Oregon State Championship ~ Results

Discussion in 'State/Province/Territory Championships' started by Big Daddy Snorlax, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

OREGON STATE POKEMON CHAMPIONSHIP

Basic Information
    11550 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR (off I 205 - East on Airport Way)
    Date - Saturday, April 24th, 2004
    Time - 10:00 AM (registration) 11:00 AM (play begins) The main tournament will last 5 to 6 hours
    Three Age Divisions - 10 & under / 11 to 14 / 15 & over
    Format – Modified Constructed Deck (bring your own deck)
    Age Modified Swiss (all players play in every round)
    Cost - $10
    Additional Information - Call (503) 888-1366 or e-mail bds@pokegym.net

Prizes Prizes Prizes
    · The top 8 players in each of the three age divisions (10 & under, 11 to 14, 15 & over) get the following prizes (boosters will be EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua):
    1st Place - 1 Box of Pokémon Booster Packs & State Champion Award plus 2 round bye at Nationals
    2nd Place - 18 Pokémon Booster Packs
    3rd Place - 9 Pokémon Booster Packs
    4th Place - 9 Pokémon Booster Packs
    5-8th Place - 4 Pokémon Booster Packs
    · All players get to pick from the “Mystery Box”, which contains a random selection of Pokémon Foils, Black Star Promo cards and ???
    · Prize Drawings between every round for Promos, Boosters, and other Pokémon items!!!

Side Events
    THEME DECK CHALLENGE: Throughout the day, whenever we have enough players sign up, we will run a Theme Deck Challenge tournament. You will not be able to participate in these tournaments if you are in the State Championship event, but we will also run them after the main event ends. You will get a random theme deck and three boosters to use in putting together a 40-card deck. All these cards are yours to keep. Energy will be provided. After putting together your deck (you have 30 minutes to do this), you will play three 30-minute rounds in a Swiss tournament (everyone plays in all three rounds). Prizes will be most likely be EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua Booster Packs for 1st through 4th places.
    Entry fee - $10.00

GAMEBOY ADVANCE TOURNAMENT: BRING YOUR GAMEBOY ADVANCE!!! Throughout the day, there will be a Gameboy advance tournament going on. The tournament will require you to bring your own GBA and Ruby/Sapphire game. Prizes will be Pokémon TCG booster packs. We will structure this tournament in a way that those people participating in the State Championship can still participate in the GBA tournament. RULES - You are allowed 3 Pokémon of level 50 or lower; No two of the same Pokémon; Groudon, Kyogre, Jirachi, Deoxys and Rayquaza are banned; ALL Shining Pokemon are banned; Entei, Raikou, and Suicune (obtained through Story Mode of Pokemon Colluseum) are also banned; No duplicate held items allowed; Certain powers (Rest, Recover, etc) are not allowed after 8 minutes into the match; "Modified" GBA cartridges are not allowed (i.e. Game Shark).
    Entry fee - FREE (Link cables will be provided)

Additional Information
    How to get there - From I-205, take the Airport Way exit. Head East on airport Way and the Marriott Courtyard Hotel will be a short distance up the road on the right.

Food – The Marriott Courtyard hotel does have a restaurant, which offers breakfast and dinner, but they have said they will stay open for lunch during our tournament. Bringing your own food into the Hotel is not allowed, but they have areas right outside where they said we could eat There are a number of restaurants and drive-ins located within ½ mile of the hotel. We will take a Lunch break around noon and a Dinner break after the main tournament ends.

BDS

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  2. AbsolutelyNobody

AbsolutelyNobody New Member

Are you allowed to use the pokemon you can import from Pokemon colluseum, as long as they are < lv 50? (eg, legendary dogs, starters, etc)? Great tourney info, by the way. Ill be coming.

3. Big Daddy Snorlax

I'll check with Chris, who will be judging the GB tournament, to see if Pokemon from Colluseum will be allowed. As soon as I get an answer I'll update the info here. It kind of seems like they should be, but I'm not up on the GB games.

BDS

4. AbsolutelyNobody

Yeah, i may or may not enter, im not very good at the gb etheir, but my friend is really good and I thought it wounld be good to know for his sake.

