again too bro! i'll be at nats next year for sure so we will definitely hang out

@Rob haha yeah man definitely one of the most fun games of pokemon i've played in years. it was awesome that you were as excited as i was when i finally hit the legend box hahaha

FYI Folks, let me just put this with you all. This will put in context his experience in Round 4.

In Rambo1000 round 3 game, I made a serious misplay of taking a prize after an attack that didn't KO anything. (Brain fart on my part that we caught a few moments after the attack) He would NOT let me call the judge to get the game corrected for my serious error (IE Game Loss or Prize penalty). He told me just to put the card back. I personally couldn't accept that either for such a misplay, and let him look at my hand and choose the card, (I honestly was in a haze about which card it was regardless, but he agreed to this, and toss my Juniper, which then I drew dead there after and my loss was cemented anyways.) We both know that this isn't the way the game is supposed to be played, but let's just put that part of his casual to a point issue.

Game Misplays are misplays, you can still have a fun game with the occassional misplay, CHEATING IS CHEATING, hard to enjoy the game when folks intentionally and forcefully CHEAT. RAMBO100 is on my fav 5 of people this year.

Last edited:
I hate cheaters.

I also hate people who tell you that you're cheating and are ignorant to actually learn the rules of certain cards.

Nice deck, did you have to power each card up manually?

Back