Old Ruling, New Perspective: Swift vs. "Prevent all effects of attacks"

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by SpinDashMaster, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SpinDashMaster

SpinDashMaster New Member

First, allow me to state the disclaimer: I've already spammed ctrl+F all over Compendium, and I do know what the rulings state, regarding this specific issue. However, the basis behind it is a little hazy, and I'd like to get a little clarification, if possible, from some of the top-notch experts here. Perhaps it may be a new starting point for research and discussion.

I'm not sure if this might have been overlooked, but many players and experts have jumped to conclusions and rendered Swift "unblockable" simply because it says "This attack's damage isn't prevented by . . . effects of attacks on the Defending Pokemon."

But, wait. Take a second to look at the scenario. Isn't the text that says to make the damage "unblockable" an effect of the attack itself? What is preventing that effect of the attack from being prevented by things like the effects of "Fly?"

The underlying issue could be this: Isn't Swift's text also an effect? If not, what is it, just "attack text" of some sort? If not, how does it classify?

Thank you for taking consideration into this.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Luckily we don't have to figure deep game metarules out on our own.
    We get direction and directives from the makers of the game, Pokemon Card Labs of Game Freak in Japan, as passed on to the Rules Team from our Pokemon USA R&D member.

This is one of those cases, where we have been told that the only way to stop damage from an attack like Swift is if the attack gets stopped before it is done. Things that lower or block or ignore damage mean nothing to it.

We do appreciate the potential conundrum many game situations can cause, which is why we started the Compendium in the first place.

:thumb: