Pokemon Organized Play plans

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by mysterioustrainer, Sep 9, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

I just obtained my Sandstorm Theme Decks and I am glad to say that there is actually some more information on what is to come for future events. I didn't notice anything that any of the boards haven't covered (but I could be wrong). Well here it goes:

Pokemon-e Trading Card Game League
    The Pokemon League is a fun participation based league that awards players with cool promo cards and prizes as they earn participation points. League formats are determined by league leaders and players so that everyone is playing their favorite Pokemon formats!

My thoughts: Sounds fairly fun doesn't it.

Prerelease Tournaments
    A chance to see new cards weeks before they're released! Winners receive prerelease products too! Everyone gets a promo card just for playing!

Well with Sandstorm now and the EX3 set soon enough we should be able to see more of these.

Gym Ladder
    Players compete to hold the top 'rung' on the ladder! Each sesson the best three players get cool prize cards and everyone gets a promo card just for playing! The top four players from each Gym represent their Gym as a team at the City Championships!

Promo for playing? Cool. It is during league so you got to fight hard and be there each week.

City Championships
    Local area players compete for the title of City Champion! Gym ladder teams also compete to be crowned City Team Champions!

But what if the city only has one league? Oh well, just fight for bragging rights.

State Championships
    Local players compete for the title of Pokemon-e TCG State Champion! Winners earn tropies and other cool prizes!

I always wanted Fort Collins, Denver, and Colorado Springs to go head to head to head. I wonder how these get underway.

Gym Challenge
    Players earn an invite to compete in the World Championships by winning a Gym Challenge! Earn ranking points and lots of other fantastic prizes!

There back. Note they are not the same as the Citys and States but just one region qualifiers. Ranking points? Must be like Pro Points(M:tg) or Kai points (DBZ:TCG) so they can pick wild cards for Worlds.

Stadium Challenge
    Mutliple players across the select regions can earn invites to compete in the World Championships! Lots of great prizes awarded as well as ranking points!

Multiple players...that is a good thing. I hope I can go to one of these this time.

World Championships
    The Final Test! An invite-only event where the best players in the world, in each of the three age brackets, compete for the ultimate title. Pokemon-e TCG World Champion!

Worlds will be back. What I like is the fact of all three age brackets is in it!

Well that is all I have to say, what about you?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

I have but one thing to say:

Sweet.

3. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

This is going to rule....

OK, Myst wins Wyoming.... :lol:

I KNEW Nintendo would get it right!!!

See you at my pre-release!!!

Meganium45

4. mysterioustrainer

Very funny.

5. Pablo

Pablo New Member

hmmm i wonder which countries does this World's Include :p It would be very nice to have a WORLD Champioship, with players from around the world, instead of only Europe and the US.... *starts dreaming*...... sigh....

6. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

I wonder if they are going to restrict you to playing in your own state, so us Travellers will not get carried away (I can run the tourney in MO, then play in IL, KS, AK, heck, CO, AL, MS, and be the only player out of Maine!!! It's only a 27 hour drive for a tourney, you know we'll do it...(but we will have to play those insane travelling Florida Players!! and KY Dads group who will also be there!!!)

Oh, great days ahead.....

Meganium45 - I can ask to run the tourneys for Missouri, and Arkansas, and Kansas (If I can do it in Overland Park) and Iowa, and Arkansas!!! WOOT, this could be fun!!!!

:D :confused: :mad: :eek:

7. mysterioustrainer

With the game even now closer to Japan's and with Pokemon USA in control, I would not be surprised if it is finally an all out World Championship including Japanesse players. Also note that Organized Play will only come for those who push for it (get Nintendo's attention, develop countrywide organized play (even if it is not offical yet), express interest, dont give up, eat Maple Bars).

8. mysterioustrainer

I highly doubt it. We may be restricted to City Championships since they are based on Gym Ladder competition however even then some traveling will have to be done. I am the perfect example because I have to travel to Fort Collins, Colorado in order to play. No doubt State could as be referred to region in such cases.

9. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

Heh, beat me to it. :) It's nice to know I can use my own formats with my League. :)

10. Tails

Tails New Member

Interesting structure, to say the least. Looks like they're trying to push it in the direction of Magic... Y'know, as a top-tier game?

Now... if only a league could get started up around here... then I could shoot for at LEAST States. ::looks around for a willing shop... for the third time::

11. IndigoMaster

IndigoMaster New Member

Whoa...NEED to know a format

I like the structure...although i'd like to see what they are gonna have in the ways of prizes, i would be quite disappointed if they didn't provide trips for at least the 14-, and i would really like to see the 15+ at it...

12. mysterioustrainer

I am sure there will be news on that soon enough, I keep checking http://op.pokemon-tcg.com every day for something new. Also these new events aren't coming any time soon, it is just nice to see that they are planning all of these kinds of events for us.

