Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Need some advice, please...

SD PokeMom

Mod Supervisor
Staff member
I've just been informed that my league's host store is closing it's doors this Sunday...so tomorrow's league meeting is the last one.

Thank goodness my last shipment of league materials arrived today; at least I'll be able to give the kids the badges and promos they've earned this month.

My question is: I know there are some of you who are running league away from retail locations...community centers, libraries, etc. How are you ordering kits, must they be ordered through a cooperative store owner, or are you able to order them from POP yourself? How did you go about finding a location, and any suggestions for acceptable locations away from retail?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but right now I'd guess I'm in shock; I am NOT looking forward to telling the kids this tomorrow night, that's for sure...:(

Thanks in advance,
'mom

I got initial approval from my local Borders to run the League there, and they ordered the initial shipment. Then i requested that I, as gym leader, be given authority to order kits (since I run the whole thing anyway). POP did this for me when I emailed the League address; i do beleive there is now an option for the retail person to grant the authority to the "League Leader", which is what i am listed as on the site.

Good question. I love how the league is managed with PUI. I talked with my store, when the PUI league program started back in August, if it would be okay if I set up the account on the site and managed shipping and stuff like that (they where cool with it, since I got maybe 2 BattleZone kits ever from who ever ordered that). All you need to do is be the 18+ ("Store Owner") for the location and its cool. If PUI rejects your want-to-be league location, just email them back explaining the situation. :)

On another note, my store is killing instore gaming starting in may to help increase sales (I know, it makes no logic to me either...), luckally I wont have to reregister an entire new league, all that information is managed though the League Control Pannel, which should make it an easy change over on their server...

-marril

Giday

I haven't had a Retail outlet since this time last year.

I do have a friendly local toy shop owner that would've ordered the kits for me if it was needed, but i wasn't.

It's probably different over here in New Zealand as we deal direct with the Intl Distributor for us, but i believe the leagues can be run by professors (18+ in age) in a community location without retail backing.

*boy it's been a long time....* If you can get a library to host, you can enroll your League and putting your name as owner (that might not be that important). What is important is make sure you're the League Leader and put in your home address as the Shipping Address. That way your League can be located at the library but the supplies get shipped to your house. *been long time since i did that so i think that's right*

Hmm. Good to know. I'm possibly going to do the library shuffle myself. No store near is interested or has room. I do have another PokeParent who is interested in helping, so maybe we'll start up.

Good luck with the new location SDPokemom!

In the US, as long as you are a verifiable professor(which obviously isn't a problem with you, mom), you are allowed to run a league outside of a retail location as long as it is(as we all know) a public venue. But it is recommended that your chosen venue be a retail one if possible.

After deciding on a location, when you sign-up for a league, you will be asked to provide the location's information first. If applicable, you can provide them with the venue's owner/manager & contact info or if you prefer you can put your own info instead. Make sure that all of these info is accurate and exactly what you would like people to see because this will be the info that will be posted on the site's league list. As stated by others, you can freely edit this information later but this is what people will initially find on the site.

After that is completed, you will then be asked for the SHIPPING INFO if it is different from the venue. Now, you can put your own name and address in these fields if you are the one that's suppose to order/receive the kits. Of course, you will have to wait for the e-mail that will provide you with your league's ID and PASSWORD. After which, you now have a league and may order your own kits. Each month that you place an order, before your order is approved you will also be asked to verify the shipping address as well.

***FOR THOSE OF YOU NON-PROFESSORS WHO ARE GETTING ANY IDEAS ABOUT OBTAINING YOUR VERY OWN LEAGUE KIT ALL TO YOURSELF, MAKE A NOTE: PUI WILL ONLY APPROVE THE LOCATION IF IT IS SUBMITTED BY AN ACTUAL POKEMON PROFESSOR***

Please take into consideration that with the launch of the new site that some of these procedures might be a bit different now.

Khym

I use a local scout cabin. The kits are shipped via UPS so they are sent to my office.

As long as your in a public place it seems to be ok.

BTW we ask players a donation of a buck each week and give that as a donation.

I know someone else who lost a store and is moving to a Moose Lodge and will take donations to the Moose Kids Home.
So it works for them and local kids.

Theres an idea for you.

Well, I just got back from talking to the director of our local rec center, and they don't know what to do with us. :(

We're not 'official', with bylaws, etc. like a Scout group...and most importantly, we don't have our own liability insurance.

Those of you who are running league away from retail: how do you get by that requirement, or is it something you even have to deal with at all?

'mom

If it's not one thing, it's another.

It's funny that your rec center doesn't carry their own insurance. Back when I lived in Virginia, our rec center let our Scrabble group come in to play weekly games and tournaments. We didn't even need to prove that we all lived within the city/county. Maybe because we were all adults, it was okay.

Don't rec centers allow locals to walk in and use their facility? Plus, I'd think that most public rec centers are controlled by elected public officials. Get one of those guys on your side, and you'll probably get your way.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back