pokeball-the once-sucky trainer broken?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by JasonthePwnda, Jan 8, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

after seeing everyone use soo many supporters and always running into problems unloading them all, and people arguing about wally's training / elm's training method, i decided that POKEBALL is a good replacement. think about it. you can use all 4 in one turn, getting yourself 2 evolutions. then you can use some supporter to get the two cards that you lost from tails flips back. is pokeball worth playing? it has a reputation of suckiness but i think it is broken (well, not broken, just good).

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Its never really been a terrible card, just not really a good one. It only works on average every other time. Back in unlimited days, even right after Jungle release, there were better options, like Comp Search and Poke Trader. Sure they had draw backs too, but they were 100% reliable.

Now in the current modified, you have a few options....

For basics, you can use Net Search, or Fan Club as supporters, Double Pokeball, or Apricorn Forrest as non supporters, or even Sparce as a Pokemon

For Evos you have PETM and WTM as supporters. Fast Ball as a non supporter. There are a few Pokemon that specifically search for evos as well I believe

Then there are the the cards that work for both evos and basics. Including Pokeball, Master Ball, and the highly unused Friend Ball for Non Supporters. I find it interesting that there isnt a single supporter I can think of that lets you search you rdeck for a baisc or evo. Only one or the other. As far as Pokemon go, you have Wynaut who can search for any Pokemon, or Linoone who can search fo ranything at all.

With those kinda options for Poke Searching, and the fact that Pokeball is a flip to work card, I dont think you will see many, if any in most decks. Its just too unreliable!!!

3. BLiZzArD

BLiZzArD New Member

umm why not just use dual ball get 2 flips and twice as many pokes out?
    BLiZ

4. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Pokeball gets ANY Pokemon

Dual Ball gets only Basics

5. BLiZzArD

BLiZzArD New Member

ok then how about fast ball?
    BLiZ

6. duanojo

duanojo New Member

Pokeball is way too hit or miss with its flip. As others have said, there are many better cards. Use Dunsparce., Lanette's, or Friend Ball for basics; PETM, WTM, or Fast Ball for evos; and Forest Guardian or even the under-appreciated Master Ball for either. I'll have to admit, I've paused at Pokeball while trying to find trainers to finish a modified deck, but only for a second before moving on.

7. CrimsonWarrior26

CrimsonWarrior26 New Member

But of course beginners may not have any better choices you must remember. Like in
    Nintendo Power I've seen some decks with Poke'ball as their main search. Right off I can tell those
    are the beginners.

PS: the card Colossem in Nintendo Power will accept ANY current Moddified deck.

8. irwinmalek

irwinmalek New Member

Master Ball is surprisingly good, I think most people actually forget that it is allowed in Modified.. :)

9. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

Masterball is seriously underappreciated. In Modified, the typical deck has at least 20 Pokémon. That's 1/3 of your deck, meaning that it is extremely likely at least one card needed will be among the top 7 in your draw pile.

Masterball is especially good during the early game setup phase.

Pokéball is a tail-fails card. Virtually no tails-fails cards are worth playing. Pokéball is no exception.

I'd much rather invest those 4 card slots in a 2/2 Delcatty line and draw into the cards I need!

10. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Gonna have to go with what a lot of people are saying-Pokeball is probably the least of the non-supporter search Trainers. Still, for those that lack the others, it can be good filler. IRL, I don't have a lot of options, but then again, I won't be playing more than once a month, and that will be possible Unlimited Tournaments. As for on-line, Master-ball and Wynaut seem to work best for me. Wynaut is great for starting the game-keep attaching Energy, and when it looks like you are going to be KO'd, evolve into Wobbuffet (which you should grab first or second Alluring Smile). time it right and you can grab a good supporting line or you main hitter, then evolve into SS Ffet to go for an early prize or two (after attaching your third energy). In my "cricle", most of us find that Masterball rarely fails. When it does, its usually being played late game, when you ahve already grabbed most Pokemon from your deck.

As for supporter counts, I think most of my decks run between 8-13.

11. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Go with master ball. It is a lot better. After your first draw, you have 46 cards left in your deck. Master ball looks at seven, and if you have 3 or 4 of the poke yur looking 4, than there's a 50/50 chance it'll be there first turn. Same with pokeball. However, Master Ball's chances get higher every time you draw, so it beats pokeball out.

:unknown-u :unknown-o :unknown-o :unknown-p :unknown-e :unknown-r

12. Super Sonik

Super Sonik New Member

Well think about it this way: if people loved Focus Band so much, and it required a flip, why not use :pokeball:
    :D

Sonik

13. registeel

registeel New Member

I like Master Ball soooooo much better than Pokeball.