Pokémon Mysteries Revealed

Discussion in 'Pokemon Fan Fiction' started by The Fish King, Jan 16, 2004.

1. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

In lew of making another Fan Fiction that would most definitely would not be finished due to my leaving in a month or so, I have decided to bring back a great idea that was started at the Magikarp Secret Society. The MSS is an online organization that has since disbanded, but the spirit of it's members still live on. The idea was to explain the great Pokémon mysteries in sound scientific theories. Every once in a while I will reveal a new mystery for all to be enlightened. Feel free to ask your own questions as they come to you and I will explain them to you.

To start off I will explain one of the biggest mysteries ever conceived. How does a Pokéball work?

The answer to this question comes in two parts. First, its ability to collapse and still retain its spherical shape is easily explainable. It isn't a "Perfect Sphere." It has sliding panels that move over each other to shrink it. These panels are very thin so it appears to be a sphere. Inside there are also springs that coil up when it collapses and expands. These springs move the panels.

The second answer is about capturing Pokémon. For this, a bit of discussion about biology is needed. Pokémon is a Kingdom of its own, like Plantae or Animalia are. Every creature in the Pokémon Kingdom shares a chromosome that is identical to every other Pokémon. This chromosome was titled to P-chromosome. The genetic make up of this chromosome reacts to something that not even I understand. In ancient times, people found something that converts Pokémon into energy. Only recently though, have scientists found that this method is linked to that chromosome. Through further research, better methods of capturing have been developed Silph Co. Has funded this research so that they can earn the rights to Pokéballs, which were Silph Co.'s invention.

Before the invention of the Pokéball, Apricorns were used to store Pokémon. They used to be hollowed out and pared to serve the same purpose of a standard Pokéball. Apricorn juice is a powerful sedative for Pokémon and the juice from different colored Apricorns have different effects on Pokémon Some Pokémon have stronger reactions to the juice of certain colors than other Pokémon do. (Nidoran and their evolutions are particularly weak to Green Apricorn juice.)

White - Captures Pokémon that are extremely frightened (to the point of fleeing) - Fast Ball

Black - Captures very heavyset Pokémon - Heavy Ball

Pink - Causes a Pokémon to adore its captor - Love Ball

Green - Captures Pokémon associated with the Moon Stone - Moon Ball

Yellow - Captures Pokémon that feel intimidated - Level Ball

Blue - Captures Water Element Pokémon - Lure Ball

Though the art of Apricorn balls has been hugely out dated with the invention of Pokéballs, there are still a few masters of the trade around. Kurt, living in Azalea Town, Johto, Japan, still makes classic Apricorn balls for tourists.

As I said earlier, the mapping of the Pokémon Genome has led the path for more advanced methods of capture. Now that you know how a Pokéball turns a Pokémon into energy and how they expand and contract, you need to know haw Pokéballs keep Pokémon inside them. The answer is magnetism. Through a complex combination of powerful magnets, a Pokémon is trapped as polarized energy in the middle of a Pokéball. The inside of the red half of the sphere holds strong positive charges and the white half holds strong negative charges.

Apricorns, however, didn't use magnets. The tranquilizing effects of Apricorn juice kept Pokémon in their energy forms. Due to the fact that the Apricorn balls eventually dry up, trainers used to have their Pokémon switch into new balls every six or so months. Since Pokéballs didn't need the same treatment, they very quickly became popular.

There are several different strength of Pokéballs, all at separate prices.

Pokéball - Weak

Greatball - Medium

Hyperball - Strong - (When released in Silph Co. of America it was given the name of Ultraball)

Masterball - Perfect

I believe that is all I know about Pokéballs... If I can think of anything else, I'll write it.

Feel free to ask any question about the world of Pokémon that has yet to be answered here. I will answer as soon as I can. (Some research may be needed.)

2. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

That would explane the static discharge you see in pokemon coliseum when they return to there pokeballs. So shouldn't Elc types be easyer to catch?

3. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

What about the older Pokeballs

Like the one Sammie had in the 4th movie

Like th Pokeballs in the Pokemopilis episode. (Giant Gengar/Kazam/Jiggly)

4. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Well if you look at that again, he had to go into his pack and wined the the pokeball

5. The Anaconda

The Anaconda New Member

Ahh, good old MSS... I remember the days of MSS and PokeMysteries...

In fact, I was the one that ran things at PokeMysteries (MSS was actually a different place that really was more along the lines of a traditional Pokemon site). If any of you remember that old site you should be able to remember me.

Anyway, I guess Chris was tired of waiting for me to say anthing about this. I've actually been working for the last two months on putting back together that concept (anyone that's noticed the note in my signature about "an old pokemon site being brought back from the grave", this is it). Since all the PokeGods junk has all but gone (which made up 90% of the questions I received on that site), it could really work this time around.

Now I guess since Chris has posted it here I should finish putting together the page so it can get going. Keep an eye out for it.

