Palkia, Palkia, Palkia.....

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Everwind, Jul 28, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Everwind

Everwind New Member

My kids want to make a Palkia deck.

In all my research I have never really seen Palkia used more than as a tech.
    I started look at all the DP-on cards and was wondering what I could do.

It seems the choice or strategy would be focus on disruption and specificaly energy disruption.

Candidates seem to include Ambipom (DP), Vaperon, Electrivire Lvx and Blissey. Throw in some Team Galactic Mars for more discard.

My problem is that this really doesn't seem very viable as a strategy and most of the Pokes low HP hurt it. I see Swampert in theses decks so I would have to optain them, but having lots of stage 2s seem to really hurt deck that really needs to be quick to be effective.

Any ideas, I am leaning to a Palkia/Blissy Deck or a Palkia/Electivire but all the 4 energy attacks seems to really slow a deck like this down, especialy in DP-on.

2. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

Palkia + Mantine + Swampert.

It's disruptive as heck. It takes a bit of time to get set up and running but for Juniors it probably has a reasonable shot.

Mantyke is an OK starter. Mantine gives all your water types reduced retreat.

Swampert lets you move the water energy around as needed and can act as an attacker against a lightning based deck.

The basic idea is to use Palkia level X's power and retreat or move energy as needed. You can alternate Mantines as a backup attacker, attacking with the first, then next turn retreating for free and moving the energy to the new active so he can attack.

3. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Actually, I think Palkia + Mantine + Empoleon MD would be better, but it would have more focus on Empoleon that way, which might not be desired.

4. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

You get mono-weakness with Empoleon too & loose the ablity to move the energy around.

I toyed with the idea of Togekiss + Palkia at one time with the thought of abusing his Transback attack. Never tested it though & it has the mono-weakness also.

5. Scipio

Scipio New Member

I tried Palkia/Swampert at tourneys before MD, and it was just outsped by Empoleon. Fun deck but not really viable. Its hard to stuff things like Togekiss in due to the high amount of cards already required.

6. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I would play the levelX in a Magnezone deck with all metal energy. You just use Palkia for the awesome power and everything in your deck will have free retreat with a metal on it. You can then add Magnezone LvlX to move the energy around and have the auto-paralyze attack (you would of course need electric energy too). That at least is a deck where you can defend playing multiple Palkias.

7. Black Mamba

Black Mamba New Member

For HP-on, me and a couple of friends made an AMAZING fun deck based around Palkia and Lugia SW. The idea was to utilize mantines and holon WP to make all of your pokemon have free retreat, then bring up your opponent's energyless Pokemon and OHKO them with Lugia's 2nd attack. It played a lot of ER2's and made for a great league deck.

No ER2 makes that deck sad. :(

8. Dennis Hawk

Dennis Hawk New Member

I've toyed around with Palkia quite much, trying to get it working in this season... As the power is magnificient if you can neutralize the drawback...

Palkia-Magnezone is even now playable, thanks to Holon's Castform tech. You can even attack with Palkia there, and Castform nulls the retreat.

Palkia-Mantine combo is obvious one... I just feel it needs a bit too much bench space and setupping.

Palkia-Moonlight-Weavile works, if Palkia is mainly used as tech, not a main purpose.

PLOX can use Palkia as tech, with Gardy X's power.

Who knows, maybe after worlds we'll know more of Palkia's power...