Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Orlando Battle Roads Report (5-24)(Leafeon Deck)(Zezeta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezeta

Report by: Zezeta (Justin Lynch)
Deck: Leafeon
Event: Battle Roads Spring
Format: Modified

Hey everyone I attended the Orlando Battle Roads today at Sci-Fi City in Orlando, FL. It's the same location where I go to league so it was a nice short drive to the tournament. The turnout was pretty good. I don't know the exact number but off the top of my head I would guess there was 45+ people there (I believe there were 26 players in the Masters division, which is what division I played in.)

There were three people in my group who went, my brother, my friend Stephanie, and me. My brother played a fossil deck consisting of Ramparados and Kabutops, my friend played an Infernape/Blaziken deck, and I played a Leafeon deck.

The metagame in the area is mostly Gardy/Gallade and I also knew that the new Empoleon was going to be popular, so I figured that Leafeon would be a good play. Here is the deck list for my deck.

Pokemon:

Eevee x4 (CFF)
Leafeon x2 (Leaf Guard One)
Leafeon Lv. X x2

Umbreon x1

Treecko x3 (GE)
Grovyle x1 (GE)
Sceptile x3 (GE)

Baltoy x2 (GE)
Claydol x2 (GE)

Trainers:

Warp Point x2
Rare Candy x3
Dawn Stadium x2
Bebe's Search x4
Roseanne's Research x4
Premier Ball x2
Team Galactic's Wager x1
Professor Oak's Visit x3
Night Maintenance x3

Energy

Grass x13
Scramble x2

The strategy of the deck is to get Leafeon Lv.X out as soon as possible with a Sceptile on the bench. Then start to put down energies as quickly as possible to knock out everything in one hit with Verdant Dance.

Here are the matches (to the best of my memory):

Round 1 vs Curtis

Curtis was playing a Restructure deck that involved Palkia Lv.X, Mantine, and Swampert. I've played his deck before and I always have horrible luck against him and today was no different. I started with only one treecko. I played TGW turn 2 and hopes of getting something but I lost the RPS and then proceeded to only draw into more energy and another treecko. I couldn't draw another pokemon or useful trainer at the time and lost within a few turns. Not the way I wanted to start. (0-1)

Round 2 vs Brent

Brent was playing the Empoleon. I knew that I needed to be on my best game if I wanted to win this match. Once again I started only with a single treecko, but this time I was able to get the deck going a little bit. I was able to get Sceptile out within a turn or two and was able to kill one of his Empoleon's. He was then able to kill Sceptile and the other Eevee on my bench before I was able to get anything going. So my brother, friend, and I went to lunch all being 0-2, so we were hoping the break would us some good.

Round 3 vs ???

After getting back from lunch I knew that I could do better then how I was playing earlier so I was hoping this game would help me get back on track. The guy I was playing had a Magmortor deck, but he was fairly new to the game (he was the father of one the children playing in the other divisions) so he made a few mistakes that help me take the win. I don't remember much of the battle but I do know that I was able to get Leafeon Lv.X out quickly with Sceptile and then I continued to knock out all of his pokemon in order. Finally got the first win of the day (1-2)

Round 4 vs ???

The guy I was playing had a standard Electivire deck. I was able to get Leafeon quickly and he got out Electivire just as quick. He attacked trying to use the 50x number of heads attack and rolled all tails. That was the break I needed and I was able to get Leafeon Lv.X the next turn and then started to knock his remaining pokemon. Even record! (2-2)

Round 5 vs Cory

This was the last round of the tournament and I knew I was already out of making top cuts but I wanted to leave with a winning record. The problem was that I had to play one of my friends (who of course is a great player), and I knew this would be a hard fight on my hands. Cory was running the standard Gardy/Gallade deck and he was able to get out a turn 1 Gallade. The problem was that was his only pokemon for awhile and I was able to get out Leafeon. He proceeded to knock of Leafeon quickly and then I sent out Sceptile. I used Leaf Blade and all I needed was a heads to knock out Gallade for the win. Of course that didn't happen and so Cory was able to use Roseanne's the next turn and get his deck going. He proceeded to knock an eevee or two before I was able to get my deck going. I believe I was down 2 prizes to 5 before I was able to get Leafeon Lv.X out. After that it started to roll for me I continued to knock his ralts and baltoy before he was able to level them up and I continued to finish off his pokemon until I drew my last prize. The battle was great and it kept going back in forth the entire time. I great way to end the day with a hard fought battle and a win. (3-2)

Props:

Me leaving with a winning record

My Brother and My Friend having a (2-3) and (3-2) finish respectively. (Especially after all of us started 0-2)

Jason, Cory, Curtis, and John for letting me borrow some cards for all three of our decks

Cory for giving me a great battle (The best one I had all day)

To Heidi and the Judges for a smoothly ran tournament

Slops:

Starting 0-2 (Stupid Treecko!)

Overall the tournament was a lot of fun and of course Heidi did a great job again of organizing everything and making sure it ran smoothly. It was a blast and I'll see some of you at league.

treecko starts suck. but good job going positve.

hey do you know who won by anychance. or top 4 of masters?

Top 4 of masters were:

Jim Roll
Kim _________ (sorry i dont knwo last name)
Nick Harper
Brent ______ (sry i dont know last name)

Nick - G&G
Brent - Empoleon
Kim - idk
Jim - idk

I'm pretty sure that Jim had Empoleon as well.

I didn't stay for top cuts but I know one of the other players went 4-1 and didn't make top cuts. They were playing a Garchomp deck, so that deck did pretty well also.

Overall there was still a good amount of Gardy/Gallade, but it was nice to see some new decks come out of Majestic Dawn. I don't think we'll know if the metagame has shifted away from Gardy/Gallade until after Nationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back