Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New style of umbreon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo

I know that this has been done before, but I wanted to try and take my own take on building one of these decks. I usually play more for fun, but when I don't then I'd play luxchomp. So anyway here goes:

Pokemon:

3 Umbreon UD
1 Umbreon MD
1 Espeon Prime
1 Espeon MD
4 Eevee MD
2 Uxie LA
1 Uxie LvX LA
1 Azelf LA
2 Mespritt LA
4 Sableye SF
1 Unown Q

Trainers:

3 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Broken Time Space
2 Expert Belt
4 Seeker
1 Twins
1 PONT
2 Bebe's Search

Energy:

4 Special Dark
4 Call
4 Basic Dark
2 Psychic

You may notice being very short on a lot of cards, that's why I need your help to help with the last few techs to include.
The basic idea of the deck is to lock your opponent into pretty much not being able to do anything, I know that Luxchomp practically destroys this by sniping the bench, but I thought trying it out would be a lot of fun, anyway, onto the cards and the reasons. I tried to keep the trainers low so that it doesn't have a harder time against vilegar, although it should be an easy matchup for you.

Umbreon UD:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=50600

Basically locks your opponent into not being able to attack umbreon, as long as they have a pokepower or pokebody. which is a lot of cards, oh and you do at least 30 damage.

Umbreon MD:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=34946

No weakness and free retreat = One very happy umbreon.

Espeon Prime:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=50672

Can do whatever Umbreon can, but with 10 more HP, and a different typing to take care of those nasty machamps.

Espeon MD:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=34945

Extra 20HP ontop of expert belt could never hurt on an almost untouchable umbreon.

Eevee MD:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=34909

Get as many Eevees as you want onto your bench, basically a pokemon collector for eevee!

Sableye:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=41059

Standard, supporters first turn and can even donk if it's in the mood for it.

Mespritt:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=35699

Opponent can't play pokemon powers, ouch, what can they do?

Others: Standard.

Now onto the tech cards, these are options I'm considering adding into the deck to make it that much more better and harder to beat.

Honchkrow SV:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=48176

It matches the decks type and can prevent your opponent from having a space on their bench, nice! Ontop of a nifty high damaging attack for 3 energies. Helps counter gyarados which can be another big problem. Unown Q can take care of its annoying retreat cost if necessary.

Cresselia & Darkrai Legend:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/assets/cms...lia_legend.png

Holy crap the card may actually be playable...or maybe not.
The idea of this card is to use moon invite, where I can switch damage around as much as I like, and as my opponent is most likely going to be switching around a lot to prevent KO, considering its hard for umbreon to OHKO cards, it may help kill your opponents main attacker. This would probably mean increasing psychic energy count for consistency and can be a dead card early in the game however.

Drifblim UD:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayim...?imageid=50602

Well, this card isn't really serious, as it's mainly a machamp counter and this deck has plenty for that (Uxie LvX, Espeon Prime) But it's second attack could come in handy against something that you can't kill for whatever reason, i.e. Scizor Prime.

There are other things, but these were the ones that caught my attention the most, I'm sure you'll comment on others.

Onto the matchups!

Now you may not agree with these but it's PURELY MY OWN EXPERIENCE. Ok? Good.

Luxchomp: 30-70
If that, Luxchomp exploits this deck by simply sniping the bench, the espeon MD gives this deck it's last fighting chance to possibly do anything before dying, but unfortunately you'll get outsped and swarming won't help you. It's just this decks worst match up, simple as.

Gyarados: 30-70

I know these two decks are the most dominant, but there will be some good news in the future.
Again, gyarados screws this deck over with having NO POKEPOWER/BODY. And a lot of HP, this may make me consider putting some crazy jolteon tech, but it's honestly not worth it, if you see a gyarados you might as well wish he starts with a magikarp. Luckily for me gyarados is losing popularity around me area very fast with all the luxchomp floating around, and in states, there was honestly not a single gyarados deck, so yay.

Vilegar: 75-25

I know you'll say whatever about this matchup, but this is just what happens. Umbreon comes out, you hit for a heck of a lot, opponent damages bench without KOing, you use Seeker. And they can't do anything. The only way you can lose is if they hit 6 fainting spells, WHICH ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME.

Lostgar: 70-30
Pretty much the same, except if they get some crazy amazing set up with gengar and you happen to have all of your eeveelutions in your hand, then meh. Otherwise same story as last vilegar, your opponent can't do anything.

Donpahn: 95-5

Lol, nuff said.
Donphan is their only attacker, and as long as they don't donk you or include machamp you're fine.

Machamp: 70-30

Depends on the variant honestly. If it's speedy machamp you may have problems considering that even if you evolve you're weak and they have no pokepower/bodies. May be an issue. If it's less speedy, then you should be able to get espeons set in place and maybe an Uxie LvX, which should deal with it fine. They'd also be likely to have machamp prime which means less risk from machamp which means happy days. Speedchamp is a problem honestly though.

