Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Origins General Topic (news, info, rollcall) updated 5/26 new rollcall entries

mysterioustrainer

Origins Gaming Convention General Topic

Introduction
This topic has been designed for players to have just one place to discuss the Origins Gaming Convention. Like last year, I intend to research as much information about Origins as possible which is compatible to the Pokemon Community. So you will find information about Origins itself, the tournaments hosted at Origins from Pokemon Organized Play, vital Hotel Information about the surrounding hotels, information about the Convention Center itself, and my personal advice based off my last visit to worlds.

Now your part in this is that this topic will serve as a "roll call" for Orgins, a roll call to tell what hotel you are staying at, any advice you can offer, and telling us what events you plan to participate in. I won't mind any casual talk about Origins either, after all this is discussing Origins!

Rules are simple, follow the Pokegym rules and the above guidelines.

News
Professors! Pokemon Organized Play is looking again for demoing help for the Pokemon Trading Card Game at Origins, so be looking out for communications from POP concerning helping them out!

Origins Information
The Orgins International Gaming Expo (http://www.originsgames.com) is one of the largest gaming conventions in the world. It takes place in Columbus, Ohio and it is held around mid-summer. There are a variety of activities for you to participate in such as tournaments to tcgs, minitures, rpgs, lan games, and so much more. I could describe alot but go to the offical website on a better description.

The Costs
Unfortunity, the early-bird special is over however the cheapest way to regester is online. Here are the rates:

Pre-registration Rates, Deadline May 25th, 2004
4 Day $45.00
2 Day $40.00
1 Day $20.00
*Parent 4 day $35
*Parent 2 day $30
*Parent 1 day $15

Onsite Registration Rates
4 Day $50.00
2 Day $40.00
1 Day $20.00

Yes there is good reason to regester now, because every buck matters in this event! In case its difficult for you to purchase online here is the regestration form: https://secure.portentinteractive.com/origins/site/Miscfiles/Attendee/Attendee_Pre-reg_Form.pdf The convention is split into several halls in the convention center and organized by the type of gaming or catagory of events. For us the TCG is the most important and if I remember right the hall where the TCGs were in was hall E, however with the Exhibit hall moving to hall D, that may change.

Tournaments
Due to the topic being completly packed to the point where the forum technology can't take it. I have put this information in this new topic (click here.)

Fun Ideas to Make Origins a blast
Do you have any fun ideas that might make our days at this year's Origins rememberable? Please do tell, of course I will pack in my ideas and feel free to comment on them. But please make sure your content doesn't involve projectile weapons (except elvish bows), disrupting offical tournament play, or requires Hormel Spam as an ingredient.

Idea Time! by mysterioustrainer
Nametags! Yes we should do this again! This was so helpful. Click on the link to see my nametag that I created for last OriginsCLICK HERE FOR NAME TAG PICTURE. Of course make your own to customize yourself. I am sure going to this year.

Does anyone remember the "I was krouged at Origins 2003 pins that Sensei made last year?" We need something like that again however the Modified Format so sparce in any signature moves or pokemon that I can't think of anything. Maybe when EX: Team Magma vs. Team Aqua comes out we can work on that some more.

One great thing about Origins is the costumes however the only one who was couragous enough to have a costume was Mr. Grass in his very nice psyduck outfit, so with that said, I want to see players with costumes. If you have the money, time, and brains, try to do four costumes to spice things up even more! I am sure going to try to pull things off. What about you?

Theme Song, that is right! We need a theme song to celebrate this year in organized play. We did it during the old STSs I think it would be great if we could scrap something up this year. What do you think?

Hotel Inforamtion (Click Here to move to new topic)
As I said before, this topic got way to big for the forum to hold so click above to check out the hotel information there.

Greater Columbus Convention Center (http://www.columbusconventions.com)
Let me say this, this place is huge! Finding where you want to go is quite the challenge if it is your first time, however previous visitiors to Origins should find their way easily. I can't find maps yet. However most of Origins takes place in the area where the largest expo halls are at. The disadvantage to the location is that the food court is on the opposite side of the complex. So unless you have a spare hour (and I mean an hour) don't bother to try to get food from the the food court. There are food stations in each expo hall however they are expensive and not very good. Best place to get a beverage though.

The origins website has built a better food listing for you to use so take advantage of it: http://www.originsgames.com/travel/Restaurants.html

Tips
  • Try to take what you need for each day that can fit into a backpack. I wouldn't recommend roller suitcases because its actually easier to lose. Try to keep the backpack on you at all times! Build your decks only for the tournaments you are playing in and freeplay, so each day this should only be two to three decks! Also only use counters, coins, dice, etc that you are willing to lose. Bring spill-resistant water bottles to carry water in. Also don't try to bring your entire collection of cards with you to the convention center.
  • Here is what I plan to do:
  • I have a nice large backpack which has three compartments, the main compartment doesn't have any pockets, the secondary compartment has a pocket to hold small things along with mini-pockets for three pens, and third is small but has a clippy to clip on anything important. So in my small compartment, I will have my cell phone attached to the clippy. In the second compartment, I will have my offical Pokemon-e TCG Notepad and pen to write any notes on. Also in this compartment I will have my GBA SP and my Pokemon related Game Boy games, along with a link cable. In my main compartment, I will carry my resource book (which is a custom made book that contains a boat load of Pokemon information). I will have an 500 count card box to hold my decks and counters with. My counters and coins is in a velvet green bag to keep contained easily. With that said there should be enough space remaining to take in any merchandise or prizes I obtain at Origins.
  • When playing battles at Origins, I BEG YOU, don't use 20-sided dice to track damage! One it takes too long and two the dices are too easy to roll accidentaly. I don't mind dice with 6 sides or less. However the best way to track damage is by jewel style counters.
  • When leaving cards or other product at the hotel room make sure you leave the door locked with a "Do not disturb" sign hung on the door handle.
  • Recommend you ship any swords or other medieval weapons you buy home. Its difficult to get them on a plane. ;)
Pokegym Members Going to Origins
If you are going to Origins, MAKE SOME NOISE! I want to met you and hopefully this role call will be useful, please do not start any other topics with Origins roll calls in them. Also if you are playing in certains events tell us what you are playing in.

