Need PC help. Firewalls specifically, HELP

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Spectreon, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Ok, apparently on Apprentice you cant recieve a call unless your Firewall is down, or whatever, so I need to know

A) how do I find out what my firewall is (I havent a clue what it is caled)

B) how would I turn it off.. how bad is turning it off???

please help.....

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Two questions.
    What is your operating system?
    What kind of internet access do you have?
    What is the average air speed of a swallow?

...Three! Three questions!

3. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

3. 150 Kph

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  4. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

window XP
    and SBC DSL

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You can disable your firewall.
    I have to go to my other computer that has XP to make sure I get you proper directions... post later.

6. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

ty Pokepop

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

OK, here we go.
    I was told that you have to be online for this, but I don't know. I did it while I was online, so you can too.

Go to your Control Panel
    Select: Network and Internet Connections
    Select: My Network Places (it might be in a box on the left)
    In the Network Tasks box, select: Network Connections
    Right-click on your current connection's icon and select Properties
    Choose the Advanced Tab
    At the top, you should see a checkbox next to "Internet Connection Firewall"
    Unselect that.

I would suggest reactivating it after you're done, since you have a static IP.

8. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

hmmmm.... interestingly enough, everything worked but...... (theres always a but!).... The firewall wasnt selected to begin with..... so.... I may just have to deal... I think our neighbor may have added and used a differenet firewall.... I dont know that is weird....

Thanx anyways Pokepop.... I'll mess around with it again later, and see if I cant come up with something.... unless you meant select that instead of unselect it... which I doubt...

9. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

Are you running a router on your network? Or are you connecting straight from the DSL modem?

Also, are you running Norton Internet Tools or any other virus scanners and internet tools on your system?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  10. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

router, no clue...

DSL modem, yeah i am pretty sure

I have AVG virus scan....

11. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

What Firewall are you running? Do you have any items down in the system tray? Most firewalls will allow you to open up ports. You just have to know what ports to open. When you're done, close the ports.

Also, has anyone done a "network profile" on Apprentice to see what ports it uses? This could be a really big help for the rest of the community that does play online.

12. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

OK, apparantly I have a firewall called zone alarm pro... I turned it off, but it still wouldnt allow to connect App with another player.... there is a part in there wher I can add sites/IP addresses to be trusted.... If I add a players IP address, would it allow conncetion???

how would you do a "network profile" on App?