Paypal warning please read!

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by pokemonmike, Jun 19, 2008.

1. pokemonmike

pokemonmike Active Member

OK, So far I have received 2 paypal emails, or so they look like them, and say that their has been suspicious activity happening with your account and gives a link for you to sign into and give your password and email.....Luckily I took the time to first sign into my paypal , actually my old paypal which I never use anymore , and from what the paypal email told me and what I seen on my account were 2 different things! the paypal header and all they have in the email does look legit but further investigation proved otherwise

So if any of you paypal users get a email from paypal saying anything like I mentioned above goto your paypal first and check it out. I have reported this but would hate to see others get scammed . For one the paypal address was not even the paypal url it was somoething like paypal@accounts.net or something like that.

2. ~Blazi-King~

~Blazi-King~ New Member

Oooh, Thanks!

Im glad your warning us about a possible scam!

3. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

Thanks, I'll check my email.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Hah, I didn't get anything, just a message from PayPal saying that they automatically paid themselves again. Thanks for the warning. I rember getting an email about eBay bucks, then I went on the eBay forums and everyone was saying it was probably a scam--after I signed up (but I did make sure the email was sent from ebay.com). Kind of creeped me out, but everything was legit.

I remember Tentacruel13 told me about how he got a spoof email trying to get him to log in... but one thing I noticed was that he put his email address directly in the text of his ebay listing... there are probably many bots out there that search for email addresses in ebay item descriptions.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

Phishing is fun :)

5. DukeFireBird

DukeFireBird Gallery Administrator<br>Forum Moderator

ya, beware of phishers, I just got a phish attempt on me. I sold my laptop on ebay and i get 7 emails from the seller, ebay, and paypal. The ebay and paypal ones first said not to ship it, then the 2nd ones said it was alright to ship it. I contacted paypal about it and sure enough, SCAM. They saved me a ton for that, and the guy was messaging me on YIM. I told him off good =)

so short lesson. eBay and Paypal emails will have your NAME on it and not dear, paypal/eBay member.

When in doubt, go to the appropriate site in a separate window/tab and log in there. If you are still unsure, CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

~Duke

6. pokemonmike

pokemonmike Active Member

Funny thing was it said I had just bought a limited edition godfather DVD collection for $524!!!:eek: But it needed me to authorize it and click the link below and sign into my account.:rolleyes: Ahhh no I don't think so.

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

This is good advice for any online account that anyone has.
    Any message from that account/company is suspect and you should always access your account from the direct website, not from links given in an email.

8. MKPokemom

MKPokemom New Member

This happens frequently...

I have been given the following information by Paypal and Ebay...Forward Paypal spam / phishing emails to spoof@paypal.com and Ebay spam / phishing emails to spoof@ebay.com.

Unfortunately these phishing emails are very common and look very convincing. DO NOT click any links in the emails and if you do then DO NOT enter ANY information, including email address, passwords, credit card info, address, etc. They already have some info about you, all they need is just a little bit more to really ruin your life. Don't give them ANYTHING! If there were really a problem, Ebay and Paypal would alert you thru your accounts with them. Before doing anything, sign onto your account directly like Pokepop said, not thru a link, and check out your messages.

Ebay and Paypal are great resources. Good luck and have fun! :thumb:

9. P_A

P_A Active Member

Yep, it's actually a common thing. I've gotten about 20 of those emails of various subjects and scams - but anyone who knows me realizes that I DON'T even have paypal! It's also probably a good idea to report these emails by forwarding them (without changing any subject or body of the email) to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com

10. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

I have been getting these types of email's for about 3+ years. I don't even look at most of them anymore.

Drew

11. Marril

Marril New Member

Common sense: My anti-phishing.

12. EeveeLover

EeveeLover Member Services Administrator

I have a friend that has been getting notices like this from 'paypal' for years. Too bad he has never had a paypal account.

13. Marril

Marril New Member

Heh, I actually got one of these emails just now. Ignoring that I don't have a paypal anyway, I moused over the link it tried to get me to log in from and saw that the URL was so fake that it was an insult to my intelligence.

Seriously, not to rub it in too hard to 'Gym members who fall for this, but you've got to be pretty inattentive to not notice that the URL you just went to isn't the same as the text you just clicked.

14. V_For_Vendetta

V_For_Vendetta New Member

So, do these guys work at accounts.net?
    Please let me know, my friends and I have fun with people like this, you wouldn't believe how much they REGRET trying to trick people out of their money sometimes....

15. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Becareful Mike, Its Never a good idea to take sides against the family.