Old Generation Player interested in the changes in the game

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Pokemon Trainer Mikko, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I haven't played the TCG, since I was a youngun and I was wondering what has changed since the WotC days. I checked out as much info as I could online, to try to re-educate myself. Though I have quite a few burning questions. Okay, mostly out of curiousity, I was wondering if sets from the pre-Nintendo days were still legally playable. I doubt they are nearly as competitive as some of the newer sets, but it's more of a sentimentality kind of thing.

Personally to me, I have the most fun when I connect to something. Examples of such would be my interest in seeing if I could play Misty and Brock themed decks from cards back in the Gym Heroes set. One of my other interests was playing a Team Rocket deck, composed of a mix of the various two Team Rocket sets. I have a strong emotional attachment to Jessie, James, Meowth, Wobbufett, Misty, and Brock. So, I was wondering should I get access to older cards are they still legal for play? Or were the pre-Nintendo sets banned from being used with their updated cards?

Like I said, I totally understand the fact that those cards are likely not as competitive as new ones. If I was to even get back into the game a tiny bit, it would just be for casual fun. I'm kind of interested in getting back into the swings of things casually, or perhaps as a mentor type role. I honestly love working with children, and spent a lot of time volunteering at my local library. However, my local Eastern shore area doesn't have Pokemon Leagues at all.

So, starting one up sounds like a fun idea to me but I would need to do some intense re-educating of myself to refamiliarize myself to the material. I attempted the Prof Test the other day, only to get 15 right ^_^; Of course, I hadn't really studied the materials or refreshed myself before taking the test.

2. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Older sets are playable in 'unlimited' tournaments and in free play.

3. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

I dont think you'll be interested in this game if you come back right now.

Now it's either play GG/magmortar or lose. Other decks doesnt really have a good matchup with both the top 2 decks (i consider the gardy lock as GG too).

4. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

I don't thing this person is looking to take things seriously like that, more of just league play, where you see tons of decks that aren't GG or Mag. So that really shouldn't be an issue.

And Pokemon Trainer Mikko, if all you want to do is play casually, you don't need to worry about buying a bunch of new stuff. Back when I didn't really know what I was doing, I had so much fun even playing a deck of half old and half new cards. As long as there are people willing to play you, kids don't usually care, then unlimited isn't a problem. And the good news is that you like kids, so....

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Jeez. Why try to push someone out of the game because of a temporary problem that you see that won't last past the next set release?

Honestly!

6. Freddy K.

Freddy K. New Member

*sigh* :nonono:

- fK

7. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

Yeah because everybody that plays Pokemon wants to be competitive... :rolleyes:

The only reason you would need to buy new cards is if you did want to go to tournaments.

If you can find a location for a league and find a way to keep people coming back, by all means, start up a league!