Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Philly regionals report

Bigbowlr1037

Having tested since july i was incredibly confortable with my Rayeels list. I went into the tournament not fearing darkrai/hydreigon or rayeels mirror. Sorry if i forget you name but it was a long day. After round 6 details are more clear so skip down there now

Round 1 vs. Rayquaza eelektrik.
Dont remember much about this game but shiny rayquaza had a ball.

1-0

Round 2 vs Joe Zekeels
He starts bouffalant attachs a lightning and eviolite and starts gold breaking my tynamos turn 2 and its over

1-1

Lunchtime were told round 3 starts at 130. Yep 2 round completed for an event that started at 10.

2pm
Round 3 vs darkrai/hydreigon
I dont remeber a single thing about this round but i did win

2-1

Round 4 vs Billy Fischer darkrai/hydreigon

I start rayquaza ex to his deinos i attach a fire and pass he headbutts and passes. I spend 2 turns attaching lightning and koing deinos. We both have terrible starts and i draw out of it before him.

3-1

Round 5 vs darkrai/hydreigon
Same as round 4

4-1

I check my phone and realize its 500 when round 5 ends and know theres 0 chance were playing top 32 today

Round 6 vs darkrai/hydreigon
He would bench a deino and rayquaza ex would dragon burst it. After i ko 2 of them he switchs to darkrai sableye strategy. I volt bolt 1 darkrai for 100 a turn later i catcher his full health darkrai with an eviolite dynamotor twice to rayquaza ex, attach lightning, retreat to rayquaza ex and energy switch for 220. I ko the damaged darkrai a couple turns later for the game.

5-1

Now were getting to the part of the day i remember best.

Round 7 vs lewis peterson (darkrai terrakion)
he starts terrakion to my shiny rayquaza. I dragon pulse turn 1 shred turn 2 to ko his terrakion. He doesnt draw an energy til way to late and i control the match. He was a great guy and finished 7-2 making t32, congrats to him.
6-1

Round 8 vs Sam Chen (rayquaza eels)
Great guy we exchange pleasantly before he start pounding my face it with rayquaza i try to claw my way back but hes not letting up.
6-2

Round 9 vs alex frezza recorded for top cut
Donk. First of the season and i was fuming
6-3

While waiting for my results Gino Lombardi walks up to me and almost got kicked into a wall. I wasnt in the mood Gino. I check the standings and see in im 31st so id have to come back sunday morning

so were told we need to be back sunday at 8am. i check and see im playing Dylan Bryan and ask a friend what he was playing since he lost to dylan earlier. i found out it was a Hooh with drv rayquaza and musharna. i wake up at 530 to get to the convention center by 8. i get to philly and while walking to the convention center i see Dylan run by and he asks me which way to the convention center. i point him in the proper direction and he runs away. i later find out he left his deck at home and was frantically trying to borrow what he needed to build it in time for our top 32 match. he gets 59 cards fairly quickly and spends 20 minutes trying to find a munna. he finds one with about 5 minutes to spare. we sit down for our match and he shuffles alot.

Top 32 vs Dylan Bryan (Skittles w/ DRV rayquaza)

Game 1
Donk

0-1

Game 2
i get 2 quick eels after starting with raikou. he drops terrakion and i knew i had to tread cautiously. i volt bolt his terrakion and he drops a second terrakion. i dynamotor and volt bolt the new terrakion and he drops a third terrakion. i again volt bolt the new terrakion leaving all three at 100 damage, i take out hooh with a rayquaza ex dropping me to 3 prizes and dylans at 6. he then starts koing my eels with terrakion and i knew i was in good shape. the next 3 turns i attached lightning energies and exchanged my eels and raikou for his terrakion winning 6-4
0-5 on rebirth this game for dylan

Game 3
this game was alot closer. we exchanged prizes until he was at 1 i was at 2 and i used rayquaza to ko his mewtwo for game.

Top 16 vs Guy Bennett(Garbodor Terrakion)

Game 1
i dont get an eel out his doesnt get a garbodor out his terrakions retailate. 6-3 win for him.

Game 2
he gets garbodor out late and i kills me 6-4 win for him.

i hung out till top 8 started @12:15 and left.

---------- Post added 10/15/2012 at 06:24 PM ----------

i would like to say it was a fun event but the event was run so poorly it took away from some of the fun. 9 rounds of swiss took almost 11 hours to complete and it seemed masters came to a screeching halt once juniors and seniors top cut began. everything sped up a bit once they finished(around 530) but it still went slow.

my other gripe was one of the judges(i think his name was Tim) but he watched over my t16 match vs Guy. i was losing gane one and guy had all but sealed the game and he leans in and says "you can scoop anytime to move to game 2." that irked me. game 2 guy puts a tool on garbodor and he leans in again and says "now your abilities dont work." last time i checked its not ok for a judge to chime in and add his 2 cents. im aware what the cards do and im aware of my options leave me be and let me play my game.

Lindsay. Most definitely not a senior. Started playing in black and white and spent last season just trying to get a grasp of the fundamentals. Now im going full steam ahead for worlds. 6 CPs last season 62?(never checked my final rank so i may have more) CPs so far this season.

I'll concur about how the event was run. Soooo slow. Masters started late and hit plenty of road bumps along the way. A lot of people dropped,

Yep 130 by the end of swiss. I knew t32 wasnt happening saturday because dorian said she didnt want to start a round after 8 pm. It also didnt help that they waited to get ALL the results slips before actually putting the results in the computer. I think it could have cut significant time if they were entered as they came in. It was also annoying having to wait 30 minutes to get my prizes after my t16 loss but that might have been standard for top cut i dont know as this was the first big event top cut i actually got prizes from.

On a lighter note. I loved that the convention center was on JUNIPER st.

Haha, I noticed that too! All in all, I'd do it again... Just know what to expect. Grats on your wins btw

Thanks. Id do it again to simply because this isnt typical of a dorian run event. This is the first time in all her events ive been to that it was this bad.

Some of the recent battle roads were a lil slow, but yeah, definitely not to this extreme. I think PART of it was computer trouble.

I didn't like how they ran seniors, rumor has it that the event was supposed to have 7 rounds for us, which if I would have won, I would have made TopCut, which is more important than just 7 packs.

Back