New Radiohead Album

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by ryanvergel, Oct 10, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. ryanvergel

ryanvergel New Member

Radiohead has always pushed the envelope. Their latest LP, titled Rainbows, was recently released.

The catch? It's a three-parter.

1. They opted NOT to sign with a major label for this project.
    2. They are making the LP download only, with an option to purchase a collector's box set instead.
    3. Radiohead is letting the FAN decide the price they want to pay for the album. The lowest is .01 pounds.

Is this the future of music? Will record labels be slowly unused and the internet completely take over the physical aspects of music? I'm sure we'll still have some records or cds printed, but this looks like the future to me.

Lack of label, internet distribution, no set price... I love it! I bought mine for .01pounds, and depending on the album will support them further.

What do you think about the radical new Radiohead release? What does it say about the future of music?

2. doctormcdreamy

doctormcdreamy New Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/16654550/radioheads_in_rainbows_trackbytrack_preview

ryan, after reading your post. i decided to google it some more. and found some youtube live flv videos of songs that are gonna be in the new record. so they're great to check out.

i love radiohead. i mean who doesnt right? i prolly listen to my ok computer cd more than any cd that i have. (and i have tons of beatles, dylan, springsteen records) i got em: kid a, the bends, etc. all in my cd shelf. and i like that. i like having the cd. holding it. looking at it. thumbing through the liner notes that i have read a bazillion times already while i listen to karma police.

yeah it is the future. but i'll take the cd over the mp3 anyday. i'm an audiophile. i dont know if anybody knows what that means. but i'm into sacds and dvd-a's. that means high-res music. so i'll take my radiohead vinyl collector box, thanks.

we're still gonna need record companies to pay mtv or clear channel radio to play their jams. but as per media consumption, i havent looked at the consumer stats. people could go to mp3's and maybe cd's will become obsolete.

with this online exclusive album, radiohead doing what it's doing is pretty revolutionary. especially for being a big name band. but then again they've always been ahead of their time.

so rock on. if this album is as good as their last, i'll buy it.

3. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

it's good to see major artists taking back their work from the RIAA labels and going directly to their fans instead via the 'net. face it: even with the .01 pound downloads, they're still getting more than if the album is p2p'd...and probably about as much as they'd get royalty-wise from a 'major label' physical release.

magnatune.com is an indie label which has always operated on the 'buyer decides what to pay' (between $5 - $18) method...with HALF going to the artist. compare that to the pennies per cd RIAA label artists get...=/

complete albums are available to preview as streams or downloadable 128kb mp3s; buyers have their choice of formats in which to download (44k/16bit .wav, .mp3, vbr mp3, .ogg, .flac, .aac) and can download .pdf files of album art/linernotes. NO DRM, ever; buyers are allowed to share 3 copies of any album they buy.

there's good stuff there; check out some of the podcasts.

'mom

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007