New deck I've been working over, something I've yet to see anywhere.

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Maverick Hunter Zero, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, if the enviroment is going to be Expedition (or Legendary Collection) onward, we pretty much know the shape most decks will follow, and what their goals will be (With a few rare variations of course). I (would like to) think that I've come up with something a bit new. Something that doesn't follow the usual formula of loading up a stage 2 with tons of energy, and beating down the opponent.

something...

Different: v1.0

Pokemon: 22
    4x Oddish (Expedition)
    2x Gloom (Expedition)
    3x Vileplume (Expedition)
    4x Ralts (Link Blast)
    4x Kirlia (Life Drain)
    3x Drowzee (Legendary Collection)
    2x Mewtwo EX

Trainers: 21
    3x Professor Elm
    3x Copycat
    2x Pokemon Fan Club
    4x Pokemon Breeder
    3x Full Heal
    2x Town Volunteers
    2x Switch
    2x Pokemon Nurse

Energy: 17
    3x Recycle Energy
    3x Warp Energy
    3x Grass Energy
    8x Psychic Energy

Massive flaws here and there, yes, but that's simply because the trainers are made up of what I haven't already used in another deck I'm taking to a tournament. ALTHOUGH, if I can get this deck good enough, I just might use IT to wreak havoc.

ANYWAY, the strategy isn't exactly hard, and can be potentially devestating. The idea being, poison using Vileplume's power, and life drain the opponent down the nothing. Gets past any sort of defense, gets past metal, etc. Mewtwo EX is just there for some muscle that I could possibly need, and the DROWZEE are there because I'm sick and need help. (I love drowzee I tell you.)

The only GAPING weaknesses are the 70 HP and the coin flip. But this would be an EXCELLENT way to take down those Big Pokemon they're worked so hard on. And with the low energy cost, Kirlia can be up and ready quickly, they're pretty much a-dime-a-dozen.

Suggestions for fixing (Including the obvious, Prof. Elm's Training Method) would be appreciated. Also, pointing out that I miscounted would be nice also. ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  2. Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer New Member

I like your strategy..... However if you use Sky Beedrill, it has a pokemon power that paralyzes and poisons the opponents pokemon.... Free retreat Beedrill and then try to use life drain..... IF you fail the first time, you may have a second attempt because they would be paralyzed..........

3. I considered that, but I eventually just figured it would be easier to play something that could be used several times without end. There are SEVERAL ways to stop Poison, so if the coin flip for Life Drain fails, that's it. And supporting Beedrill to the point where I can KEEP using requires that I focus less on everything else and more on it.

4. Ultramew

Ultramew New Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

MHZ, I was thinking the EXACT same strategy earlier today.. I was also considering using Sabrina's KAdabra + that Sabrina's card that lefts you re-flip. But still I was making it modified which sorta ruined that idea :-D

Good luck with the deck.

5. dkates

dkates New Member

I think you're overdoing it on the Breeders, but if you just drop 2 of them for something like Oracles, this deck really shouldn't need any other fixes.

6. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

I must compliment the way you centered Expedition Vileplume in this deck. The Life Drain combo can be very devastating to many decks.
    First of all, you have two types of energies Grass and Psychic which isn't a bad combination. I would suggest putting at least 2 or 3 Energy Searches in the deck to get those energies that you would need in certain times.
    Maybe a 1 or 2 Full Heal Energy could help out with Vileplume.

-1 Pokemon Breeder
    -1 Towns Volunteers
    +2 Energy Search
    -3 Recycle Energy
    +2 Full Heal Energy
    +1 Grass Energy

Other than that the deck looks great :thumb: .

7. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

It looks fun to play, but I don't know what the Vileplume does. I don't know about the Drowzee either, so info on that would be good as well. It looks interesting though...

8. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Evening Cap'n!

My daughter plays a Vileplume/Espeon deck, so here you go:

Vileplume, for a flip of head, has a poke-power that can poison the opponents active! No penalty for tails!

Drowzee, for flip of head, has a pokemon power that can sleep the opponents active. Penalty for tails is that your active is asleep.

9. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

...and if LC is out...

...unless Drowzee is in a future set...