Thanks!

5. Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer New Member

I plan on attending...

Pokeplayer

6. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Sorry guys I can't make this one. I've had plans for sakuracon for like the last year.

7. Big Daddy Snorlax

I finally got an answer from our GB judge. He said he has been talking with others who have been doing the GB tournament and will follow their lead. Here is the complete list of what is banned:

Pokemon obtained forn Colluseum, other than those listed above, are allowed.

BDS

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  8. Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer New Member

Hello BDS..

BJ and I will be there.....

9. HoennAsh

HoennAsh New Member

I will be there at ur guys SC. Good luck to everybody who will be there.

10. AbsolutelyNobody

That's okay, I have a new *secret* team Ive been working on :rolleyes: . I will be there, and as said previously by HoennAsh, good luck!

11. Big Daddy Snorlax

I want to thank all the players who attended the Oregon State Championship. It was a long day of Pokemon, and a GREAT one!!!! We started at 10:00 AM and went until 9:30 PM. There were 66 players in the main tournament. Almost everyone hung in there until the end too, with only one player dropping due to a prior committment. The age breakdown was: 10 & under=12, 11 thr 14=21, 15 & up=33. After 7 hard fought rounds we cut to top 8 (top 4 for the 10-). Congratulations to the finalists:

10 and under:
    1 - Thomas M.
    2 - Zane N.
    3/4 - Drew L. & Travis S.

11 to 14:
    1 - Paul J.
    2 - Michael C.
    3/4 - Trevor B. & Dimitri E.
    5/8 - Joel A./Lindsey M./Corbin P./Bryan K.

15 and over:
    1 - Jim L.
    2 - Deathlord 2000
    3/4 - Sue G. & Bill A.
    5/8 - Nicki N./Nick M./Ken S./Steve B.

[An interesting side note - 2 of the three Oregon Champions are from Washington. :eek: You can bet there will be some players traveling North next weekend to get revenge!]

After the 7 rounds of swiss were completed we took a dinner break before the single elimination rounds started. Everyone was VERY appreciative or the Pizza dinner sponsored by PUI - THANK YOU PUI! While the finalists were battling it out for the championship, 25 players competed in a Theme Deck Challenge. Between the rounds of the main tournament, we also ran a Game Boy Advance tournament, which turned out to be extremely popular. There were 32 players and we had lots of people tell us they would bring there GBA next time. This will be a regular part of our tournaments from now on. :thumb:

Once again, THANKS to all who participated, and a special thanks to Shawn, Chris, June and Paul. These tournaments wouldn't happen without the best staff in the West!!!!!!! :clap:

On to the Gym Challenges

BDS

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  12. AbsolutelyNobody

A very fine Tourney it was! please pass my regards on to the other judges. GBA Tourney was awesome, and so was the sealed deck, as well as the main tournament. Washington better watch out...

13. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Watch out? I will be prepared to defend my state to the last man and the last round, well, unless I judge this time again.

14. Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer New Member

Well its time to get a swelled head.........

As BDS noted, Two of the three Oregon state champs were from WASHINGTON !!!!!!!!

Please note that the 2nd place finisher in the 10& under was from WASHINGTON !!!!!!!

We almost had a clean sweep..........now before I eat crow....There will be several Oregon players coming up north to the Washington State Championship this next weekend...We'll see if the Washington players can defend their state

Please note that Washington placed two finalists in the 11-14 category and two finalists in the 15& over category..in addition to the one finalist already mentioned in the 10 and under....not bad for a total of 12 that attended the Oregon State Chamnpionships out of 66...

Ouch...my heads beginning to swell again..........

HA HA HA ouch......

See you this comming weekend .............

Pokeplayer

15. HoennAsh

HoennAsh New Member

It was a very cool tournament and also I was the one who won the 11-14 age group division in 1st place.

16. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Looks like I'm playing in this one, then. There should be someone coming tomorrow from Canada, so be on your best behavior.

17. |PoKeY|

|PoKeY| New Member

lol its prolly only joner...

18. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

actually it was