Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Omastar SW vs LV X leveled up from stage 2 pokemon.

Professor Sycamore

Omastar 110HP:water:
Stage 2

:ppowr: Primal Swirl

Once during your turn, when you play Omastar from your hand to evolve 1 of your pokemon, you may remove the highest Stage Evolvution from each of your opponent's benched pokemon and put those cards in his/her hand. You can only use 1 Primal Swirl each turn.

This question came up today in one of my battle road matches. What happens to a LV. X of a Stage 2 when Omastar is played (assuming that the LV. X Pokemon is benched)? Does it go to the Stage 1(or basic if rare candy was used) or to the Stage 2 that it leveled up from? The judge ruled that it went to the stage 1.

Once played, a LvX card connects to the card it levels up. It takes on the same stage and has the attacks and/or powers of that card. They are fused, so if it is devolved or discarded, both the LvX and the card it leveled up go together. In your example the judge ruled correctly.

BDS

You phrased your scenario badly, so BDS got confused in what he answered. (now deleted)

The Level X goes along with the Stage that is going into your hand.
They are treated as one.

So if you have an Empoleon Level X in play, the Empoleon Stage 2 and Level Up card both go into your hand.

If the judge said that Emp LvX stayed attached to Prinplup, that was wrong.

Also note that a Level X on a Basic is not affected by Primal Swirl.

For example, a Darkrai LvX is not removed.

Well, the first part of my response was correct:
Once played, a LvX card connects to the card it levels up. It takes on the same stage and has the attacks and/or powers of that card. They are fused, so if it is devolved or discarded, both the LvX and the card it leveled up go together.
PokePop is correct that I got confused in the last part of what you were saying about what the judge ruled. The LvX should have left play with the card under it. Sorry for the mixup.

BDS

Actually BDS, I guess your entire response was correct.
He PM'ed me to clarify that when he said the judge said "it went to the Stage 1", he meant the Pokemon was devolved down to the Stage 1, not that the Level X went to the Stage 1.

My apologies on the mix up.

Back