mysterioustrainer
Meganium45
Feraligatr
Moltres423
Advisor
RainbowRichards
FireFighter095ReBorn
YoungJohn06
Flare Starfire
Misdrevious (maybe)
LuMaga 01
DaytonGymLeader
JohnnyBlaze
ProfessorRenee
Rocketman
Gym Leader Phil
"Heidi Crew"
TheDuece
swanton1717
ultimate healer
Professor Chris
magnechu

Topic Links
General Information (information, rollcall, news)
Hotel Information (avalable listings, who is staying where)
Tournament Information (tournaments avalable, costs, seats left)

General Links
http://www.originsgames.com
http://www.columbusconventions.com
http://www.pokemon-tcg.com
http://op.pokemon-tcg.com
http://origins.guide.home.att.net/index.htm Last year's unoffcial guide to Origins

Last edited:
So I get to meet the amazing Myst.

I, and my two sons are going for Friday and Saturday.

Hopefully, we will find a residence inn, those are great. 2-3 room suites fit a LOT of folks

If Swanton1717 is good, we may drag him along. Alex needs someone to play with.

THX

Meganium45

Well I got you in Meganium45, it will be nice to see you again, and if I remember correctly I will have a chance to challenge you again (cause I think you defeated me in battle last time).

Anyways, I did my hotel run and I am surprised that already only 3 of the Origins listed hotels are left! Bewildering isn't? I guess I better save quickly for the hotel and Origins passes fast! So hotels that have been booked out are in red.

Last edited:
mysterioustrainer great post !!! This will be my son and I's first time to Origins. We have hotel registrations through Comfort Suites (http://www1.choicehotels.com/). It is only 10 miles from the convention center. I have included the info below. Look forward to meeting you for the first time.

Comfort Suites Columbus East
5944 Scarborough Blvd
Columbus, OH 43232
614-552-2525
Rate: $54 (3-4 people)
Available - Yes (going quick)
Pokegym members staying: Feraligatr & Family

MTJimmer says that the currently posted schedule will be changing to fit in better with time and enough events to play in. So until the new schedule is posted I have grayed out The tournament information.

mysterioustrainer said:
MTJimmer says that the currently posted schedule will be changing to fit in better with time and enough events to play in.

This is welcome news, however, there are other events at Origins in which I am planning to participate. I have already made some reservations. Did MTJimmer say when his schedule would be firmed up?

Adv1sor said:
This is welcome news, however, there are other events at Origins in which I am planning to participate. I have already made some reservations. Did MTJimmer say when his schedule would be firmed up?
No he didn't, he just wrote back this morning while I was at college.

RainbowRichards said:
Hey, craig - was it the Super 8 where we stayed last year? Thanks again for the topic!!!
Yes it was the Super 8 near the university grounds where we stayed at, I plan on going back there this year. Are you?

mysterioustrainer said:
Yes it was the Super 8 near the university grounds where we stayed at, I plan on going back there this year. Are you?

I think so! It was good accomodations, and only about 15 minutes from the Convention Center :) You can put me down as planning to stay there.

Count the FuireFighters in for origins

:D :D Done forget about me. Ill be at origins 2004 this year. I am coming with LuMaga1,his sister,my budy josh and hopefully Charwolf and his buddy alan. Were working on getting 2 more members in our group but that will be determined in may. Ill be in the US National Tournmant for Pokemon. I bough my ticket to that evet. This is my 3rd year at origins. Ill never forget the first ever prefessor championship. It will be one to have memroies for. :pokeball:

Im gonna be working on my own little draft this year if i can get the money up for it.. Future details will be announced.

[Here is the hotel update list:
The drury inn is Sold Out! Me and ray trreid there.
Me and ray got rooms at the hyatt regency just after christmas so they may have rooms but its hard to say.
I know the crown plaza should still have rooms.
The rest of the hotels im not sure on

Well thats all the info i have.
Ill see everyone in june at origins 2004. :D :D :D

Last edited:
Hey firefighter don't worry about the primary hotels, I am constanly checking open ones to see if they are avalable. But thanks for your help. I remember charwolf as he was my teammate during the Team Modified tournament on the last day.

That must mean you were the famous player i met on the prereg line when i was getting my badge on the first day. I remmeber you. I was laughing when you were arguing with some of the people walking by but all in all it was a fuin experience. It will be nice to meet ya again and good luck in teh natioanls. I know ill be hopiong for some luck.

I have added in more tips about what to pack do or whatever at Origins. By the ways there have been no changes to the tournament schedules or hotel listings.

Origins fun fact of the day
Origins is celebrating their thirteeth year this year. Right now if you have photos of previous conventions, send them to GAMA and you might win a trip to Origins this year. See the home page for more details.

YoungJohn06 said:
I should be there unless something happens. I've already purchased my badge and event tickets. :)
That's good to hear, but remember that the event schedule for Pokemon will change, be ready to do some changes of your own when the new schedule comes out!

hey mysterious. nice job on the updaters. If i had the extra time i would do what you did and keep everyone posted but with wiork and life i am very buzy.. Im shocked that 45% of thehotels are already gone.
I hope this year when i get there the lines arent as hectic on wensday. I heard last year wensday looked like a thursday morning on the preregistration line. :rolleyes:

Back