Pokemon: 22 - 1 = 21
    4x Oddish (Expedition)
    [ -1 Oddish ]
    2x Gloom (Expedition)
    [ +1 Gloom ]
    3x Vileplume (Expedition)
    4x Ralts (Link Blast)
    [ -1 Ralts ]
    4x Kirlia (Life Drain)
    [ -1 Kirlia ]

[-
    3x Drowzee (Legendary Collection)
    2x Mewtwo EX
    ]

2x Eevee (Sandstorm, Signs of Evolution)
    2x Espeon (Aquapolis, Energy Return)
    2x Mawile? (Sandstorm)

The Eevee's attach fetches the Espeon. The Espeon's power can send as many energy cards to your hand, but if there is a lot of damage on the defending, it can be a big hitter, too.

Mawile's metal hook attack let's him pull a PKMN off the bench and do 20 for CM. If they don't retreat it, poison next turn.

Trainers: 21
    3x Professor Elm
    [+1 Professor Elm ]

3x Copycat
    [+1 Copycat]
    2x Pokemon Fan Club
    [+2 PFC]
    [-
    4x Pokemon Breeder
    3x Full Heal
    ]
    2x Town Volunteers
    2x Switch
    2x Pokemon Nurse
    [+1 Nurse]

[+2 Oracle ]

This environment is way slower. Breeder is not needed and you can either cycle through your deck with cat/elm while thinning with PFC or wait out the Oracle. Without putting yourself to sleep with Long Distance Hypnosis, you can skip the full heal as the switch serves dual purpose if you attack with the Vileplume (backup for Warp).

Energy: 17
    3x Recycle Energy
    3x Warp Energy
    3x Grass Energy
    [-3 Grass]
    8x Psychic Energy
    [-1 Psychic ]
    [+4 Multi Energy]

Use the Espeon to recycle the warps and multis. The multis are for Mawile and Vileplume. If you opponent puts out a claw/root fossil, which can't be poisoned, they can stall like a stuffed snorlax; you can use Mawile to yank targets off the bench; do we have a ruling on whether this also discards the fossil?].

Yup, its a lot of PKMN, but it keeps your original combo (which is cool). Eevee/Expeon is not far-fetched to pull off, keeps your warps going, makes sure you always have the 1 or 2 energy you need and combos with Nurse, too.

1-Some PKMN, place energy. PFC for Eevee and oddish/ralts/mawile.
    2-Retreat some PKMN, place energy on Eevee, elm or cat, place oddish/gloom and signs.
    3-Espeon, cat or elm, vileplume. Energy to Mawile. Poison active if not fossil. Kirlia. Go.
    4-Retreat Espeon. Gloom 2. Mawile out; energy; metal hook.
    5-Poison. Vileplume2. Retreat Mawile. Kirlia, energy, Life Drain, KO.

Well, that's maybe too cumbersome but since I took an hour to write it I'll post it. It does highlight the fossil problem. If you get this far, your combos with return and Nurse will keep you going.

10. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

[bulbasnore: Just because you can't retreat Claw Fossil doesn't mean it can't be switched to the bench. After all it has to start from the bench.]

Kirilia's Life Drain works nicely with Claw Fossil.

Even if your opponent knocks out Claw Fossil they don't get a prize, and if they only had 10HP left......

Doesn't need much energy either with Kirilia only requireing 1 psychic: leaves lots of room for trainers!

If you want a fun deck in the current format then try Kirilia, Claw Fossil, Drowzee and Elekid! FlippyMon at its very finest LOL

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  11. Excellent NoPoke, I had NOT thought about comboing in Claw Fossil, even after reading it... I will have to try and work this in.

And now that I've stopped focusing on my Blaziken deck, I can work on this for a while. (That and I've access to more cards than before.)

I'll take all the suggestions into consideration, thank you! You've all been a big help.

12. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

I think it is a great strategy. Here is my ideas.

Title: Wait, I didn't even attack
    Class: 1 on 1, Using Expedition - EX: Sandstorm
    Pokemon: 21
    4 Oddish (Expedition)
    3 Gloom (Aquapolis)
    3 Vileplume (Expedition)
    4 Ralts (EX:R&S #67 Headbutt/Hypnoblast)
    3 Kirlia (EX:R&S #35 Dazzle Dance/Life Drain)
    2 Mewtwo EX (EX:R&S)
    2 Chancey (Aquapolis)
    Trainers: 20
    4 Professor Oak's Research (Expedition)
    3 Lanette's Net Search (EX:Sandstorm)
    3 Energy Search (EX:R&S)
    4 Pokeball (EX:R&S)
    4 Hyper Potion (Skyridge)
    2 Double Full Heal (EX: Sandstorm)
    Energy: 19
    10 Psychic Energy
    7 Grass Energy