Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Php and html help

Muscovy Level X

For the last week or so, I've been working on making a Team Space-Time site, primaraly to put our fake card scans. But the design I wanted to do (simmilar to Pokegym's research tower), not to mention article editing forums, need a coding called "PHP". So what is PHP? All I know is that it's used in any sort of interactive one screen actions.
There is nothing I can find on the internet that explains how to build the PHP itself, then alone post it. It seems that it is some sort of link that sends new data/links, ect to the page, without leaving that page. The actual web page will only have all these links in. The PHP data is elsewhere.

So does anyone know about PHP, or how it works? :confused:

It's funny. I just took an entire course in databases, which use PHP as the front-end coding mechanism, and I don't know any PHP.

Online PHP tutorial

That's about the only notes I've got for PHP. There are some other good tutorials on the web, just look for them...

Thanks for the link, bullados, but that's way over my head. And for some reason, my computer wouldn't let me veiw any sample PHP file from 'my Documents'. This is so confusing.:confused:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

And while were on technical stuff, how do you wrap images around another image. I tried moving the imagr src stuff to where you'd wrap text around the main image, but they defaulted to below.:eek:

Thanks for the link, bullados, but that's way over my head. And for some reason, my computer wouldn't let me veiw any sample PHP file from 'my Documents'. This is so confusing.:confused:

And while were on technical stuff, how do you wrap images around another image. I tried moving the imagr src stuff to where you'd wrap text around the main image, but they defaulted to below.:eek:

best help i could give you would be after high school since i have every computer class possible

PHP is a web based programming language. To me it was one of the easiest languages to learn. Basically, PHP takes information from an HTML form, and then processes it. By processing it, I mean it does what you tell it to do. If you want to put it in a database, it will; if you want it to add a few numbers together, it will.

If you need a forum for your website look into phpbb3, punbb, simple machine forums (smf). These are free forum software. vBulletin is one of the best forums software, but does cost money. To be good with PHP you need to have a good understanding of HTML.

Something like the Research Tower is not too terribly hard to write in PHP, but it does take some understanding. Something like this needs a database, which requires you to know a different language, SQL. SQL is a very easy language to learn the basics in.

PHP files can be opened with Notepad, which all Windows based computers have.

Depending on your host, you may or may not have PHP support on your server.

Something like the Research Tower is not too terribly hard to write in PHP, but it does take some understanding. Something like this needs a database, which requires you to know a different language, SQL. SQL is a very easy language to learn the basics in.
It's our scans that I need up soon. The article forum is less important.
I've now learned how to write basic PHP. The next big problem for me is where the actual PHP data goes. The research tower shows PHP links, no other PHP data.

And does anyone know how divisions work? I know as much as you add a / then the info for the page, after the site url. But how can you add the /extended page when a.) / is an invaid name for a stored file and b.) the document name must always end in html, even if the page shouldn't.

Yeah, I tried making a website with no experience at all and it was a pain. I don't know how to do PHP, but to visually create your website, I recommend a free program called NVU. Check it out.

http://www.nvudev.com/index.php

You can also search the internet for free predesigned templates to base your site off of. That is what I did.

But making a website is a big challenge for clueless people like us lol! Good luck!

I am trying to understand what you mean be divisions.

I think that I might though.

take this link:
Code:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72050
The first part is the protocol: http://
The second part is the domain: pokegym.net
The third part is the folder (you can have more than one): forums
The fourth part is the file: showthread.php
The fifth part is a 'get' variable (name = value) (you can have more than one): t=72050

You cannot have a '/' in a file name, because it means directory.

The research tower (I am assuming) uses a database, do you have a database?

If you do, you should set up a table with the a primary key (autonum), location of the file, card name, card number, card set. . .etc (note to people who work with databases: this is probably not normalized, but normalized tables are more difficult for people to grasp, so I am proposing this way as it is easier to write for)

You should then use a 'get' variable to pull the primary key off of the table:
Given a url like this where {pk} is the primary key of a record in the database
Code:
http://www.mysite.com/viewcards.php?card={pk}
You would use some code like this
Code:
$card  = $_GET['card'];
$sql = "SELECT * FROM tblCards WHERE pk = $card";
Then add the normal sql stuff to pull the data.

Back