Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Need answer STAT!

P_A

I just picked up my shiny Gengar code. Went to Kiloude city pokemon center. Made sure I had only 5 in my party. Saved my game. Put in my code online and got the potential Gengar on my machine. Opened up the game and went to the NPC that gives the gifts. Got a Gengar - a crappy one with the wrong nature. However after resetting my game about 50 billion times (actually only about 25-30 times) I finally got the nature I wanted. However the stats given by the stats judge are only "good" stats, not "fantastic", or "can't be beat!"

Now for the question: Now that I have the "right" nature pokemon (even though I start out with only "good" stats), if I EV train it with hordes for the stats I want, can I still get a decent useable pokemon with fairly high stats, or should I keep trying to get both the nature AND THE IV STATS I want to start out with? Right now the best stat I have is for SP ATT, but it's nowhere near a 31 - in fact I'd be surprised if it was a 25. The Nature is modest. How will the mediocre starting stats affect my ending stats if I EV train properly from here?

I don't want to either save or reset my game until I get some advice, so it's on my charger running for now. Please let me know.

It really all depends. I believe at level 50 the "boost" you get from IVs is halved, or at least it takes 2 IVs in a stat to give you 1 point of "boost" (maybe that's just EVs, though). Nature is very important, but it all depends on what you want to live with. I have used Pokemon with less than perfect IVs before and yes, it does make a difference at times. Attacks do less damage, less capable of taking hits, slower, etc. If you want to have less than perfect IVs, that's fine, you can have whatever IVs you want. Just take that into consideration when EV training. Maybe you don't need all 252 EVs in Speed if you're never going to match the others, so outspeed the tier below you.

In short, it's up to you. Missing IVs can be noticeable, but they're rarely the end of the world if not perfect (although there will be several things like OHKOs, speed ties you'll miss). Personally, I'd go for a different Gengar, check any Timid ones along the way as well, but I'm also a bit more competitive than most people around the 'Gym.

Ok, thank you, that's good advice. And I suppose if none of the shiny Gengars are really all that great and I do end up settling on something, I could always just breed a competitive regular Gengar from the stock of high IV'd pokemon that I already have. Ok, thanks Pikamaster.

No problem at all. I've settled on less than perfect, as I said, and really just tailor the sets I run around that if it's the case. Glad I could help~

Back