As far as the questions are concerned:

The Pokeball that Sammy had didn't have an automatic lock. It had to be locked and unlocked manually, as seen when he "winds up" the ball.

The "Dark Device" and the "Unearthly Urn" and the giant bell in the Pokemopolis episode worked on a different principle. Rather than just containing the energy in empty space, those devices held those energies in matter form, much along the same principles as a battery (the reason they held for so long is that batteries generate an electrical charge through a chemical reaction, a reaction that corrodes the batteries, but those devices weren't used for generating electricity or anything of the like so they were kept inert).

More questions, please.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  6. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

Well... Good answers Cheney... (You gave my name so I'll give yours) But this is my topic... You can take over when I leave.

Now for another (but shorter) question:

Why does Eevee have so many evolutions?

Eevee actually only has two natural evolutions, Umbreon and Espeon. It's other evolutions were created by science. Various "elemental stones" were invented to create the other Eevee evolutions. Scientists have found that Eevee's genetic make-up is very sensitive to radiation. Specific kinds of radiation radically change their genetic coding. Even the soft ultra violet radiation of the sun changes Eevee's natural evolution of Umbreon into Espeon. After trial and error (often times resulting in tragedy), three different stone have been invented to artificially evolve Eevee.

The various evolutions are as follows:
    Umbreon - Normal evolution when ultra violet radiation is low (Most usually at night)
    Espeon - Normal evolution when ultra violet radiation is high (Most usually during the daytime)
    Jolteon - Artifical evolution by Thunderstone (High concentrations of electromagnetic radiation)
    Flareon - Artifical evolution by Firestone (High concentrations of photonic radiation)
    Vaporeon -Artifical evolution by Waterstone (High concentrations of ultrasonic radiation)

The Leafstone and Sunstone were also created to evolve Eevee. The Leafstone worked on radioactive carbon and the Sunstone on ultraviolet radiation. They both failed to produce an effect on Eevee, but they had interesting effects on other Pokémon so they remain in circulation.

7. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Okay I belive the radiation part. BUT, the stones were not invented. In the ep where they find the eevee, they say there are a lot of stones in the moutian side. There for proving you worng :p
    ( and I thought you would have got that right T_T)

8. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

Question then... Two episodes of the anime contradict your theory.

In the episode with the 3 Eevee Brothers, Team Rocket was digging for stones in the mountains. Though they were unsuccessful, the guide book clearly stated that they were unearthed from this particular mountain. Those stone's would be the Thunder Stone, Fire Stone, Leaf Stone, and Water Stone.

Another episode is when there are a bunch of Bellossem and Vileplume fighting. In certain areas, the wind contained concentrated particles of Sun Stone and in others, the Leaf Stone.

Therefore, your theory of evolution stones is technically incorrect (though I liked that way you explained the Pokeball concept).

9. The Anaconda

The Anaconda New Member

Geez... I turn my back for five minutes, and already you got people saying you're wrong. :rolleyes: :eek: What are we ever going to do with you.

Heheheh... You said to not say anything, so I won't. You can clear that up...

*goes back to working on bringing PokeMysteries back online*

10. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

I just knew that somebody would mention those episodes... :: Sheesh :: I can't do anything without people trying to prove me wrong. The truth of the matter is that hte traces of Sunstones and Leafstones that were found in the air were caused by the Silph Co. factories that are not far away. Two factories in particular were having an exhaust problem not long back. Somehow the pressure tanks designed to forge the raw materials into Sunstones and Leafstones cracked and leaked fragments into the furnace which were then scattered through the exhaust. The fact that same problem occurred in two separate factories have lead the local athourities to investigate possible sabotage. Silph Co. put a big hush on the matter so that their company name wouldn't be tarnished.

As for the ones in the mountains around the city that based their economy around selling "elemental stones," yes, they were found in the mountain nearby. However, they are not naturally occurring materials (or more accurately, not all of them are naturally occuring). Back during World War Two the Japanese government had stored those stones there to protect them for future use. They did not want them to fall into Allied hands if the battles started to go against their favor. The mine they were stored in was then filled in to hide the evidence. The radiation of the stones then infused other minerals around them with the same radiation thus creating more "elemental stones." So long as harvesting the stones stays at a low pace the supply will continue to replenish itself. If more people would pay attention in history class this knowledge wouldn't be so rare.

So there you have it. Conspiracy, sabotage, and government cover-up. If you people wouldn't stick your nose in federal business this information would have stayed in the shadows where it belongs...

11. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Fish get off it. You know your wrong¬_¬

12. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

I know... I'm sorry... So I screwed up... It had just been so long since I had seen the Eevee episode that I didn't think of it. The part about the Gloom evolving I figured was from factory exhaust like I said...

13. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

I see that nobody is asking questions other than in response to my answers. I'm thinking that it is bacause I screwed up. Let's see if I can redeem myself.

