One Piece . . . watchable?

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by Professor_Chris, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

So, I watched a dubbed episode of One Piece, "Legendary Family! Noland the Liar" since I had yet to see dubbed One Piece since 4Kids lost it.

First, I'm glad to see the bad puns in the titles go. Second, even though the original OP song was not kept, it's nice that they at least tried to make an English version (4Kids had originally done this for "We Are," but bailed at the last moment) and they keep all the original music. Great!

Third, Alcohol references are still censored, but guns are not. Well, at least not as much. Some of the scenes may or may not have been cut partially. I haven't seen this episode in Japanese in quite a while, so I can't say for sure. Not sure about blood either since I don't think there was any in that episode.

Even the voice acting is better. It's still bad, but it's better (no more Brooklyn accents). Judging by this episode, I'd like to say One Piece is now watchable in English (if you can get past the subpar voice acting), but I'm not sure what's going to happen with the Skypia arc and God Enel.

2. Absoltrainer

Absoltrainer Active Member

Well the voices changed, and I'll admit that some of the voices sound like Dragonal Ball Z voice actors (and may very well be, I am not sure) Chopper hurts my ears though. Luffy sounds a lot more serious now and it seems like the show all of a sudden changed direction, which I don't mind. I noticed in the last few episodes that the guns are no longer colored that radioactive green color (which I hated) and they used the words "crap" and "sucks" (well a drunken guy did). I like the new direction the show is going in though.

3. Professor_Chris

Chopper's terrible. I don't know how they thought that was a good idea. I'd say Nico Robin is the second worst. The voice just doesn't fit at all.

4. votalesin

votalesin New Member

One Piece is totally watchable with all the music and voices intact. The stories are only knee deep in plot and not mind stimulating. Its a series about pirates with honor that fight other pirates on their way to become to greatest pirate crew in the world. Oh yeah the captain eats everything in site.

The series is hilarious and its full of running gags that are even funnier if you catch them. Not to mention how cool it is to watch characters that are very personality driven fight for their own causes, as well as for the good of the crew, and the town they are in, and the situation thats going on.

Oh wait you're watching dub.

If its the dubbed/hacked/edited in any way 4kids 'we-only-have-5-voice-actors' versions, then no its crap. The next time you take you dog for a walk, the stuff he leaves on the ground? Yeah thats dubbed anime.

http://www.kaizoku-fansubs.com/

Is the US series only in Skypia? That was 200 episodes ago.....

5. Marril

Marril New Member

I still maintain that even the 4Kids dub isn't as bad as animé used to be.

6. Professor_Chris

I know. I watch One Piece in Japanese with subtitles as often as it's released (Jungle P is a nice new opening. Good to see Brook in it. Hope the filler ends soon.). It's a great series, one of my favorites.

4Kids doesn't have the rights to the dub anymore. A new company (FUNimation?) has it now. That's what this thread is about. 4Kids' One Piece is terrible and unwatchable, no questions. I think it has taken a step up and perhaps become watchable now that 4Kids is no longer in charge. It's obviously still inferior to the original, but it's taken a massive step fowards.

Also, you forgot to mention ADC and Vegapunk. Otherwise, one wouldn't be able to be current. ;\

7. votalesin

votalesin New Member

Lol. With mention of Skypia I didn't think you would be that far ahead. But you already know the sources.
    To that end, I'm missing 230-250 and none of the 3 subbers have them. Any ideas other than ripping import DVD's?

8. Professor_Chris

The only option that I know of is to wait for KF to catch up to where ADC began. Unfortunately, KF is really slow these days.

9. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Well, considering Funimation licensed DBZ, it wouldn't be surprising if any of the DBZ voice actors were in One Piece.

10. Dek

Dek New Member

Now that you mention it...

Chris Sabat (Vegeta, Piccolo, King Yamma, Yamcha) plays Zolo/Zoro
    Mike McFarland (Master Roshi) plays Buggy the Clown
    Sonny Strait (Bardock, Krillin) plays Usopp
    Eric Vale (Trunks) plays Sanji
    Colleen Blinkenbeard (Zangya) plays Luffy

Of course, that's just to name a few...

On top of that, Vic Mignogna (Broly) does the intro

11. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

I actually prefer the old voices to these new ones.
    Its hard for me to even watch the show anymore, the entire feel of it has just totally changed , its alot more calm and doesnt catch my attention as much as the older one did.