Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New Mexico 3rd place States Report

PokeMontoya

Okay so here we are again states time I couldn’t go to my home state due to a death in the family sorry guys but some things are more important. So it’s the following week and we drive a short 6 hours to New Mexico. Smaller tourney but good turn out I played Banette/Claydol/and friends with some last minute tweaks I was as ready as I could be. Here we go Sorry I don’t remember any of the names cept the CO players and the eventual winner.

Rd1 Banette and friends vs. Banette/Duskinoir

Ok so kind of a mirror match but not really I start with Solrock and go first so basically draw pass. He goes and starts with duskull uses the reaper cloth for Clops and attach pass.
I play mentor for minun shuppet and lunatone I know I have to keep my bench small or I could hosed by what some would consider a Random I get 2 bannys going and he’s not drawing what he needs the warp points finish it up.
1-0
Rd2 Huy (pronounced WE) Vo with Toge/Chomp

I go first and ascend I get the first 3 Ko’s before he gets a kiss up and the grace for 10 nets 1 so he passes I hit for 80 he still cant energy has a togetic on the bench and passes I ko kiss the tic for the game
2-0
Lunch Break PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!! Way you at way you at way you at now there you go there you go there you go LOL yah we brought stuff to eat it much cheaper than eating at BK or subway.

Rd3 Daniel Lozado with GG

This may actually be rd 4 but I played 3 GG back to back anyways you know the story Banny eats Gardy sorry Daniel
3-0
Rd 4 which may have been rd 3 but its GG and it’s a T2 Ghost head of Absol that’s it.
4-0
Rd 5 Paul Kingsly GG
So Paul and I have some history since we play at the same league and have met in quite a few tourneys and finals and I rode with him last year to nats. Ok so it should be the same story as the last 2 rounds but I suck at RPS and can’t draw or get a claydol to save my life Absol with a basic Dark tech eats me he wins like 4 prizes to 2 on time Darn 4-1

Rd 6 Vs Magmorter jynx delta

This guy is in 7th and needs to win to stay in I’m not sure about my tie breakers so I’m sure it’s best if I win. He’s playing the DP Mortor so I’m suddenly not so worried I set up quick and get going koing basics and then the 100 hp mortor with plus power strength then its run through basics and a warp for the last prize and game
5-1

I end up the top seed for top 8 and its one game match till top 4 I know I’m about to face a deck that is fully weak to Psy so I’m confident.

Top 8 he goes up 3 prizes and all of a sudden I’m worried since I haven’t got past top 8 for like 3 years (I suck at Poekemanz) I get 2 Bannys up and lock in Boundary he dead draws and I take the next 6.

Top4 four Richard Torres with APE
Ugg this was the only match-up I really didn’t want you all know why so it’s not worth mentioning. 1st game takes about 30 mins and I end up losing since he has plenty of counter stadiums and windstorms to take out my beaches. So I’m down a game and start to shuffle up for the 2nd game he starts to deconstruct his dick to pile shuffle it for what he thinks is the next round Whoops! I HOLLA at the judges and they explain to him it best of 3 not 1 game match and now he is considered to be stalling for time win so if I can get to game 3 and at least be tied on prizes I would be the winner so here’s game 2 I get a god had and go 1st and ascend. Next turn play mentor get luna shuppet and minun in case of the cape ape strike I have the charm in hand and Spiteful for 50 KO to chimchar. He sends up skitty and evolves to katty EX tries to attach DRE to it instead he attaches fire and passes. I draw the Banette discard with lunatone and have the Plus Power in hand for 90. T3 win the last game I get going fast but don not have a claydol I’m up 3 prizes with the ability to at least take one more while he’s throwing basics at me. He was dead drawing for so long I had the option to TGW but I played Bebe’s instead he draws and Ok enough of this and starts to set up I was playing really fast not sure how much time was left he’s quickly catching back up now and if the clock just runs soon enough I have the win and most likely the finals since both the other decks are GnG he gets just ahead 1 left to my 2 I draw and then time is called I cant warp for a ko or do anything else. I didn’t want a cheap win on time not playing the wager really hurt me also so did windstorm. 3rd place and 2 Pachi pulls from boosters and hit the road back pulled in to Colorado at 1am and hit the sack before the last ever Spring Forward. See you at Regionals!!

Props
Banette for being really good
Not seeing many magmortor deck (there were a lot there)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!!!
My Girlfriend almost top cutting with Wailord

Slops
DQ incident in Seniors
Players from everywhere else not letting me shuffle take a prize or do anything that is resolving at the end of my turn before starting their turns this was like every game
Hot tourney room
APE
Ryan not being able to come to any tourney (stupid smash Bros)

HOLLA

Gratz... I wanted to come down from CO but alas I couldn't... so I did Smash Bros... :lol:

Anyways good job! Nice to see my banette doing well still!

Nice report Adrian. Congrats to making Top 4 and taking home the 3rd place trophy!!

...Great to finally meet you! See you at Regionals!!

Nice report Adrian. Congrats to making Top 4 and taking home the 3rd place trophy!!

...Great to finally meet you! See you at Regionals!!

LOL we met 2 regionals ago I was head judge in 15+ when the tourny was last here in CO but it cooler to actually talk more this time I had fun

Blazi-King its in Colorado this year

Thanks Wayne

Patricia yeah time does go to fast anymore see ya at regionals

Welcome back Adrian. Good job in NM.

What happened to Paul?

Mike got 3rd at UT but obviously would've gotten 1st again had he not conceded to Ian in the semis. Ian had GG and so did the UT winner. Michael "ate" GG in the quarter-finals. Gotta love that Banette. I still think Michael's version is more consistant than the Claydol-tech.

Hot ties represent! Congrats buddy! I was surprised when I got home to find that my states trophy is actually bigger than my regionals trophy from last year. What's up with that? Anyways tell everyone I say hi. I'd come visit for regs if I still lived in Arizona, but it's just so far coming from KY... oh well, there's always nats.

GJ Adrian..

(btw, u might want to edit the part where u meant to write: "he starts deconstructing his deck"

yeah.. Bret would've took the tournament, (had Mike still scooped) but Bret got a automatic loss in Top Cut because he called over a judge (Simba) realizing he had accidentally set down 7 prizes.
very bad call on the judges part IMO.

Simba... good guy.... not a good judge lol..

I respect the fact that you didn't stall the guy for the win.

In Utah states, Mike pointed out that I could've stalled my opponent in the Finals match for the win, because I got so ahead on prizes in game 3.

I was aware of that, but I didn't wanna win in that stupid way that so many people do, and I played how I normally would.
he eventually earned the long game, because I ran out of so much steam, do to his absol crippling me early game, and getting the exact right pulls each time (except once)... and late game my key cards were all trashed.
if I had won a late game wager, there is a possibility I could've won, but I lost the wager and didn't pull an energy that i needed to attack his gardy.. so I passed, then he got a rare candy gallade on the bench, and it was over for me.

My opponent was awesome.. and he deserved the win in every bit.
good player, a very good sport...
and had he been in my shoes, I'm quite sure he would not have stalled me out for the win.

-ian b

Last edited:
Back