I have a feeling that paid trips will be avalable to all three age divisions, since they are encouraging all three age brackets.

13. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

that is cool that they put this information in the starter deck for the reason the players who pick one up will know what to look forward to. They way they can check out their local area for stuff and such. Not just the players here, Pokemon-tcg site, or other sites to get the information.

14. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

This......is..........GREAT!!!!!! :D :D :thumb:
    Worlds, Gym Challenges, city rivalries, state rivalries. Now I just gotta train 2 more Northgate players to tournament status. :D
    Now let's just hope Nintendo will stay true to this. But I am confident.
    Afterall, do Theme Decks lie? ;)

15. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

And how about Theme decklists?

16. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Ok, one question that the above doesn't exactly clarify...
    Are the Gym and Stadium Challenges just walk-up events as WotC ran them, meaning, run separately from league and so on?
    Or do you have to have some kind of ranking in your City, league, etc. to be allowed at the Gym/Stadium Challenges?

I hope they do it as WotC did, as there isn't a single league anywhere nearby me. Yes, there's one near Philly, but I reeeally am not going to drive 2 hours each way for a couple hours of gameplay.

Even though I doubt it, I want to be sure that you don't have to be connected with league to be able to compete in the various Challenges.

I'm pretty sure the Challenges are separate, as WotC ran it, but nothing's for certain...

17. mysterioustrainer

Yes the Expedition Theme decks lied in their rulebook. However I doubt that Nintendo isn't going to pull back since they haven't even started yet.

You can find the contents of each theme deck on my topic in the decks forum. Checklists? Well I am updating my excel file of all english cards to include sandstorm. I post the new version online soon enough.

I do believe the Gym and Stadiums will be any player allowed. City and States are just to be city and states. You have to go to a Gym Challenge to be apart of the World Championship.

18. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Chaw, just cannot wait!!!!

19. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

This is great and all. But its going to end up a mess up at the local level in my opinion. Hopefully, the OP team will do some sort of seminar training at future big events for all Professors to attend to teach judging/organizing skills. That OR send a representative from PKMNUSA that lives locally in the area to train Leagues and underranked Professors how to run tournaments. We really need this in some locations.

Either one should really present the information, roleplay a bit, and then give the Professor actually work time as a judge/organizer. Following that, tests could be given out. This is really truly following the procedures that Magic Primere Judges have and it works. All to often I've seen and actually ran into one kid who took the test for their parental guardian online where that sort of stuff cannot be traced. Why? Well mostly due to gaining entry into events, I suppose, and freebies. But that is not the kind of people we need in the program with all this future organized play to support.

Perhaps this could be the way to gain Master Professor and beyond, by actually seeing the judge/tournament organizer following procedures? This process, instead of just TOing/HJing five tournaments, would really set a standard for and increase the outcome of future events country and worldwide.

The way the event is handled, regardless of prizes, really makes or breaks the tournament. I've seen happier kids walk out of Renee Martinez's tournaments at Colesium of Comics in Orlando with just a winner's promo and a reprint promo of the season! Why? They (including Doug and Arnaldo) know their stuff and have so much tournament playing experience that it makes the Hasbro executives, that banned the 15+ from the spotlight, cry like unhappy babies. Hasbro sacrificed a good amount of players for prize support that could have smoothly taken responsability for local organized play, it was happening slowly then without the support of the Professor Program (god bless MTM). But with that 15+ announcement, it stopped all local activities in my area and most likely your's too. There is a clear sharp drop of DCI sanctioned tournaments following that announcement (I only know since I downloaded all the major events and Florida tournaments from the DCI site before they go off :p).

By opening up a training program of sorts, it would encourage older players to take responsability of events to run them properly for the sake of the community. Strengthening the community results in more primere OPportunities (get is OrganizedPlay... OPportunities... hahahaha). That and it allows tournament organizers and judges to stop, switch out, and play in a tournament while a fellow Professors takes responsability over the tournament. Phil reeeeaaaally wants to play Sandstorm prerelease :D
    -Phil

20. mysterioustrainer

I am kinda confused. Yeah your right about the tragdy of the 15+. But this division is back in the league. My league is really showing interest for the new programs coming and is also looking forward to new 15+ OP. It doesn't hurt for professors to learn more about what they do but other professors is the ones to help them the most. Pokemon-e TCG is not Magic (as in player base and tournament play). So the need for an extensive training program for professors by Nintendo/POP in my opinion is not worth while. Nintendo/POP is already planinng requirements and standards for the Professor Program far more extensive than WotC had in mind. The professors will even more show the their place in the Pokemon-e TCG as professional players, judges and teachers to other players, parents, and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.