Non-Holofoil EX cards from Ruby/Sapphire?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by UncleBob, Aug 28, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Okay, Nintendo occasionally releases a promotional catalogue advertising their new and upcoming products... Their Summer 2003 guide has a two-page plug on the R/S series... and page 17 shows the Sneasel ex card from the series - clearly not a holo-foil card (as it has a dot code on it...)

Has *anyone* seen/heard of non-holo-foil ex cards before?

2. pikapikapikachu2

pikapikapikachu2 New Member

yes, what about the ones they released in scrye? groudon and kyogre. Numbered 1 and 2

3. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

I've not heard of non-holo EX cards other than Groudon and Kyogre (from Scrye). But, I have heard that holo versions of Groudon and Kyogre were given out at Gen-Con.

4. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

I'm guessing that that add copy was produced before the set was actually released, possibly using card mock-ups made for that purpose. A mockup would probably not be holo, and might be produced on a dot coded template.

Just a thought.

5. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Probably just a mock up, but I wanted to make sure. :)

So Groudon and Kyogre were released in another Magazine besides Nintendo Power?

6. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

Yes, non-holo versions were also inserted in Scrye and Inquest magazines (which is where one had to go to get mint copies :(). They were inserted singly, though, as opposed to NP which had both in one issue.

7. Squirtle007

Squirtle007 New Member

A Preview Sneasel EX's (which also had the wrong text) image was released a few months back. It had a non holo border if i remember correctly.

8. Noah121

Noah121 Active Member

Yep, the "Sneasel EX" that was shown in that pamphlet was absolutely incorrect. Here are the errors. Good thing it was only a prototype!

"Sneasel EX" 80 HP (D)
    Basic Pokémon
    (standard EX Rule)
    (D) Double Scratch (10)
    (D)(D)(C) Beat Up (20x) Flip 3 coins. This attack does 20 damage times the number of heads.
    W: (F)
    R: (P)-30
    RC: (C)

Obviously, this was a prototype.

9. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Ah... well then, thanks for the info. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.