Pachirisu's Smash Short against Unown tools

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Black Winged Gengar, Feb 24, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Black Winged Gengar

Black Winged Gengar New Member

If I use Smash Short against a Pokemon that has Unown E (Equip) attached as a tool, I know I would get to discard it, but if my opponent still has any other Unown E's in their hand, would I get to discard those? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get to, as they're not counting as Pokemon Tools in the hand and Smash Short reads "...discard any Pokemon Tools of the same name you find there."

If that is true though, would I even get to look at my opponent's hand in the first place since there's no chance of even discarding anything? And lastly, if I do happen to have the ability to still look, say the foe has Unown G (Guard) attached instead. It wouldn't get discarded due to the effect of the tool, but could I still look at my opponent's hand (And discard depending on the first ruling)? Guard doesn't protect the player's hand, but I never did discard anything (And there's no text saying "If you do...")

Thanks~

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You wouldn't get to discard the Unown in hand since they are not Tools at that point.
    We'll double check about looking at the hand, but you should be able to look and just not fird a valid Tool.