Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

NEW LEAGUE - Black Lion Comics, Costa Mesa CA

Chrisbo

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all you SoCal locals, as you may or may not know the Westminster Mall WOTC store has closed up all of their leagues permanently (no Pokemon, no Yu-Gi-Oh, no Warhammer, not even any Magic The Gathering :eek: ). Nothing but puzzles & super soakers where once mighty battles were fought.

Anyway, we scouted around and have found a new home for Pokemon League:
  • PLACE = Black Lion Comics & Cards
  • ADDRESS = 1125 Victoria Unit #G, Costa Mesa, CA 92627
  • PHONE = 949-645-5959
  • TIME = Saturday afternoon, around 2:00pm until ????
Easiest way to find the place is to take the 405 Fwy (if needed) to Brookhurst and go South until you reach Hamilton (if you reach the beach then you've gone too far). Turn left (east), cross the Santa Ana River and head up the hill where Hamilton turns into Victoria. The store is at the top of the hill in the mini-mall on the right.

Here's a MapQuest link to it as well: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=1125+Victoria&city=Costa+Mesa&state=CA&zipcode=92627&homesubmit=Get+Map

Unfortunately, due to other commitments I will not be able to be there this Saturday until much later in the afternoon :(, so Mark DeLaTorre will be running the league in my absence. We will have the new Nintendo promos and will run it "tournament style" as long as we have enough people show up. Format will most likely be Modified (Expedition-on, but no LC) And since most of us were at the S.D. PreRelease last weekend, EX-Sandstorm cards WILL BE LEGAL in the tournament.

Hope to see you there,
- CHRISBO

I KNOW that place... I'll be there Saturday. How regularly can I show, I am not sure...

Yeah cattdreams told me you won't be there =(

I probably won't be able to go tomorrow or next week. Tomorrow my mom is going to a funeral, my dad is going surfing, and my brothers are with my cousins fishing, so I will be home all alone, all day. Next week, I have a Debate Club tournament for High School, so I definanately won't be able to go then.

But, I may be able to get my dad to take me tomorrow or have him drop me off or something like that, though there are no guarantees.

A quick note on the point system for earning promo's, it's actually 20 points for a win, 10 for a loss, promo cards at 100 point intervals. Points (although a lesser ammount) can be gained for pokemon gba battles as well. so bring your gameboy if you like.

Well, cattdreams, his daugher, his wife, Majin, Majin brothers, me, and my dad attended the league today. We had a lot of fun and cattreams' wife and I got enough points for a Torchic card.

Last edited:
eeeeeep... Costa Mesa... That's just a wee bit far for me. If start showing up at this thing, it won't be on a set basis. That's a real drive for me...

But I will attempt to show up a few times.

if you went to the westminster league, then this one isnt really too far away, maybe 10 min more south.

under the considderation that last time we played for about 4&1/2 hrs, there's lots of good playtime to be gotten in.

We were there until 6:30 and that was only because cattdreams' family and me and my dad were the only ones left. Imagine if a whole bunch of people came, then we could probably stay real late. After I left the store and went out to eat, then went to Target (they did have Sandstorm packs), we passed by the store again around 9 o clock and they were still open becuase the lights were on, the door was open, and we could see the man who was running the store throught the window talking to people.

Hey... good to see you found a new place to hold League at Chrisbo. All of us here at the Winnie's Sportcards League we're wondering what you were going to do now. Glad to see you we're able to keep the game alive in your area. (Now to update my iCal with the new info)

PS: Sandstorm Draft on Saturday, September 20. Hehehe... shamless plug :lol:

GreatFox said:
Oh great, now how am I going to get anyone to show up to my place? :rolleyes: / :D (just kidding)

Seriously though don't forget, if you aren't going to the Winnie's draft be there Saturday at 2pm. We need more of the old Westminster Mall crowd there (i.e. Jesse, Louis, William, and you others know who you are!!).

See ya,
- CHRISBO

Well, I was going to come again this Saturday because my debate tournament was cancelled, but now my mom is babysitting my two cousins all Saturday and my dad is going to Bible Camp with my uncle all weekend. Oh yeah, don't start the tournament for the jumbo Combusken without me because then I will be very mad. :) Wonder if anyone will win the Combusken promo this week...

EDIT: How many points do you need to get the Combusken promo? 200?

Last edited:
Combusken promo will be given out to the top players whenever we do our next tournament, they will also go out to various people at the end of the season (havnt decided on an exact critera for that yet, maybe most points, best newbie helper, best newbie bringer, strangest deck ???) first place at the end of the month tournament gets the big combusken.
as always, older promo's are available upon request (instead of winning newer ones) and you never know what the heck extra stuff we might throw in, Sometimes I just get prize happy and throw in extra stuffs!

So, how was the tournout today? Anything interesting happen? How long did you stay? Anyone win a Combusken? Give me all the details.

todays turnout had more of the regulars from westminster I only stayed till about 6 something but others stayed later. more people got torchics, noone got a combusken.

however, next week is wierd deck week. along with normal e-on free play, the person who brings in the wierdest deck(read WIERD, not lame, so a bunch of random lame 30 hp pokemon wont win it) will win a combusken, and possibly something else if I find something wierd enough to give away with it.
wierd decks can use cards from any set.

I still don't understand what you mean by weird. Do you mean like something crazy/unusual/why in the world would you play this deck. Also, are we going to play the decks?

cattdreams said:
however, next week is wierd deck week. along with normal e-on free play, the person who brings in the wierdest deck(read WIERD, not lame, so a bunch of random lame 30 hp pokemon wont win it) will win a combusken, and possibly something else if I find something wierd enough to give away with it.
wierd decks can use cards from any set.
I'm grinning ear to ear right now. So the "Weird" decks can be in the Unlimited Format?

I'm going to have such fun with this.

And WPM, I used to play a Slowking/Ho-oh/Drowzee/Snorlax deck, and it worked very well. I think that's the brand of weird that's being referenced.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't remember reading it can be in unlimited. *checks back* Oh, cool. I think I know what I am going to do now. Hehehehehehe. Fufufufufufufu. Hahahahahahaha. Snort Snort Snort Snort.

Actually, I am not even sure if I can go next week or not. Next week are elections for office, and I am running for vice pres and I think there is a meeting on Saturday for the ppl who win. If I can go, I hope my dad *slave* will take me.

ok, just bouncing this one off the wall but.... How would everyone feel about the end of the month tournament (2 weeks from now) to be 10 backs (5 cards per pack) of japanese e-card series (1-3), the price would be 15 bucks per player. I bring this up because it seems that the players we talked to want something interesting and new but didnt have any specific ideas. just kinda putting it out there... let me know what you guys think.

Back