Pokemon Video Game Showdown - Now with photos!

Discussion in 'Pokémon News' started by SD PokeMom, May 15, 2008.

1. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://showdown.pokemon.com/

POKÉMON ANNOUNCES VIDEO GAME SHOWDOWN BETWEEN U.S. AND JAPAN

The Most Talented Pokémon Players Will Compete in Los Angeles and New York for a Chance to Battle the Best Players from Japan

Bellevue, WA – May 15, 2008 – Pokémon USA, Inc., has announced the first-ever Video Game Showdown, pitting the most skilled Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl players from the United States and Japan in a battle to determine the ultimate champion. The Pokémon Video Game Showdown will take place August 16 in Orlando, Florida and will feature 32 of the most talented players from each nation.

To win a seat in the Pokémon Video Game Showdown, players must compete and win at one of two Qualifier Tournaments taking place in Los Angeles and New York on July 12 and July 19, respectively. A total of 256 players in each city will battle for sixteen paid trips for two to Orlando to compete in the Pokémon Video Game Showdown. To enter for a chance to play in the Qualifier Tournaments, players must register and complete a Pokémon online quiz at http://showdown.pokemon.com.

“Pokémon strives to create fun products and events for players of all skill levels and interests,” said J.C. Smith, director of marketing for Pokémon USA, Inc. “The Pokémon Video Game Showdown provides the most skilled Pokémon players an opportunity to determine who is truly the best.”

More information, including prizes, tournament locations, times, and rules, can be found by visiting http://showdown.pokemon.com.

'mom

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  2. We need a qualifier here in Texas.

3. Prof Clay

Prof Clay New Member

Very cool...its about time they coordinated something like this.

I always thought that Nationals should be an event like this where the TCG and video game players could all come together in a nice central location like....MEMPHIS :thumb:

Maybe next year

4. SeiferA

SeiferA New Member

welp, now I HAVE to go to worlds now XD.

I'm not about to miss an epic showdown between the japanese and american players in the gaming category.

would've been nice if they had qualifiers like JAA 06, as in several dozen towns or so having the competition =/

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  5. PokemonSteve

PokemonSteve New Member

And UK players can't take part!!! I'm gonna pose as a american then.

6. wac718

wac718 New Member

We should have a qualifier event at nationals!

7. ~Blazi-King~

~Blazi-King~ New Member

Im glad I will be going to the Qualifier in New York!

8. SD PokeMom

unless your my pokemon account identifies you as a US player, i don't think that's gonna fly...

'mom

9. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Man! No east coast/west coast bias in this event, eh?

Have fun guys.

Vince

10. garchompx12

garchompx12 New Member

YESSSS i live 15 minutes away from NY

11. dtrain

dtrain New Member

I'm down for this

12. PkmnManiac

PkmnManiac New Member

HELLO!?!?

Those two cities aren't really the best place if you want to compete. They should've had something like the JAA from years ago.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

How the heck are you going all the way over there? (can i come? :p)

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  13. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 New Member

bleh. Thats terrible. They should have had it in multiple locations like Jaa's.

14. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

I won't be playing in this, but I may have to have a friend fly out to play in this. :biggrin:

Drew

15. SD PokeMom

um, isn't this something you have to 'qualify' for via online quiz to earn an invite, rather than just show up to the venue and play...just like JAA?

'mom

16. What happens if someone is qulifiyed for Worlds and the Video Game Showdown?

17. vaporeon

vaporeon Moderator

Same here. I don't know why they only put them is like 2 states. I was trying to find rules on what Pokemon can and can't be used but I don't see any. This tournament is going to suck more then likely because they don't ever have stable rules.

18. I am reading it like this...

To qualify for the qulifyer in NY or LA you need to take some online quiz.... first 128 in the 2 age divisions (SR- '95 and earlyer & JR '96 and later) gets in to the qulifyer

You pay your way to the qulifyer in NY or LA where 8 people per age divison (16 per qulifyer) (32 from US) gets trips to Orlando for the show down

64 Players (16 US SR's (8 from each qulifyer), 16 US JR's (8 from each qulifyer) , 16 Japannese SR's, 16 Japannese JR's,) will play in the showdown in Orlando

19. AwesomeLatios

AwesomeLatios New Member

Those are all the rules from the site. Terrible rules, huh?

20. SeiferA

SeiferA New Member

all the slots are already filled. I passed the test, but got into a drawing instead.

Questions were definitely easier than they were in JAA 06's quiz.