Why do some Pokémon evolve only when they are traded?

These Pokémon do have the ability to evolve on their own. It just takes an incredibly long time. Trading a Pokémon leaves a strong mental and emotional strain on it. This raw emotion (be it releif, sorrow, anger, or any number of emotions) triggers the reaction that would evolve these creatures.

Some of the afore mentioned Pokémon are including, but not limited to:
    Geodude - evolves into Golem
    Kadabra - evolves into Alakazam
    Machoke - evolves into Machamp
    Haunter - evolves into Gengar

There are also those Pokémon that evolve through trading, but only when holding certain items. That naurally occuring king's rock has an effect on Slowpoke and Seadra. And the Metal Coat evolves Onix and Scyther. Pokémon travel through the trade machine at a molecular level and physically merge with the items they are holding.

Now it is true that these Pokémon do have the ability to evolve normally, but this process has proven to be very effective.

The Up-Grade works similarly with Porygon, but since Porygon are digital and only have a physical body when a hard light holo emitter is included with it upon purchase it works a bit differently. When Porygon travels through the trade machine the Up-Grade software kicks in and alters Porygon's digital DNA making it more efficient and versitile. Porygon may not evolve any other way.

14. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Okay heres one. Do you think the PokeNav uses GPS or something different?
    (If it's GPS, then it's a pice of carp)

15. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Side note. Kings Rock only evolves Slowpoke and Poliwhirl, Seadra evolves with a Dragon Scale. other than that, sounds plausable.....

Here is a better excuse/reason for the montain town in the Eevee episope, IMO.

While the stones are manufactured, the raw material for these stones is found here. There is a Silph Co plant in the town which produce the 3/4 stones in which the Mountain provides. While there are other sources of this material, this is the biggest concentration of it....

Something like that maybe...

16. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

Very interesting idea, Fish!

I noticed you didnt mention the MIRRORS in the modern pokéballs...I figure the pokés remain in a constant laser like state, reflecting off of each mirror untill the trainer interrupts the circuit by opening the pokéball. Since the laser is no longer in constant motion, it allows the pokémon's molecules to reconfigure and regroup in the pokémon's natural state. This allows a poké to be compacted in the pokéball and normal when out....

Here's a question...how do enough Magikarp survive to Gyaradoshood for the next generation to continue on? I suspect the massive amount of progeny per Magikarp pair allows for more to survive than expired...and the Magikarps' hard scales must play a role too....

17. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

Okay thanks for the question. About the Seadra... It was a simple mistake of trying to type without having slept in some time. Spectreon, you are right, that is a better excuse. I needed to come up with an excuse on the spot and WWII is the only thing that popped into my head.

About the PokéNav. Yes, it does run off of a Global Positioning System. It is Devon's own network of GPS satelites that run it. This network spans most of Japan and plans to mobilize satelites into China and North America soon. Some localized transmitters also are positioned on land to provide better readings even when in caves and dense forests. There have been cases of PokéNavs going out of range, but when each PokéNav returns to transmitted areas it sends an error report to Devon headquarters informing them of the "dead spot." This constant feed of reports helps Devon improve and expand their system all the time.

Concerning the mirros in the Pokéballs, your guess was very astute. While the mirrors do reflect the light, it is not to keep the energy in relative motion. Mirrors are used to refract the energy and keep it mostly spherical. It is easier to polarize energy when it is contained in a perfect shape than it is to polarize energy haphazzardly scattered about.

Yes, it is true that Magikarp have low survival rates due to predation, but they still manage to thrive because of their versitallity. Magikarp can survive in any water no matter how poluted or salty. They will eat and can digest most anything that flows into thier mouths. Also they lay approximately one thousand eggs in a life-time. However, very few - about three Magikarp out of four hundred ever evolve into Gyarados.

This is getting fun... More questions please...

18. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Glad I could help explain/bail you outta a jam.... mmmmm..... JAM..... =P......

To tired to think of question, maybe an explantion of Huntail/Gorbyss......

19. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

oh, i got one! Ok, how can Snorlax not go extinct when they are asleep most of the time, and when they're awake consume so much food. To survive and coexist with other creatures, there would have to be very few and be spread out far. Snorlax couldnt afford to live in concentrated areas, so how can they keep their species alive if they as a species must be few and far? Or is my reasoning off?

In short: how come snorlax arent extinct? Will they ever go extinct? Will they force others to go extinct?

20. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

It is true that Snorlax live few and far between, but they due happen to find mates during their breeding seasons. These usually come about once every five years and are always in the fall. Snorlax then give birth in the Spring. There are usually two or three cubs in a litter. The male does not raise the young. He leaves soon after mating and finds a place to live. The female raises the young until Fall when she leaves the cubs to find their own food. Snorlax often live in a climate where wild fruits and vegetables grow year round.

The male leaves to conserve food for the female and her litter. The female eats everything is sight for the months that she nurses. This provides for very nutritious milk.