Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Outside Assistance

in5ano

Since the penalty guidelines don't provide a direct answer, I assume there are experienced professors in this group who can help.
Players have sat and are shuffling for their match on round 4. Player A asks player C, from another table, what deck his opponent is playing. That player answers (correctly). Player B feels unjustified for having his hidden information revealed and calls a judge.

What is the infraction committed here, if any, by players A and C? Is B "rules lawyering"? What penalty should be applied to each of them?

This is a City championship.

Once tournament play has begun, deck information is considered public. While TOs are not going to give out card for card deck lists to the players, general knowledge of the type of deck is not secret (and is almost impossible to be kept secret.)

With the popularity of streaming matches, it is something that Pokemon must allow.

No penalties should be given, although I see how Player B feels that A now has an advantage. Unless player B keeps pushing the issue, I would not penalize player B for "rules lawyering."

Once tournament play has begun, deck information is considered public. While TOs are not going to give out card for card deck lists to the players, general knowledge of the type of deck is not secret (and is almost impossible to be kept secret.)"

Thank you for answering! I have quick follow-ups. What if the questions were:
1) Hey C, does B run Catchers in his deck?
2) Hey C, does B have a Catcher in his hand?
3) Hey C, should I play a Catcher now?

It really bugs me that there's no section in the documents regarding outside assistance, nor there is a clear distinction between what is public and what is hidden information.

They should have had that conversation before sitting down at the match.
Once sitting down for the match, I'd give a warning for match-related conversations with 3rd parties.
If it continued, I'd escalate.

I don't think I'd go past a Warning for the first "what kind of deck" question.
Continued discussion, especially about specific cards, would quite likely trigger higher penalties, since the warning had been given.

Honestly, while this is all information that could have been shared freely just a few minutes before away from the tables, it's just not appropriate to be discussing with 3rd parties at the table.

Back