Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon TFG Launch Pushed Back Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkTwins

Hi,

Just got word that the TFG release date for the first set in the US has been moved from Sept. 19 to Oct. 3rd. I just thought everyone would want to know.

Drew

Sucks for you, we have had it since, like May.
But it's not that amazing really. I'll stick to TCG.
But it is fun as side events and stuff, but I hope it will never have organied play, since it is much luck based.

Honestly, it makes no sense to showcase a game at Origins/Comic-Con and then release it 4 months later. By that time, most of the people that were interested in it when they saw it in person have totally moved and are focusing on other things.

I'd like to see the game not just bomb like other figure games (Dungeon Dice Monsters comes to mind) but the way this is heading, I don't see a big future for the game.

Will we get any explanation for this delay? My league store (BAM) will think I'm crazy when I tell then a 3rd date for release!

Keith

The biggest worry has to be that the constant delays in release coupled with the failure of the figures elsewhere in the world suggests that the TFG is more likely to fail than to succeed. This has nothing to do with the quality of the game or figures, even good games fail in the marketplace.

The TFG is now being remaindered in the UK: less than one quarter of the original RRP over here. I'm off to the local shops to see if they have any left in a few minutes.

Hmmmm. I guess that gives me more time to save up for it.

If nothing else, the figures will look good on my dresser and make great League giveaways.

- Croatian_Nidoking

The problem with the outside-US releases thusfar, from what I've seen, has been a near total lack of marketing, in combination with overly high prices, poor packaging designs (totally random boosters at that price is a no-no), and the issues with figure distribution and rarity in those packages (I've gone over this before, but to be brief...if you bought 8 boosters of 2 figures each...you'd probably get 5-8 unique figures, with the rest duplicates of those in various distributions).

Here's another way to look at this.

Yes it is unfortunate that the release date is pushed back a little bit for the second or third time. That is not atypical in the first run of any new product. Think about it, would you rather a rushed release or one that is released when it is ready? Additionally, there are many factors that could delay production. A lot of folks need to understand and work in the competitive market place to fully appreciate this.

Also, relative to the TCG vs the TFG. We should all encourage the TFG for either collectors or players. Understand the marketing strategy. Cards are 2-D and need to be read. To play the TCG you need to have some real understanding of how cards go together and all the fun stuff that goes into TCG OP.

Now the TFG is 3-D, highly attractive, easy to envision, and super cool for kids (young and old alike). What better way to start children into Pokémon than this. Think of them like the next phase after plushies and plastic figures. Here are where the seeds to future TCG OP players are sewn.

Finally, I personally take umbrage to all the folks out there who take every chance to dump on PUI. Whether it be the delay in the TFG or release of certain TCs or whatever.

For once, why don't you wish PUI "Good Luck" and "Hope it all works out!". Support PUI in all it's endeavors. Don't be myopic on the TCG only.

Steve

Last edited:
Well now that the figures are affordable in the UK I'm planning on using a few duplicates as league prizes.

regarding the delay: if a lot of product has just been remaindered in Europe then that would be a very good reason not to launch in the USA right now. At $2 a figure the grey market would potentially spoil the launch.

I hope that the TFG succeeds in the USA. I bet there have been some interesting meetings discussing just who is the target market for the figures. I'm sure I can make a case both for and against the idea of hidden figures especially at a $3.95 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back