Dialgachomp: 40-60

Eh..although they have the lvX, the normal dialga and the garchomp lvX screw you over. If you play sneakily enough you may be able to outplay them. It shouldn't even be this but that's my record against the deck. If it's 1 round then you may have a chance, if it's 3 and they're not retarded, then you will probably lose.

SP Toolbox: 70-30

People still play this? Whatever, you get a pretty much autowin as long as they don't play garchomp.

Regigigas: 90-10

Same thing as donphan, except this can use it's previous form regigigas to attack so it's a tiny bit more of a threat, can be annoying that he just sacrifices things that you've damaged, but ultimately no way to counter umbreons attack.

Thanks for checking out my deck, and feel free to leave feedback and any suggestions, peace.

I know you say the Luxchomp match up is very unfavourable but if you had an umbreon in the active with 2-4 special dark and an expert belt with no other pokemon in play, there is nothing a luxchomp player could do to kill the umbreon as long as it was using moonlit fang.

So I think the Luxchomp match up is better than you might think

I think the real problem this deck has though is a lack of damage output. You may want to add in a tyranitar prime line to fix that but then it isnt an eeveelution deck.

Last edited:
I know you say the Luxchomp match up is very unfavourable but if you had an umbreon in the active with 2-4 special dark and an expert belt with no other pokemon in play, there is nothing a luxchomp player could do to kill the umbreon as long as it was using moonlit fang.

So I think the Luxchomp match up is better than you might think

I think the real problem this deck has though is a lack of damage output. You may want to add in a tyranitar prime line to fix that but then it isnt an eeveelution deck.

Drifblim UD and luxray GL (non x) and garchomo c (non x) all say hi. As does dragonite FB and ambipom G and Crobat g to get you close. Trust me, my girlfriend used to run umbreon. Luxchomp has no problems taking one out.

Or if they run honchkrow SV they will restore a basic, bright look it, then dragon rush the umbreon, or seeker the umbreon, for game.

So really, that's just theorymon.

Honestly the only SP Toolbox i see anymore, that isn't dialgachomp/luxchomp is toxicroak/skuntank, I only put it in there because I had played against it.
Sablock I haven't actually played yet so I'm interested to see that, I think it would be pretty even except for the garchomp X being able to snipe the bench and honckrow being able to revive pokemon onto my bench.
That's where I got it from. Cabd is absolutely right, they do 30, 50 or even 70 damage to the umbreon, nothing you can do, and it's easy to power up.

I still need suggestions of what to put in.

Also, why does gigas have a high matchup? It should theoretically have less chance then donphan as it can't donk, and mespritt prevents it using any powers, I'm honestly interested in how that works.

As for damage output that's where i was thinking of cresselia darkrai legend, it switches damage around for a single psychic energy to put damage onto pokemon you want to KO, as they'd likely put something like crobat out to absorb a hit.

Another problem I've found is roserade GL, oddly enough, so I was considering putting in a warp energy or 2.

Last edited:
Gigas doesn't need to level up. it can drag off for cheap prizes, and use Poke Healer better. In addition it has Mesprits of its own to use.

Sablock will send this deck back to the Lost Zone and back if it gets set up properly...

It can send out one of my bench pokemon and do 30? How would that help.
My pokemon at most have 1 retreat cost, or the ability to return to the deck.
The worst it can do is send out mespritt which I can actually attack with, or retreat then use seeker...

The lostgar match I think is better IMO because umbreon only stops attacks that do something to it. Lostgar usually focuses on using Hurl into Darkness which does not do anything to umbreon.

i dont think you need the 4 call, simply because it is very likely that you will have either have eevee or sableye to start and they can either fill your bench with eevees or impersonate a collector.

Umbreon Prime can also be useful, for :dark::colorless::colorless: it will hit for a base damage of 50+10 for itself being an eeveelution. this can become 100 if you have 4 eeveelutions and are using a special dark. +20 from a belt and you can have something which can KO.

-1 Mesprit
-4 Call energy
-2 :psychic: energy
-1 Pokemon communication
-1 Seeker

+1 Umbreon Prime
+2 Double colourless energy
+3 Energy Exchanger
+1 Luxury ball
+1 Palmer's Contribution
+1 Pokemon rescue

Umbreon Prime honestly isn't that good, I'm sorry.
2 Psychic Energy is needed, especially since I'm including Darkrai/Cresselia Legend
Luxury Ball, I honestly missed, thank you.
Palmer's makes sense
Energy Exchanger, I just don't like, never liked it, always came as a dead card to me.
Pokemon Rescue, I suppose would help in some situations.

But you've gotten rid of 6 energies, and replaced them with 2 unusable energies.

I'd say drop an Eevee from MD and put in a single eevee from RR so you can quickly start getting your Umbreons/Espeon Prime into your hand to evolve your Eevees. That and possibly taking out a Sableye for a Smeargle to:
A. see what your opponent has
B. take advantage of any supporters your opponent may have in their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back