Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New to Pokemon

Ninety9lives

Hey Guys,
Im an ex Yugioh player from NZ, Im one of the top 30 players in the country, it got boring and now we are starting up Pokemon Leagues at our local HL.
I intend to dominate the Pokemon scene here like I did Yugioh, only problem being Ive found NO WHERE with up to date pokemon meta.
I was wondering if I could get some help on basic deck building and ratios for Pokemon.
Yugioh goes something like 20 monster 13 Spell 7 Trap.

How does Pokemon work?

In Pokemon, it's a bit more different, there are t2 decks and there are normal decks. T2 decks usually have 14 or less Pokemon, 30 or more Trainers and 14 or less Energy and normal decks uisually have 18-22 Pokemon (24 in some cases), 20+ trainers and 14-16 Energy. If you want to learn the rules , you should get a theme deck, it has a rule book, counters and a coin, but never follow the way their decks are made.

The balances in Pokemon are HIGHLY dependant on what type of deck you are playing.

Most decks play around 20 pokemon cards, others can play as many as 30, or as few as 8.

The majority of main strategies can be found here on the Pokegym. Pokemon -in comparison to Yugioh- allows for a lot more variability in deck build, depending on personal preferance and local metagame.

Right thanks for the Info, me and the boys are going out tomorrow to buy decks, is there anything thats a must have? Also is there a Banlist as such for pokemon?

Right thanks for the Info, me and the boys are going out tomorrow to buy decks, is there anything thats a must have? Also is there a Banlist as such for pokemon?

No such thing as a banlist for pokemon, all there is it set rotation, buy cards from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and up since that will be the new format.

Hey Guys,
Im an ex Yugioh player from NZ, Im one of the top 30 players in the country, it got boring and now we are starting up Pokemon Leagues at our local HL.
I intend to dominate the Pokemon scene here like I did Yugioh, only problem being Ive found NO WHERE with up to date pokemon meta.
I was wondering if I could get some help on basic deck building and ratios for Pokemon.

How does Pokemon work?

Daaang someone's cocky ;x

Here's a helpful hint: Play what everyone else is playing and you'll probably "dominate" the scene.

Pokemon Organized Play doesn't print "cookie cutter" decks. The decks in stores are very low level precons that don't necessarily have a top strategy to them, but the are useful in learning to play the game.

If you want a net deck, play Gardy-Gallade (GG/Pl0x) You can find those names everywhere here.

I don't think there are any good lightning/grass decks but Leafon lv.X/Magmortar is decent. Torterra/Sceptile is good too if you want grass.

Oh, and stay away from Kingdra.

sorry dude but if you are good at TCGs then you don't need to net deck, go look at the cards and build something original, if you are still that bad then sure play GG but after rotation u should prolly find a new deck and I doubt a newbie to the game can play GG/Plox so your better off finding a new deck. so stop asking for lists and ideas, if your so awesome, THINK

sorry dude but if you are good at TCGs then you don't need to net deck, go look at the cards and build something original, if you are still that bad then sure play GG but after rotation u should prolly find a new deck and I doubt a newbie to the game can play GG/Plox so your better off finding a new deck. so stop asking for lists and ideas, if your so awesome, THINK
Between work, family and still playing yugioh I really cbf'd :thumb:
Thanks to the ppl who gave me USEFUL advice.
Watch this space...

Hey Guys,

How does Pokemon work?

no offence, but after playin pokemon and yu'gi'oh, pokemon goes ALOT deeper.

it'll take a good year before you'll be up for 'dominating' anything seriously. specialy if you have to switch your thoughts of game mechanics

for a begginin deck, do someting on the lines of 20-20-20... though the enerhy and pokemon should be thinned through time so that you can stock trainers.

well thats fine if you don't have allot of time but that means you won't be any good at this game lol. Unlike Yugioh, you can't net deck in this game and then go win with it. You have know your deck backwards and forwards and play test it and tweek it which takes months. Thats how you win in this game, and Im just talking from my own experiences and others that I know.

unlike yugioh it isnt about the cards, its about how you play what you have. ugioh and pokemon are that distinct difference; how you play compared to how much money you have to spend

If you want a halfway decent Grass/Electric deck, try Leafeon Lvl. X/Electivire Lvl. X. The actual list will be up to you.

- Croatian "thinking outside the (deck) box" Nidoking

A grass deck which can be made with the new legends Awakened deck is vileplume and bellossom. And try to get 2 Claydol from the set Great Encounters because almost every deck needs that card.

I suggest trying to find a legends awaken pre-release somewhere near you and attend to it.

Pre-releases are fun to play and you can get some decent new cards for less $$$. You can also learn some basics of deck building and playing.

Back